WINDY CITY TIMES
||Suburban legislator files Illinois restroom access bill
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 8067 times since Wed Jan 20, 2016
Illinois state Rep. Thomas Morrison ( R-Palatine ) filed legislation Jan. 20 that explicitly requires school pupils to use restrooms and changing facilities that correspond with their sex assigned at birth.
The bill, HB 4474, amends the School Code to require that facilities designate their facilities by sex, and mandates that students can only use the facilities of the sex that they were assigned at birth. It also puts into place a procedure wherein students can request use of single-occupancy facilities, or access to faculty bathrooms or changing rooms, if they do not wish to use their designated facilities.
The legislation effectively regulates how trans students can use bathrooms or locker rooms in their school. It follows a controversy in Morrison's district during a protracted legal battle between a transgender student and Township High School District 211. After a long dispute, and a determination of discrimination by federal regulators, the district allowed the student, a transgender girl, access to a private portion of the girl's locker room.
In December, Morrison wrote on his website that, "Over the last few weeks I have met with hundreds of people who are concerned about privacy issues for all public school students. I am in the process of finalizing legislation that creates a statewide standard that is both objective and fair so that every school district in Illinois can be confident in setting policy that respects the privacy of all students."
Restroom access for transgender individuals has arisen as a legislative issue in many states, including Indiana, Florida, Kentucky and Wisconsin, in recent years. Morrison's bill would next be sent to a House committee.
See www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp .
This article shared 8067 times since Wed Jan 20, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brave Space Alliance purchases South Side building in expansion move 2022-05-26|
- In its ongoing efforts to provide safe spaces for transgender and gender non-confirming BIPOC, Brave Space Alliance (BSA) closed on a 7,000-square-foot building on 71st Street and Jeffrey Avenue, in the South Shore community, to expand ...
|Artist Rick Sindt explores queer desire and pornography in 'Skin Remembers' 2022-05-25|
- Rick Sindt, a Chicago-based artist who recently moved to St. Louis, explores the discovery and development of queer attraction in his exhibit "Skin Remembers." Sindt transforms pornographic stills, repurposing them into images of intimacy. Sindt recently ...
|Indiana institutes anti-trans sports ban, overrides Holcomb's veto 2022-05-25|
- The Indiana General Assembly overturned Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb's veto of House Bill 1041, which prohibits transgender girls from playing girls school sports, according to the IndyStar. The House voted to override the veto 67-28; the ...
|Ricky Gervais courts controversy with graphic anti-trans jokes 2022-05-24|
- (WARNING: There is graphic language in this article.) Yet another Netflix special is courting controversy because of a comedian making anti-trans jokes. Ricky Gervais' Netflix comedy special SuperNature has drawn criticism for a string of grap ...
|WORLD Nigeria protest, 'Flag in the Map,' Belgium, McDonald's 2022-05-22|
- Dressed in rainbow-colored vests, members of the LGBTQ+ community marched in a dangerous demonstration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to protest a bill introduced by lawmakers in Nigeria's lower house of parliament last month seeking to ban ...
|Comedian criticized for letting Chappelle open and tell anti-trans jokes [UPDATE] 2022-05-22|
- Comedian John Mulaney surprised his audience—and drew criticism from some fans—when Dave Chappelle appeared as the opener and reportedly told "transphobic jokes," per Variety. Chappelle's opening set occurred during a ...
|For International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia HRC highlights grants 2022-05-17|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, is commemorating International Day Against ...
|Judge blocks part of Alabama law criminalizing care for trans youth 2022-05-14|
- On May 13, U.S. District Judge Liles Burke blocked part of an Alabama law that made it a felony to prescribe gender-affirming puberty blockers and hormones to transgender minors, USA Today reported. ...
|Texas court okays child-abuse inquries into families of trans kids 2022-05-13|
- On May 13, the Texas Supreme Court unanimously cleared the way for the state child-welfare agency to resume investigating parents and doctors who provide gender-affirming care for trans youthactions Gov. Greg Abbott has equated to child ...
|Judge: Dallas hospital must start gender-affirming treatment for trans youth 2022-05-12|
- In Texas, Dallas County Judge Melissa Bellan temporarily removed all barriers for transgender youth seeking medical treatments from Children's Medical Center Dallasproviding a major win for doctors fighting to restore ...
|HRC calls for passage of the Women's Health Protection Act 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, joined a growing number of organizations calling for the ...
|NATIONAL Rainbow flagpole, Washington Blade, Don Lemon, Black leaders 2022-05-08|
- Four years after the Trump Administration abruptly nixed plans to bring a rainbow flag to federal land adjacent to NYC's Christopher Park, the Biden Administration is planning to install a permanent flagpole at the park, Gay ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York honor Judith Light, Wilson Cruz and more 2022-05-07|
-- From a press release - New York - Friday, May 6 — GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on May 6. Additional categories were announced in Los Angeles on April ...
|Virginia trans teen killed at party 2022-05-06|
- The life of Black transgender girl Ariyanna Mitchell, 17, ended violently at a party in Hampton, Virginia, on April 2and the accused killer asked her if she was a boy or a girl before shooting her, ...
|NBJC celebrates and remembers trans journalist/activist Monica Roberts on her birthday 2022-05-04|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC Today, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) celebrates the life and accomplishments of Monica Roberts, a revered transgender journalist, activist, and founder of the award-winning publication TransGriot. ...