WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER Termen Vox Machina
by Jonathan Abarbanel, Theater Editor
This article shared 7670 times since Wed Jul 16, 2008
The Theremin is the ethereal-sounding electronic instrument often used in science-fiction films. ( Think of the theme music for the original Star Trek. ) This is ironic, perhaps, the life of its inventor, Russian electronics genius Lev Sergeivitch Termen, seems like a work of science fiction itself. Termen ( 1896-1993 ) lived in Russia and the Soviet Union most of his long life, except 1928-1938 in the United States, where he renamed himself Leon Theremin and scandalized society by marrying a Negro ballerina. She was the second of three wives in a picaresque life of close escapes, financial shenanigans, espionage ( he invented electronic spying ) , pioneering electronic music ( he created Theremin orchestras and was soloist with the New York Philharmonic ) and political fortunes tied to the whims of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin.
Playwright: MDeegan ( sic ) . At: Oracle Productions, 3809 N. Broadway. Phone: 773-244-2980; $18. Runs through: Aug. 3. Termen Vox Machina. Photo by Laura Smith.
It's all recounted in Termen Vox Machina, but you'll learn much of it indirectly and not literally. A radio play intentionally written for the stage, it's the story of a shadowy life told in glimpses and impressions rather than as facts-and-dates or chronological history. Few situations are fully explained, few characters are completely charted, yet the total effect is nearly wonderful and certainly highly theatrical. The work jumps off from Termen's middle years after his return to the Soviet Union ( 1938 ) and after World War II. In his fevered brain, Termen conducts an ethereal review of his life, loves and times by channeling the radio waves he employed in his scientific work. He constantly must 'retune' and seek 'a steady frequency' as Lenin, Stalin, his wives, other liaisons and his daughter all appear before him ( although his precise relationship to each woman isn't always discernable ) .
In an unusual and creative theatrical presentation, the sound and voices of the 85-minute show are entirely pre-recorded by actors from the Filament Theatre Company in Los Angeles, which created the work, and physically performed by Chicago actors who brilliantly lip-sync all the dialogue even as several play multiple roles. The scenic design ( Tyler Burke ) features at least five ( maybe six? ) layers of curtains made of semi-transparent plastic sheeting. Actors step back and forth through them, creating increasingly diffuse and ghostly images with each layer of removal, lit with eerie moodiness by Mac Vaughey and Eric Van Tassell. There's even an ominous figure with a light shining from his mouth. Also, some figures appear in video ( by Gimpydog Productions ) , sometimes projected on the body of another actor. Carl Wisniewski leads the hard-working ensemble as Termen. Wonderfully expressive and physical, he sweats buckets in the intimate 35-seat storefront, helping to create not only the mood of old-time radio mysteries but also the expressionistic confusion of memory.
Termen Vox Machina is off-Loop at its best, a creative and surprising objet d'art.
This article shared 7670 times since Wed Jul 16, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'The Last Pair of Earlies' running Oct. 27-Dec. 12 at Raven 2021-09-28|
- Raven Theatre, Chicago's newest Equity-affiliated theatre, is welcoming back audiences this fall with the world premiere of Joshua Allen's The Last Pair of Earlies, directed by Wardell Julius Clark. This new dramawhich follows the hardships ...
|Next OUTspoken 'Storytelling Night' Oct. 5 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - Six Chicagoans will tell compelling stories with a LGBTQ+ perspective when another OUTspoken "Storytelling Night" takes place Tuesday, Oct. 5, starting at 7 p.m., at Sidetrack Bar, 3349 N. Halsted St. All attendees must be masked ...
|THEATER 'Moulin Rouge!,' gay play 'The Inheritance' win top Tonys 2021-09-27|
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical was the runaway winner at the Tony Awards on Sept. 26, snagging 10 awards. Among its honors were Best Musical, Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Volume 5-SEX! 2021-09-24|
- Title: The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Volume 5—SEX! Playwright: David Cerda At: Hell In a Handbag Productions at the Leather Archives and Museum. Tickets: $27-$45. Runs through: HandbagProductions.org It could almost be the premise for ...
|THEATER Ex-'Jagged Little Pill' performers accuse production of anti-TGNC behavior 2021-09-24|
- Two former cast members of Broadway's Jagged Little Pillincluding Tony-nominated featured actress Celia Rose Goodingreleased statements accusing the production of committing "harm to the trans and non-binary community, both onstage ...
|TimeLine Theatre Company announces 25th Anniversary Season 2021-09-24|
Video below--From a press release - Chicago, IL, September 24, 2021 TimeLine Theatre Company, acclaimed for presenting plays that explore today's social and political issues through the lens of the past, is thrilled to announce that it will celebrate its 25th ...
|'Firebird' opens Reeling Chicago LGBTQ+ Internat'l Film Fest tonight 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois — Tonight, the 39th annual Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival invites audiences to enjoy an in-person pre-party and theater screening of 'Firebird' for Opening Night at the Music Box Theater. Director P ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf's 'Bug' running Nov. 11-Dec. 12 2021-09-22|
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company will welcome audiences back for in-person performances for the first time in 20 months with its acclaimed revival of Bug by ensemble member Tracy Letts, in the Downstairs Theater on Nov. 11-Dec. 12. ...
|THEATER 'Hot Pink, or Ready to Blow' available for download 2021-09-21|
- It's Pompeii meets Heathers as New American Folk Theatre continues its "season of audio theatre" with a new studio recording of its 2018 hit comedy Hot Pink, or Ready to Blow. The production was written by ...
|Congo Square Theatre Co. announces new Artistic Director Ericka Ratcliff 2021-09-20|
- Congo Square Theatre Company, an African American theater company, announced that longtime company member Ericka Ratcliff will serve as its new artistic director, effective immediately. Ratcliff becomes only the fourth ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf presenting three Tracy Letts virtual works Sept. 29-Oct. 24 2021-09-18|
- Leading up to ensemble member Tracy Letts' production Bug returning this November to Steppenwolf's Downstairs Theater, the company is bringing audiences a sampler of the playwright's voice to their homes with a trio of new virtual ...
|Frank Ferrante to return as 'Groucho' for one night 2021-09-15|
- Actor/director Frank Ferrante returns to his internationally heralded stage performance for one night only in "An Evening With Groucho" on Tuesday, Oct. 26, at the Spiegeltent ZaZou, on the 14th floor of the Cambria Hotel Chicago ...
|THEATER Out actor Dan Butler to be in 'When Harry Met Rehab' 2021-09-15|
- Don Clark, a Chicago-based film/theater producer as well as co-owner of the Chicago Magic Lounge, will present the world premiere of When Harry Met Rehaba comedy that takes sobriety seriously and is based loosely on the ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|First Floor Theater announces 2021-22 season 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (Sept. 13, 2021) — First Floor Theater is excited to announce their ninth live-production season, featuring one world premiere and one Chicago premiere, along with a second round of The Blueprint Commission, it' new ...