I truly believe in the relationships women share with other women. Now, I'm not just talking about lesbians with lesbians, dykes with dykes or lesbians with dykes. I'm talking about all women. Some of my closest friends are heterosexual women. I enjoy their company and feel we have plenty to offer one another as women. As a lesbian, I feel I really benefit from their friendship in so many ways. There are two places I especially enjoy spending time with them: locker rooms and dressing rooms (as an actress). I'm not just saying I love the angled mirrors where you can be sure to see someone in a state of undress anywhere you stand. I love everything about them. (You were a little worried I was turning mushy, huh?) So Strap this on for July and enjoy the view:
The Top Ten Characteristics I Treasure In Women In the Locker Room and/or
10) Camaraderie. Comparing bra sizes. Look at how this one supports me. OK.
9) Support. Can you help me zip this up? There's something so beautiful about helping someone else get into their clothes.
8) Sisterhood. In the women's dressing room at the show I'm currently in, the ladies (Gina and Natalie) put their make-up on in their underwear, bras, and panty hose. Do I need to say more?
7) Honesty. Does my butt look big in this? Let me get a better look.
6) Appreciation. That bra really helps shape your breasts. Is that silk? I love bras. I had to mention them twice. There are so many reasons to appreciate them.
5) Admiration. Those are great underwear. Where did you get those? You can stare all you want because you're admiring her choice in undergarments.
4) Comfortableness. The steam room. Where else can you sit together with a small towel or bathing suit (or in the buff) and get all sweaty together without actually touching someone?
3) Friendship. Hey, my neck and back are a little sore. I could use a back rub. This is very successful in the theatre dressing room. It's not such a good idea in the locker room.
2) Sharing. Everyone getting completely naked in the showers. We're not ashamed of our bodies no matter the size or the shape. Careful, you dropped your towel. Can I help you with that?
1) Faithfulness. When you're about to go on stage, oftentimes, you need another actress to check things for you. Such as, are my boobs even? No, they're a little off. Let me help you adjust them real quickly.
Lisa Rock is a syndicated columnist based in Chicago. She will be performing in a new musical farce, Illuzzio at the Chopin Theatre from July 11-September 14. Call (773) 913-5737 for show times and tickets.