WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER DuSable, puppet company to run Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest Eye'
This article shared 1126 times since Thu Jan 13, 2022
The DuSable Museum of African American History is partnering with the 4th Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival to present a production of The Bluest Eye, based on Toni Morrison's 1970 groundbreaking coming-of-age novel.
The production will run Jan. 28-30 at DuSable, 740 E. 56th Pl.
The Bluest Eye tells the indelible story of Pecola Breedlove, a young Black girl caught in tragic circumstances. Her best friend narrates Pecola's search for the source of responsibility and for an understanding of her own part in the story. The play examines how identity is shaped, while South African artist Janni Younge's puppetry highlights the formation and fragility of self, literally building the self as it is held and supported (or not) by a community at large.
Tickets are $30 ($20 for students) and are on sale now at chicagopuppetfest.org . The Bluest Eye runs two hours, and is recommended for people 16 and older.
Note: COVID-19 safety precautions will be in effect per city and state mandates, including proof of vaccination (with ID), and mandatory mask-wearing throughout the performance.
This article shared 1126 times since Thu Jan 13, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Writers Theatre's 2022-23 season to include 'Tiger Style!,' 'Once' and other productions 2022-06-21|
-- From a press release - Glencoe, ILWriters Theatre Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma and Interim Artistic Director Bobby Kennedy announce the company's 2022/23 four-play season, to include Mike Lew's Tiger Style!, directed by Brian Balcom; ...
|Goodman Theatre running musical 'Life After' through July 17 2022-06-20|
- Goodman Theatre is running the musical Life After through Sunday, July 17. With humor and wit, this "luminous new musical…lush, poetic and surprisingly funny" (The San Diego Union-Tribune) explores how people move through and live with ...
|Billy Masters 2022-06-20|
- "u don't know my alphabet."Sexy Lukas Gage (from The White Lotus; Love, Victor; and the rebooted Queer as Folk) tweets his response to criticism that Hollywood shouldn't hire him to play LGBTQIA+ roles. When asked to ...
|WORLD Pride disruption, trans journalists, Tunisian play, marriage bills 2022-06-19|
- Turkish police officers carrying clear-plastic riot shields, wielding batons and deploying pepper powder balls as well as tear gas violently broke up a Pride parade that Middle East Technical University students organized in the capital of ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Lightyear,' celebrity event, LGBT runner, Mariah Carey 2022-06-19|
Video below - Pixar's latest film Lightyear is hitting theaters, and it has a special moment for gay fans—a same-sex kiss between the character Hawthorne (voiced by Uzo Aduba) and her female partner—that almost didn't happen, Out Magazine note ...
|Steep Theatre's race-centered 'Paris' running June 17-July 23 2022-06-17|
- Steep Theatre, 1044 W. Berwyn Ave., will run the Eboni Booth work Paris on June 17-July 23. Jonathan Berry will direct. Returning home to the small town of Paris, Vermont, Emmie tries to make ends meet ...
|PERFORMANCE 'Moonset Sunrise' at Navy Pier on June 16 and 18 2022-06-15|
- Collaboraction announced that Moonset Sunrise, its 25th-anniversary production, with live performances on June 16 and 18 at 7:30 p.m. at Beat Kitchen's new Bar Sol on Navy Pier, 700 E. Grand Ave. Through healing ritual, storytelling, ...
|Queer-themed plays win Tonys; Hudson reaches EGOT status 2022-06-13|
- On June 12, the 75th annual Tony Awards were held to honor the top performances from the theater industry. The event—hosted by LGBTQ+ Oscar winner/Tony nominee Ariana DeBose at New York City's Radio City Music Hall—followed ...
|SHOWBIZ Jodie Comer, 'Queer As Folk,' trans film, Tom of Finland photos 2022-06-12|
- Jodie Comerthe Emmy- and BAFTA-winning actress perhaps best known for playing LGBTQ+ assassin Villanelle on BBC America's Killing Evewill make her Broadway debut next spring in Prima Facie, a new play by Suzie Miller, Deadline noted. ...
|Theo Ubique marks 25th-anniversary season with four musicals 2022-06-11|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (JUNE 10, 2022) Theo Ubique Cabaret Theatre's Artistic Director Fred Anzevino and Managing/Casting Director Christopher Pazdernik announced the 25th Anniversary season today with four musicals including a Midwest Premiere ...
|Strawdog Theatre announces new managing director and production manager 2022-06-10|
- Strawdog Theatre Company announced the appointments of Paul Cook (he/him) as its new managing director and Donna "Dante" Gary (they/them) as its new production manager. Cook has been the production manager at Strawdog since 2019 and ...
|TRAVEL Chicago theater blooms outside and out of town 2022-06-08|
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater is keeping its show docked at its Navy Pier facility and Oak Brook's First Folio Theatre is taking the summer off before re-commencing in the fall, but playgoers eager to swap the urban ...
|Drama Desk Awards to be presented June 14 in NYC 2022-06-08|
-- From a press release - Winners for the 66th Annual Drama Desk Awards were announced today. This year's Drama Desk Awards will take place at Sardi's Restaurant (234 W 44th Street) on Tuesday, June 14, 3-6 p.m. The full list of ...
|Theater Wit to run 'Hurricane Diane' starting June 17 2022-06-03|
- Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave., will run Hurricane Diane on June 17-July 31. Hurricane Diane is described as "a hilarious whirlwind of a play about a butch lesbian gardener who just might be the Greek ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Magnolia Ballet 2022-06-02|
- Title: The Magnolia Ballet. Playwright: Terry Guest At: About Face Theatre at the Den, 1333 N. MiIwaukee Ave. Tickets: $5-$35. Runs through: June 11 Ignore the play's title. Ignore the publicity photo, too. In fact, you ...