WINDY CITY TIMES
||Task Force names Trans/Gender Non-Confirming Justice Project Director
From a National LGBTQ Task Force press release
This article shared 2443 times since Tue Nov 17, 2015
Washington, D.C., November 16, 2015—The National LGBTQ Task Force has announced that Victoria Rodriguez-Roldan has joined the organization as the new Trans/Gender Non-Confirming Justice Project Director. Rodriguez-Roldan begins her work at the National LGBTQ Task Force as the organization kicks off a series of actions as part of Transgender Awareness Week.
"We're very excited to have Victoria join the National LGBTQ Task Force family," said Rea Carey, National LGBTQ Task Force Executive Director. "Victoria brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in advocating on behalf of transgender and gender non-conforming people."
Born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Rodriguez-Roldan began her advocacy work as the Commonwealth's Senate campaign staffer. While a student at the University of Puerto Rico, she became the first openly transgender member of student government and pushed the school's administration for transgender accessible student I.D. policies.
"As a trans woman and as an activist who has spent much of my life dedicated to the rights of the trans community, I am honored to be joining the National LGBTQ Task Force. I look forward to helping achieve justice and equality for the trans and gender non-conforming community. I look forward to ensuring that the movement is a truly inclusive one to all trans people, such as trans women of color, gender non-binary people, trans people with disabilities, and others," said Victoria Rodriguez-Roldan."
In 2011, Victoria was named a Truman Scholar for her passion for public service. In 2013, she was selected as a Holley Law Fellow by the National LGBTQ Task Force. Rodriguez-Roldan also led a successful lobbying campaign for transgender inclusive driver's licenses and state ID documents in Puerto Rico, which resulted in a gubernatorial executive order. Most recently, Rodriguez-Roldan worked as an Equal Opportunity Specialist for the U.S. Department of Labor's Civil Rights Center. She holds a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology with honors from the University of Puerto Rico and a J.D. from the University Of Maine School Of Law.
The National LGBTQ Task Force works to secure full freedom, justice and equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer ( LGBTQ ) people. For over forty years, we have been at the forefront of the social justice movement by training thousands of organizers and advocating for change at the federal, state, and local level. www.thetaskforce.org .
This article shared 2443 times since Tue Nov 17, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Biden nominates Dr. Rachel Levine, first trans person nominated for Senate-confirmed position
--From press releases - From Victory Institute: Washington, DC — President-elect Joe Biden nominated Pennsylvania Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine to be the U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health — a historic nomination that makes her the first out trans ...
|Biden picks transgender assistant health secretary
- President-elect Joe Biden has chosen Pennsylvania Health Secretary Rachel Levine to be his assistant secretary of health—positioning her to become the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate, a Seattle Times ...
|SHOWBIZ LGBTQ movies, 'Color Purple,' Nick Jonas, gay coach 2021-01-17|
- The film Draw with Me has launched its virtual theatrical release at ArenaScreen through Feb. 9, and was the subject of the first-ever panel at the United Nations on Transgender Health, a release stated. Featuring Jennifer ...
|Research on military trans ban shows urgency of Biden acting on pledge 2021-01-14|
--From a press release by The Palm Center - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|Trans woman, man killed in Chicago's Gresham area
- A transgender woman and a man were killed in a shooting Jan. 6 in Chicago's Gresham neighborhood, The Chicago Sun-Times reported. A gunman fired shots from a silver-colored vehicle about 5 a.m. in the 800 block ...
|Vulnerable communities slow to adopt key strategy to stop HIV's spread 2021-01-11|
--From a UCLA press release - LOS ANGELES — Taking a daily pill to prevent HIV transmission is one of the most effective biomedical strategies available to combat the virus' spread, yet use of this health regimen remains low among vulnerable communities ...
|SHOWBIZ Laverne Cox, lesbian coach, Jim Parsons, 'Brokeback,' theater items 2021-01-11|
- Laverne Cox is teaming with Meryl Streep and Rashida Jones to executive-produce a new documentary exploring one of the most critical issues at the intersection of race, feminism, and power: the sex industry, out.com noted. Sell/Buy/Date ...
|NATIONAL Anti-bias rule nixed, trans deaths, lesbian archivist dies 2021-01-11|
- Under the cover of chaos the day after Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, the Trump administration officially nixed regulations barring federal grantees in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) from discriminating against LGBTQ ...
|WORLD Greece appointee, India trans items, top LGBTQ issues 2021-01-11|
- The center-right government of Greece announced the country's first out minister, out.com reported. Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis appointed Nicholas Yatromanolakis as the new deputy minister of culture. The 44-year-old native ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|New reports from Palm Center look at military transgender ban, Biden's position 2021-01-01|
From a press release - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|Legislators partner with Chicago group for trans women's funeral expenses
- Several LGBTQ and allied legislators are partnering with Chicago-based trans organization Brave Space Alliance (BSA) to establish a dedicated fund to support the funeral expenses of local trans women who have been murdered. The lawmakers are ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans movie, best/worst LGBTQ films, sports items, Whitney 2020-12-27|
- Shout! Studios entered into an exclusive deal with Kirkpatrick & Kinslow Productions (KKP) and Scatena & Rosner Films (SNR) to distribute the new LGBTQ-focused documentary The Sound of Identity, a press release noted. The movie chronicles ...
|NATIONAL Aimee Stephens, GNC teen murdered, Katie Hill, Amazon 2020-12-27|
- A consent decree ordered that Michigan business Harris Funeral Homes—which fired the late Aimee Stephens for being transgender and led her to sue the business in litigation that made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court—must ...