Pride: lesbian, dyke, butch, femme, lipstick lesbo, diesel dyke, baby dyke, women, womyn, womon, girls, girlz. However you choose to identify, I am proud to stand amongst you. I love women. I love who I am. I take pride in everything that makes me a lesbian. There are some personal things I am particularly proud of this year. So Strap This On for Pride 2003:
The Top Ten Things that
Make Me Proud to be a Lesbian
10) My partner and I are both out to our families. Things aren't perfect but now they all know that the room with the computer and the single bed is our guest room.
9) I'm out at my day job in corporate America. Mind you, I generally work from home. But they all ask about Robin when I go to the office for meetings.
8) In the state of Illinois, Robin and I have the right for second-parent adoption when we have children. I can't wait for the PTA meetings. This is little Johnny's mom and other mom. I think I may have to write a new verse to 'Harper Valley PTA.'
7) Robin is out as teacher. She teaches theatre to children and adults of all ages.
6) There are more choices in professional sports for women especially the IWFL, the Independent Women's Football League. Go Chicago Force Women's Football (http://www.chicagoforcefootball.com).
5) My favorite redheaded vixen and actress I've never met, Nicole Kidman, won an Academy Award for her portrayal of lesbian literary heroine, Virginia Woolf.
4) All of the lovely lesbians we met working at Walt Disney World. They were very knowledgeable about the goings on and gave us extra time and history during our trip to Animal Kingdom. We are everywhere.
3) Canada, namely Ontario, for the legalization of same-sex marriage. I know where we're going on our next vacation. Maple syrup, Niagara Falls, and dykes getting hitched by the truckloads. Go Canada!
2) Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is going to be here during Pride Weekend to sign her book, Living History, at Women and Children First Books on Saturday, June 28, 10:30 a.m.-noon; (773) 769-9299. That should be the title of her 2008 Campaign for President: Women and Children First!
1) Ten, count 'em, ten glorious years with Robin, the single greatest accomplishment of my life.
Lisa Rock is a syndicated columnist based in Chicago. She will be performing in a new musical farce, Illuzzio at the Chopin Theatre from July 11-Sept. 14. Call (773) 278-1500 for show times and tickets.