WINDY CITY TIMES
My Name Is
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 4956 times since Wed Sep 3, 2014
Playwright: adapted by Aaron Posner from the novel by Chaim Potok. At: Timeline Theatre Company at Stage 773, 1225 W. Belmont Ave. Tickets: 773-327-5252; www.timelinetheatre.com; $37-$50. Runs through: Oct. 18
To be a member of Brooklyn's Ladover Hassidic Jewish settlement in the 1940s and '50s was to occupytake a deep breath, nowa subsect of a subsect of yet another subsect of a religious minority whose numbers recently suffered a severe reduction at the hands of first, the Germans, then the Russians. Combine these factors with the Biblical proscription against the forging of graven images, and there can be no unlikelier spawning ground for a genius whose compulsive response to the chaos of his surroundings is to draw pictures of it.
The conflict between these two spheres is immediately apparent in Brian Sidney Bembridge's scenic design for this Timeline Theatre production, its predominant feature being a steep staircase against a bare wall that will soon be covered in sketches we can only imagine. Upstairs is young Asher Lev's room, underneath are the musiciansviolin, cello and clarinetwho provide a running commentary on the action, and at floor level, we see the world of his parents, whose obsession with the rescue and reparation of their persecuted brethren matches that of their son. This latter world also encompasses the wise rabbi who reluctantly permits Asher to study art under the tutelage of a sculptor who warns his pupil that the muse will lure him into dangerous realms, where his agony will eventually find its voice in the forbidden iconography of goyisch strangers.
"Be a great artist," Asher's mentor exhorts him. "It is the only justification for the pain you will cause." This pain dominates the themes in Chaim Potok's novel, narrated in first-person flashback by the "prodigy in payos" whose career-making masterwork ( foreshadowed in Bembridge's stage picture, but not revealed until the climactic moment ) will forever banish him from his hitherto-secure place in the universe. Aaron Posner's adaptation likewise roots its account in the perceptions of the devout acolyte portrayed with unflinching candor by Alex Weisman, while Danica Monroe and Lawrence Grimm acquit themselves in a diversity of roles, ranging from the troubled Rivkeh and Aryeh Lev to the secularized Jacob Kahn and his nude studio model.
Those whom the gods touch cannot escape undamaged. Our hero's origins may be parochial in the extreme, but his experience is that of every pilgrim forced to abandon home, community, familyevery vestige of identityto follow the call of the simultaneously "divine and demonic" creative power that art bestows upon disciples with the courage to receive it.
This article shared 4956 times since Wed Sep 3, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project to present dance concert 'Sans Pareil' 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Deeply Rooted Dance Theater joins the Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project again to take the stage in a dance concert entitled Sans Pareil—French for "unparalleled," a nod to the Haitian lineage of Chicago's founder, Jean-Baptiste Pointe ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|RuPaul's Drag Race WERQ THE WORLD in Chicago Aug. 4 2023-03-12|
--From a press release - RuPaul's Drag Race WERQ THE WORLD, the largest drag show on earth, returns in 2023 with a show in Chicago Aug. 4 and in 100+ cities across the United States, Canada, Australia, Asia, Europe and Mexico! ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Steppenwolf Theatre Company's 2023 Gala May 13 at The Old Post Office 2023-03-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 6, 2023) — The Steppenwolf Ensemble and Board of Trustees are pleased to host Steppenwolf 2023 Galaan unforgettable evening celebrating 47 years of powerful and thought-provoking storytelling. Emceed ...
|Center on Halsted presents annual Intergenerational Talent Show 2023-03-06|
- On March 2, Center on Halsted hosted its Fifth Annual Intergenerational Talent Show, featuring performances from participants from the Youth and Family Services and the Senior Services programs. Participants in the free event presented a program ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Theater Review: one in two 2023-03-01|
- Playwright: Donja R. Love. At: PrideArts at Pride Arts Center, 4139 N. Broadway Tickets: 773-857-0222; $35. Runs through March 19 Playwright Donja R. Love stresses that lower case letters should be used for the title of ...
|The Jeff Awards to honor Myrna Salazar with special non-Equity honor 2023-03-01|
--From a Jeff Awards press release - (March 1, 2023 - Chicago) — Recognizing a lifetime of theater excellence, the Joseph Jefferson Awards will honor the late arts activist Myrna Salazar at the organization's 49th Anniversary Non-Equity Awards celebration on Monday, March 2 ...
|PrideArts presents 'one in two' 2023-02-22|
--From a press release - Title: one in two. By Donja R. Love/ Directed by Jordan Ratlliff Monday, Feb. 20 - 7:30 p.m. Pride Arts Center, 4139 N. Broadway, Chicago One in two Black men in America who have sex with other men will be diagnosed ...
|Christine Heesun Hwang personifies Eponine in Les Miserables 2023-02-19|
- Out performer Christine Heesun Hwang "dreamed a dream" of joining the cast one of Les Miserables—now showing at the Cadillac Palace Theater—and now she's made that dream into a reality. Set in 19th-century France, Les Miserables ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...