WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER Shakespeare's Globe Theatre comes to Chicago Shakespeare Theater for a Treat
This article shared 3522 times since Wed Sep 17, 2003
Direct from its sold-out run in London and as part of its first American tour, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre comes to Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier with its celebrated production of Twelfth Night or What You Will for a limited, three-week holiday engagement, Nov. 26 through Dec. 14. Shakespeare's Globe Artistic Director Mark Rylance as Olivia leads the all-male cast in an 'original practices' production of Shakespeare's comedy, featuring recreations of Elizabethan dress, dance and musical instruments true to Shakespeare's time. The Master of the Play (director) is Tim Carroll.
In the Elizabethan tradition, Twelfth Night presents an all-male ensemble who play all the roles. 'We chose the known original practices that may be helpful to the modern relationship between actor and audience,' explains Mark Rylance. 'Hand-made clothing, live music and dance of the period, not to mention single-gender casting, have created worlds close to the worlds of the original writing.' Described by The New York Times as 'gleaming like a newly restored painting by an old master,' Shakespeare's Globe production of Twelfth Night will transport audiences to the period of the play's first recorded performance 400 years ago.
Running concurrently with Chicago Shakespeare Theater productions, the Newberry Library, located at 60 W. Walton, presents Elizabeth I: Ruler and Legend, the largest exhibition in North America commemorating Queen Elizabeth I's reign on the 400th anniversary of her death. In conjunction with this exhibit, Chicago Shakespeare Theater will host two audience enrichment programs that will bring scholars and artists together to discuss 'Shakespeare: Then and Now.' The programs include: Shakespeare Now: Shaping Shakespeare for a New Millennium Monday, Oct. 27, moderated by Jeffrey Masten (Northwestern University) and Shakespeare Then: Exploring Original Practice at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on Monday, Dec. 8, moderated by David Bevington (University of Chicago). Admission is free and reservations are requested through Chicago Shakespeare's Box Office at (312) 595-5600.
This article shared 3522 times since Wed Sep 17, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Jane Lynch, Dwayne Johnson, 'Star Trek,' Beyonce, Shea Coulee 2022-08-07|
- NBC has renewed the Jane Lynch-hosted game show Weakest Link for a third season, Variety noted. Season three will run for 20 episodes. The series is based on a British format distributed by BBC Studios that ...
|Casting announced for queer-centered play 'St. Sebastian' 2022-08-05|
- Refracted Theatre Company announced casting for its world premiere of Andrew Kramer's dark comedy St. Sebastian, directed by Artistic Director Graham Miller. The play features Nolan Robinson, Mack Spotts and ...
|Angelica Ross to be first trans lead in Broadway's 'Chicago' 2022-08-04|
- Trans actors have made all sorts of impressions on Broadway, but former Chicagoan Angelica Ross has set a precedent. Next month, the leading role of fame-hungry murderess Roxie Hart will be played by Angelica Ross. Ross ...
|PASSAGES Chicago Latino Theater Alliance Executive Director Myrna Salazar dies at 75 2022-08-04|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced that co-founder and Executive Director Myrna Salazar passed away Aug. 3two weeks after celebrating her 75th birthday. According to a press release, "Salazar ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Oak Park Festival Theatre's 'The Winter's Tale' running thru Aug. 20 2022-08-02|
- Oak Park Festival Theatre's The Winter's Tale will run at Austin Gardens (167 Forest Ave., Oak Park) through Sunday, Aug. 20. The Winter's Tale marks Oak Park Festival Theatre's return to the stage after a devastating ...
|Story Jam and Cerqua Rivera collaboration on July 27 at Artifact Events 2022-07-25|
- Story Jam's next storytelling show—in a series of monthly shows at Artifact Events —will take place Wed., July 27, at 7:30 p.m. at 4325 N. Ravenswood Ave. "Living Truth: True Stories" is a storytelling collaboration with ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, 'Game of Thrones' prequel, Dexter Mayfield, Shania Twain 2022-07-24|
- The Broadway League announced that theaters will continue their recently adopted mask-optional policy for audiences at least through August, Deadline reported. The mask-optional policy—in which audiences are encouraged but not ...
|THEATER 'The Mamalogues' in Evanston on July 23-Aug. 7 2022-07-19|
- The Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre will present Lisa B. Thompson's The Mamaloguesan evening of monologues about the experience of parenting while Black, unmarried and middle-class in the age of anxietyfrom July 23 to Aug. 7 at the Noyes ...
|THEATER 'The Devil Wears Prada' cast members dish about musical's Chicago debut 2022-07-18|
- "All right, everyone! Gird your loins" as a stage musical version of The Devil Wears Prada is set for a world premiere in the Windy City this July as part of the lineup for Broadway in Chicago. Tony Award winner Beth ...
|SHOWBIZ Warhol/Basquiat, 'Raven's Home,' Jonathan Bailey, Broadway, Ricky Martin 2022-07-17|
Video below - The Collaboration—Anthony McCarten's hit London play about artists Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat—will make its U.S. premiere on Broadway this fall, with Paul Bettany and Jeremy Pope as the two ...
|'A Midsummer Night's Dream' in Chicago parks through Aug. 21 2022-07-16|
- For Midsommer Flight's annual summer production of Shakespeare in Chicago parks, the company will celebrate its 10th anniversary by revisiting the play that in 2012 began the company's 10-year run as an arts partner with Chicago ...
|Streisand interpreter Steven Brinberg at The Acorn on July 31 2022-07-16|
- Celebrating Barbra Streisand's 80th birthday, Steven Brinberg will perform the live musical performance "Simply Barbra" on Sunday, July 31, at The Acorn, 107 Generation Dr., Three Oaks, Michigan (approximately 70 miles from Chicago). ...
|THEATER Lookingglass event 'Sunset 1919' taking place July 27 2022-07-16|
- Lookingglass Theatre Company begins its 35th season with "Sunset 1919: A Ritual" on Wed., July 27, at the Eugene Williams Memorial Marker, 125 Ft. Dearborn Dr., at 7 p.m. The location is near 29th Street, on ...
|THEATER REVIEW A Fine Feathered Murder: A Miss Marbled Mystery 2022-07-15|
- A Fine Feathered Murder: A Miss Marbled Mystery. Playwright: David Cerda At: Hell In a Handbag Productions at the Chopin Theatre, 1543 W. Division St. Tickets: $29-$65. Runs through: July 31 If your source material is ...