WINDY CITY TIMES
||Steele Died of Accidental Drug Intoxication
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 12392 times since Wed Feb 27, 2008
Las Vegas transgender legend Jahna Steele died of accidental drug intoxication on Jan. 22, the Clark County, Nev., Coroner's Office told Windy City Times.
Coroner spokeswoman Samantha Charles said that Steele's manner of death was 'accidental,' and that the cause of death was 'mixed drug intoxication of cocaine, morphine and hydromorphone.' Hydromorphone is a derivative of morphine.
Steele, 49, was born John Matheny in San Antonio, Texas, and lived in Nevada for a quarter-century. Matheny grew up in San Antonio before undergoing sexual-reassignment surgery in his early 20s. Steele was an accomplished actress and headline entertainer in Las Vegas. She was a member of the 'Crazy Girls' topless revue at the Riviera before being outed in 1992 by the TV show A Current Affair.
Steele's last job on the Las Vegas strip was reported to be as a warm-up announcer for 'La Cage,' the female impersonator show at the Riviera. Steele was also featured in the 2006 movie Transtasia, a documentary about the 'World's First Most Beautiful Transsexual Pageant.' Transtasia has since aired on Showtime.
This article shared 12392 times since Wed Feb 27, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Trailblazing lesbian activist Pat Norman dies 2022-08-09|
- Pat Norman, a trailblazing lesbian in San Francisco who became a "first" in some important city appointments, died Aug. 5 at an assisted living facility in Las Vegas, according to The Bay Area Reporter. Norman, born ...
|PASSAGES Singer/actress Olivia Newton-John dead at 73 2022-08-08|
- Olivia Newton-John—the Australian singer who charmed generations of viewers in the 1978 blockbuster movie Grease and had such music hits as "Physical," with both garnering many LGBTQ+ fans—died Aug. 8 at age 73, according to media ...
|Journalist Chuck Colbert passes away at 67 2022-08-08|
- Journalist Charles "Chuck" R. Colbert—who had written for several LGBTQ+ publications, including Windy City Times—passed away June 30. He was 67. He was a freelance journalist based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, according to his biography on ...
|PASSAGES Lesbian writer/activist Elana Dykewomon dies at 72 2022-08-08|
- Tributes have poured in following the death of Oakland-based esteemed lesbian writer/activist Elana Dykewomon, who passed away Aug. 7 at age 72, according to EuroWeekly. She received the Lambda Literary Award for Lesbian Fiction in 1998 ...
|PASSAGES Chicago Latino Theater Alliance Executive Director Myrna Salazar dies at 75 2022-08-04|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced that co-founder and Executive Director Myrna Salazar passed away Aug. 3two weeks after celebrating her 75th birthday. According to a press release, "Salazar ...
|PASSAGES Janan Lindley, wife of longtime activist/former bar owner Marge Summit 2022-08-01|
- Janan Lindley died in hospice at home with her wife, Marge Summit, by her side July 29 of cancer. She was 82. Lindley was born June 20, 1940 and was raised in New Orleans. She studied at Loop College and from ...
|Reports: Chicago trans woman murdered in West Englewood neighborhood 2022-07-13|
- A Chicago trans woman was attacked and died the late evening of July 11/early morning of July 12, according to reports. An individual was found with multiple stab wounds after Chicago Police Department (CPD) answered a ...
|Former Japanese prime minister dies after being shot 2022-07-08|
- Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe died on July 8 after being shot while giving a campaign speech on a street in central Japan, CNN reported, citing public broadcaster NHK. Japanese publication Nikkei also reported that ...
|PASSAGES Local trans leader Maritxa Vidal 2022-07-06|
- Maritxa Vidal, a leader in the Chicago trans community, has died at age 64. She passed away June 9. As a child, Vidal immigrated from Cuba with her family hoping to find a better life. Vidal is a longtime advocate for ...
|Dan Wolf, owner of The Bagel, dies at 77 2022-07-04|
- Dan Wolf, the longtime owner of the iconic The Bagel Restaurant & Deli, has died at age 77. According to an obituary at legacy.com, Wolf was of the few child survivors of the infamous Theresienstadt concentration ...
|Clela Rorex, first County Clerk to issue same-sex marriage licences, has died 2022-06-20|
-- From a press release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County and the family of Clela Rorex are saddened to announce the death of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pioneering ally, Clela Rorex. On March 27,1975 Clela issued the first ...
|PASSAGES Onetime Gay Chicago publisher Craig Gernhardt 2022-06-15|
- Craig Gernhardtwho once was the publisher of the now-defunct Gay Chicagohas died at age 61, according to Tribute Archive. His father, Gay Chicago Magazine co-founder and Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame inductee Ralph Paul Gernhardt, passed ...
|PASSAGES Legendary Chicago transgender activist, icon, mentor Mama Gloria Allen 2022-06-14|
- Legendary Chicago Black transgender activist, icon and mentor "Mama" Gloria Allen died June 13 in her residence at Chicago's LGBTQ senior living facility Townhall Apartments in Lake View. The cause of death is unknown at this ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|PASSAGES Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan dies at 76 2022-06-13|
- Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan has passed away "peacefully at home" after several lengthy illnesses at age 76, The Chicago Tribune reported. Ryan was the state's attorney general from 1995 to 2003, and was the ...