In honor of Nicole Kidman's Academy Award nomination two years in a row, and my love of redheads, Robin, of course, being the ultimate, I am dedicating this week's column to her. Her turn as Virginia Woolf in The Hours was so moving and intense. Besides the all-too-mentioned prosthetic nose, everything was right on: her walk, how she held her hands, her facial expressions and even her voice. The nose was merely make-up. Robert DeNiro got praise from here to eternity for Raging Bull for putting on weight. He had an even bigger prosthetic nose. Let's give it up for the Nicole's role of a lifetime and her acting. She played a literary heroine to this member of the lesbian community impeccably. So in honor of Nicole, Strap This On:
The Top 10 (OK 11, I couldn't decide)
Nicole Kidman Films According to Me
11) Dead Calm. Long, dark curly red hair with a nude scene as well as a bathing suit shot.
10) Flirting. This 1990 supporting role had Nicole with shoulder length blondish hair with bangs and a nice school girl uniform. There's also a shot of her in her bra and underwear.
9) The Peacemaker. Short, dark red hair, low-cut blouses and scenes with Nicole running.
8) To Die For. She actually had two different hair styles: the short bobbed, strawberry blond hair where she had a Sharon Stone moment in the classroom uncrossing her legs and the long hair in the scene with Matt Dillon with her leopard print negligee on.
7) Malice. Long, curly strawberry blond hair in a vicious role with a real tomcat sex scene.
6) Batman Forever. The true Hollywood bombshell role with her styled, long, strawberry blond hair and moist red lips. She also wore some sexy low-cut dresses also showing lots of leg.
5) Portrait of a Lady. Proper period piece with proper clothing and hair; John Malkovich's sleaziness brings out a haunting vulnerability in Nicole and makes me want to rip that petticoat right off.
4) The Birthday Girl. She had long, straight dark brown hair and grunge style clothing showing lots of her bellybutton. Her character also had an appetite for bondage.
3) Far and Away. Long curly light red hair. This spirited role is where I was first introduced to this luscious red head. I especially loved the Burly-Q number.
2) Days of Thunder. Our American film introduction to Nicole with that long flowing curly red hair, and she's a doctor. I need a complete physical.
1) Moulin Rouge. The ultimate Nicole: long, wavy red hair, singing, dancing, gorgeous costumes and a moaning scene that rivals Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally.
Me: StrapThisOn@aol.com .