WINDY CITY TIMES
||Submissions sought for WCT supplement
This article shared 2158 times since Wed May 6, 2009
Poetry and prose items are being accepted for Windy City Times' sixth annual literary supplement, which will run in the Pride Issue, out June 24. This year's theme is "Stonewall 40: Looking Out."
Submissions should be no more than 300 words long. A prize of $25 will be awarded to the best prose item and poem. A person may submit up to three items; those not adhering to the requirements will be discarded.
E-mail submissions ( in Microsoft Word format ) to WCTPride@gmail.com . The deadline is Wed., June 10.
This article shared 2158 times since Wed May 6, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Poet Laureate avery r. young draws inspiration from West Side upbringing 2023-06-14|
By Michelle Zacarias - North Austin native and multi-dimensional poet avery r. young made history in April after being selected as Chicago's inaugural Poet Laureate. The announcement came as no surprise to those who follow young's career as an award-winning ...
|City of Chicago names inaugural Chicago Poet Laureate avery r. young 2023-04-24|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, in partnership with the Chicago Public Library (CPL), the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and the Poetry Foundation, proudly named avery r. young as the inaugural ...
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11|
- Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...
|POETRY E'mon Lauren Black talks queerness,
podcast, Black mobility 2021-03-11|
- Even though she's only in her early 20s, E'mon Lauren Black has accomplished so much. Not only was Black named Chicago's first youth poet laureate in 2016 (an honor from Young Chicago Authors, in partnership with ...
|Five Worth Finding: LGBTQ authors, paczki, skin-care items, Keto Mylk
- Tempest, by Ryan Meyer (NothingPeak.com): In Tempest, young LGBTQ writer Meyer departs from the horror themes in his 2018 poetry collection, Haunt. Using fictional vignettes and surreal personal accounts, he ...
|Chicago native named as state's fifth poet laureate 2020-11-25|
- Illinois First Lady MK Pritzker announced Angela Jackson as the next poet laureate for the state. Jackson, a Chicago native, is the fifth Illinoisan to hold the title, an honorary position selected by a committee of ...
Trans singer Kyler O'Neal debuts music video, talks poetry 2020-09-01|
- Kyler O'Neal is a transgender contemporary, folk artist. She officially released her debut music video for her single Satan's Tears on Sept. 1, and that is currently available for streaming on YouTube and Vimeo. Windy City ...
|'One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives' Aug. 18 2020-08-13|
- On Tuesday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., the Poetry Coalitiona network of 25+ literary organizations that includes Lambda Literary and Young Chicago Authorswill present "One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives." In this ...
|BOOKS Yvonne Zipter: Looking at Chicagoan's life, poetry collection 2020-08-05|
- Writer Yvonne Zipter nurtures nature and other ideas in her new book of poetry Kissing the Long Face of the Greyhound. Zipter grew up in Milwaukee and lived there until she was 24. She earned a ...
|The Queer Landscape, Chicago Danztheatre presents performance on LGBTQ+ identity 2020-01-14|
- CHICAGO (January 6th, 2020) - Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble is pleased to announce the third installment of its 2019-20 Art & Activism Performance Series, THE QUEER LANDSCAPE, an evening of live performance, art, and poetry centered around ...
|Trans Day of Resilience Art, Poetry Uplift Black Trans Power and Liberation
- November 20, 2019 Ten trans and non-binary visual artists and poets of color from across the country, including Chicagoan Benji Hart, have collaborated to honor Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) by creating original artwork to ...
|South Side Open Mic, Writing Workshop Series planned for survivors of sexual harm 2019-09-04|
- Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation is producing two south side programs for survivors of sexual harm. The monthly writing workshop and the monthly open mic are intended to give survivors a brave space to work on ...
|BOOK REVIEW On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous 2019-07-23|
- Book by Ocean Vuong. $26; Penguin Press; 256 pages One quote on author Ocean Vuong's website refers to him as "the Walt Whitman of Vietnamese-American literature." Vuong's poetry collection, Night Sky with Exit Wounds, was a ...
|Poetry block party July 27 in Pilsen 2019-07-22|
- The Chicago Poetry Block Party (CPBP)a free, all-ages celebration of poetry, music and creativityreturns to the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th St. on Saturday, July 27, 3-8 p.m. Presented by the Poetry Foundation ...
|POETRY e nina jay aims to help women shed shame 2019-06-26|
- e nina jay wants women to stop feeling shame. "I think about how much we, as girls and women, waste being ashamed," the Black lesbian poet said via phone. "How many conversations don't happen and how ...