||Study: Asian-American GLBTs Suffer Much Harassment
This article shared 3665 times since Tue Mar 1, 2005
A study released by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute showed that 82 percent of Asian-American GLBT people surveyed has experienced sexual orientation discrimination—and the same share experienced race- and ethnicity-related bias.
The study, entitled 'Asian Pacific American Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender People: A Community Portrait,' involved 124 participants picked from a pool of attendees at the March 2004 Queer Asian Pacific Legacy regional conference at New York University.
The study produced stunning results. Among them was that nearly 95 percent of the respondents said that they experienced bias and/or harassment in their lives, with 82 percent of them saying it was based on race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. In addition, 96 percent thought that homophobia or transphobia is a problem with the Asian Pacific American ( APA ) community. Moreover, 80 percent agreed that APA LGBT people experience racism within the predominantly white LGBT community.
Nearly a dozen ethnicities were represented in the sample, including Chinese ( 33 percent ) , Filipino ( 17 percent ) , and Indian ( 11 percent ) .
This article shared 3665 times since Tue Mar 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL DC attack, NC law, conversion therapy, trans woman shot 2021-08-15|
- A gay Asian man and his parents were beaten in Washington D.C. near Vice President Kamala Harris' home by a man shouting slurs, LGBTQ Nation reported. Patrick Joseph Miller Trebat was arrested at the scene on ...
|Aug. 12 dance film to explore gender, queerness in South Asian arts 2021-08-03|
- Ashwaty Chennat, a Chicago Dancemakers 2021 Digital Dance grantee, has continued her collaboration with Abhijeet Rane to explore gender, queerness and the body in South Asian arts and traditions. An excerpt of Chennai and Rane's ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation, Asian American history to be taught in public schools 2021-07-09|
--From a press release - SKOKIE - On July 9, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed HB 376, the Teaching Equitable Asian American History Act, into law, making Illinois the first state in the nation to require a unit of Asian American ...
|Out lesbian Chantale Wong nominated to ambassador-level post 2021-07-02|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today President Joe Biden nominated Chantale Wong to be the United States Director to the Asian Development Bank, a post with the rank of ambassador. Wong is the first out lesbian and first ...
|DANCE Joffrey Academy seeking submissions from minority applicants for competition 2021-06-01|
- The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, has announced a national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) artists to submit applications for The Joffrey Academy's Twelfth Annual Winning ...
|Family Acceptance Project has new Asian-language posters for families with LGBTQ kids 2021-05-19|
--From a press release - San Francisco, CA, May 19, 2021 …… In conjunction with Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month in May, the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University is releasing a series of 8 new ...
|OP-ED: An AAPI hate crime we dare not say 2021-03-30|
- On March 16, Robert Aaron Long killed eight people, six of whom were women of Asian descent. Long's action has not yet been classified as a hate crime because the motive, he stated, was his sex ...
|Anti-Asian violence takes eight lives in Atlanta, NCLR responds 2021-03-19|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — On Tuesday night, a shooter took the lives of eight individuals — including six Asian women — during a spate of violence at massage parlors in the Atlanta area. The shooter also ...
|SAAPRI vehemently condemns murders of Asian American women in Atlanta 2021-03-18|
--From a South Asian American Policy & Research Institute press release - Stop AAPI Hate: Together, we must work to stand in solidarity and stop AAPI hate and all hate crimes against people of color. On Tuesday, March 16th, six Asian American women were killed in a series ...
|WORLD: Bhutan's pro-gay move, LGBTQ+ refugees, official comes out 2020-12-14|
- A joint sitting of both houses of Bhutan's parliament approved a bill to legalize gay sex, making the tiny Himalayan kingdom the latest Asian nation to take steps toward easing restrictions on same-sex relationships, Reuters reported. ...
|NATIONAL Political news, gay adoptive father, judges, Houston bar 2020-11-16|
- Adrian Tam, a 28-year-old gay Asian American son of immigrants, defeated a leader of the Hawaii chapter of the Proud Boys, a far-right extremist group, to become the only openly LGBTQ person in Hawaii's legislature, NBC ...
|MOVIES Henry Golding gets intimate in 'Monsoon' 2020-11-11|
- Taking a turn from larger-budget movies such as A Simple Favor and Crazy Rich Asians, actor Henry Golding stars in the intimate film Monsoon. The movie features Golding as Kit, a young British-Vietnamese man who returns ...
|Morrison, Asian group launch census PSAs 2020-04-29|
- Cook County Commissioner Kevin B. Morrison and the American Association of Retired Asians (AARA) launched "Everyone Deserves to be Counted," a series of video PSAs in six different languagesUrdu, Gujarati ...
|NQAPIA denounces racist attacks stemming from COVID-19 fears 2020-03-17|
- The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) issued a statement denouncing "racist attacks, discrimination, and blatant xenophobia that has occurred in light of COVID-19 CoronaVirus." NQAPIA said, "While the ...