WINDY CITY TIMES
||State rep joins Chicago mayoral race
This article shared 1260 times since Fri May 13, 2022
On May 12, Illinois state Rep. Kam Buckner announced his candidacy for Chicago mayor, stating, "We cannot wait a day longer for a safe and just Chicago for all of us," The Chicago Tribune reported.
Buckner pledged a more collaborative Chicago with "a mayor who brings people together"an apparent criticism of current Mayor Lori Lightfoot.
Buckner, 37, said Chicagoans "aren't afraid of a strong mayor," or one who, like the unnamed Lightfoot, uses "cuss words."
Lightfoot campaign spokeswoman Christina Freundlich responded to news of Buckner's announcement by trying to link him to disgraced former state House Speaker Michael Madigan.
Buckner joins Ald. Raymond Lopez, businessman Willie Wilson and media owner DJ Doran as challengers who've officially announced they are running for mayor. Lopez and Doran are openly gay.
This article shared 1260 times since Fri May 13, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|Major national LGBTQ+ groups condemn Oklahoma House censure motion against Rep. Mauree Turner 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Last week, Oklahoma Representative Mauree Turner was the target of a censure motion by Republican leaders — a blatant attempt to silence the first openly non-binary U.S. state legislator. The motion passed on a party line ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 48th Ward candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth speaks about her run-off race 2023-03-15|
- Note: The following interview is part of Windy City Times' ongoing coverage of LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 Chicago municipal elections. The run-off election takes place Tuesday, April 4. Following the Feb. 28 primary electionwhere 10 ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson endorses 48th Ward alderperson candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, community organizer and progressive advocate, earned the endorsement of Chicago Mayoral Candidate Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson. Since the February 28th runoff election, Manaa-Hoppenworth has ...
|Personal PAC to endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Personal PAC, one of Illinois' leading organizations dedicated to protecting reproductive rights, announces today an endorsement for Brandon Johnson for mayor: From the organization: "Personal PAC is proud to stand with Brandon Johnson ...
|Mayoral candidate Johnson appears at monthly LGBTQ+ event 2023-03-13|
- On the evening of March 11, mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson made a surprise appearance in front of a packed room at the monthly LGBTQ+ event Slo Mo Jam, which was held at Sleeping Village, 3734 W. ...
|NATIONAL Folx Health, gay mayor arrested, powerlifter's suit, Versace visit 2023-03-10|
- Boston-based Folx Healthwhich provides primary healthcare services and gender-affirming healthcare to LGBTQIA peoplemade Fast Company's list of the world's 50 most innovative businesses. A few of the other healthcare companies ...
|Black & Brown LGBTQ+ Mayoral Forum Wednesday, March 22 [UPDATED] 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - The Chicago Mayoral Forum, hosted by leading Black and Brown LGBTQ+ organizations, will provide candidates with an opportunity to discuss with LGBTQ+ communities how they will ensure equity and improve the lives of Black and Brown LGBTQ+ Chicagoans. ...
|LPAC expands board of directors, building on successful 2023 midterms 2023-03-08|
--From a press release - Washington, DC LPAC, the national political organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ women and nonbinary people to public office, announced today that Liz Culley and Janelle Perez have joined its Board of Directors. LPAC is the ...
|Non-binary Okla. state rep censured after incident; LGBTQ+ groups respond 2023-03-08|
- On March 7, the Oklahoma House voted to censure (or publicly express strong disapproval of) Democratic non-binary state Rep. Mauree Turner for allegedly harboring a fugitive following a recent confrontation ...
|VIEWPOINT The scrutiny of Kamala Harris 2023-03-07|
- President Biden had a cancerous lesion successfully removed from his chest last month, which was just now reported. At 80, questions continue about Biden's fitness to serve a second term. But questions also abound concerning Vice ...