WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER August Wilson's 'Fences' running through Aug. 6 at Theater Wit
This article shared 621 times since Thu Jul 7, 2022
American Blues Theater is running Pulitzer Prize winner August Wilson's Fences at Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave., through Saturday, Aug. 6.
This drama is about Troy Maxson, a former star of the Negro Baseball League who now works as a garbage man in Pittsburgh. Troy and his wife, Rose, want the American Dream: to own a house with a white picket fence that keeps the family safe and trouble out. When mistrust builds and secrets are revealed, this Black family begins to crumble in the country's embrace.
The cast includes Kamal Angelo Bolden (Troy Maxson), Manny Buckley (Gabriel), Shanesia Davis (Rose), Ajax Dontavius (Cory), Martel Manning (Jim Bono), William Anthony Sebastian Rose II (Lyons) and Riley Wells (Raynell). Monty Cole is the director.
The running time is two hours and 15 minutes, with intermission. Tickets are $25-$45 + $2.75 Theater Wit venue fee; visit americanbluestheater.com/august-wilsons-fences/ .
This article shared 621 times since Thu Jul 7, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Congo Square Theatre's 'What to Send Up When It Goes Down' at Lookingglass on Sept. 24-Oct. 16 2022-08-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Aug. 10, 2022)—Congo Square Theatre Company, one of the nation's premier African American ensemble theater companies, and Lookingglass Theatre Company announce that single tickets are now on sale for ...
|Billy Masters 2022-08-08|
- "I wasn't trying to have his career because he sings, he dances. I'm barely a single threat. I'm just an actor."—Tuc Watkins, explaining how he emulated the career trajectory of Kevin Kline— to the best of ...
|SHOWBIZ Jane Lynch, Dwayne Johnson, 'Star Trek,' Beyonce, Shea Coulee 2022-08-07|
- NBC has renewed the Jane Lynch-hosted game show Weakest Link for a third season, Variety noted. Season three will run for 20 episodes. The series is based on a British format distributed by BBC Studios that ...
|Casting announced for queer-centered play 'St. Sebastian' 2022-08-05|
- Refracted Theatre Company announced casting for its world premiere of Andrew Kramer's dark comedy St. Sebastian, directed by Artistic Director Graham Miller. The play features Nolan Robinson, Mack Spotts and ...
|Angelica Ross to be first trans lead in Broadway's 'Chicago' 2022-08-04|
- Trans actors have made all sorts of impressions on Broadway, but former Chicagoan Angelica Ross has set a precedent. Next month, the leading role of fame-hungry murderess Roxie Hart will be played by Angelica Ross. Ross ...
|PASSAGES Chicago Latino Theater Alliance Executive Director Myrna Salazar dies at 75 2022-08-04|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced that co-founder and Executive Director Myrna Salazar passed away Aug. 3two weeks after celebrating her 75th birthday. According to a press release, "Salazar ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Oak Park Festival Theatre's 'The Winter's Tale' running thru Aug. 20 2022-08-02|
- Oak Park Festival Theatre's The Winter's Tale will run at Austin Gardens (167 Forest Ave., Oak Park) through Sunday, Aug. 20. The Winter's Tale marks Oak Park Festival Theatre's return to the stage after a devastating ...
|Story Jam and Cerqua Rivera collaboration on July 27 at Artifact Events 2022-07-25|
- Story Jam's next storytelling show—in a series of monthly shows at Artifact Events —will take place Wed., July 27, at 7:30 p.m. at 4325 N. Ravenswood Ave. "Living Truth: True Stories" is a storytelling collaboration with ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, 'Game of Thrones' prequel, Dexter Mayfield, Shania Twain 2022-07-24|
- The Broadway League announced that theaters will continue their recently adopted mask-optional policy for audiences at least through August, Deadline reported. The mask-optional policy—in which audiences are encouraged but not ...
|THEATER 'The Mamalogues' in Evanston on July 23-Aug. 7 2022-07-19|
- The Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre will present Lisa B. Thompson's The Mamaloguesan evening of monologues about the experience of parenting while Black, unmarried and middle-class in the age of anxietyfrom July 23 to Aug. 7 at the Noyes ...
|THEATER 'The Devil Wears Prada' cast members dish about musical's Chicago debut 2022-07-18|
- "All right, everyone! Gird your loins" as a stage musical version of The Devil Wears Prada is set for a world premiere in the Windy City this July as part of the lineup for Broadway in Chicago. Tony Award winner Beth ...
|SHOWBIZ Warhol/Basquiat, 'Raven's Home,' Jonathan Bailey, Broadway, Ricky Martin 2022-07-17|
Video below - The Collaboration—Anthony McCarten's hit London play about artists Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat—will make its U.S. premiere on Broadway this fall, with Paul Bettany and Jeremy Pope as the two ...
|'A Midsummer Night's Dream' in Chicago parks through Aug. 21 2022-07-16|
- For Midsommer Flight's annual summer production of Shakespeare in Chicago parks, the company will celebrate its 10th anniversary by revisiting the play that in 2012 began the company's 10-year run as an arts partner with Chicago ...
|Streisand interpreter Steven Brinberg at The Acorn on July 31 2022-07-16|
- Celebrating Barbra Streisand's 80th birthday, Steven Brinberg will perform the live musical performance "Simply Barbra" on Sunday, July 31, at The Acorn, 107 Generation Dr., Three Oaks, Michigan (approximately 70 miles from Chicago). ...