WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 2308 times since Wed Jul 11, 2007
An exciting and unusual work of musical theater, the Tony Award-winning The Light in the Piazza returns to the city where it began at the Goodman Theatre. With a brilliant score by Adam Guettel—at turns operatic, lyrical or infectious, and with dazzling ensemble numbers—The Light in the Piazza is the bittersweet tale of American mother and daughter tourists, and a love affair, in 1950s Florence, Italy. It's based on the novel and film of the same name. Alas, there's one drawback: The Light in the Piazza was beautifully intimate at the 850-seat Goodman but will be swallowed in the too-large 4,200-seat Auditorium Theatre. You might do better just buying the CD. Through July 22 only; 312-902-1400; $18-$70.
This article shared 2308 times since Wed Jul 11, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|The Jeff Awards announces 2023 Non-Equity theater award nominations 2023-02-05|
--From a press release - ChicagoThe Joseph Jefferson Awards announces its nominations for theater excellence among Non-Equity theater. The Non-Equity awards presented in 2023 spotlight 167 theater artists across 28 categories of excellence in theater ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|HRC Chicago to bestow annual Community Visibility Award, spotlight local partners 2022-11-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL, November 3, 2022 — E. Patrick Johnson, Dean of the School of Communication and Annenberg University Professor of Performance Studies and African American Studies at Northwestern University is to be recognized for distinguished service ...
|GLAAD releases third annual 20 Under 20 list 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - New York, NYGLAAD revealed its third annual 20 Under 20 list, spotlighting 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. GLAAD's ...
|World Music Festival Chicago Sept. 30-Oct. 9 2022-09-29|
- World Music Festival Chicago will return Friday, Sept. 30-Sunday, Oct. 9 in venues across the city. The festival returns with 34 bands (including three DJs) representing 22 countries and spotlighting 10 local music groups. Now in ...
|The Jeff Awards marks 54th anniversary with Equity Wing Award nominations 2022-08-23|
-- From a press release - August 23, 2022 — Chicago — Recognizing a strong return to the spotlight over the 2021-2022 Equity theater season, the Joseph Jefferson Awards announces its nominations for theater excellence. This year's nominees include 201 theater art ...
|NIH LGBTQ+ webinar to be presented June 9 2022-05-23|
- On Thursday, June 9, 1-2:30 p.m. CT, the NIH Sexual & Gender Minority Research Office will host a special Pride edition of the Scientific Webinar Series to spotlight the recently released National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, ...
|VIEWS The closing of civil society: Russia and the U.S., or fear the queer! 2022-04-23|
- Putin's invasion of Ukraine has made manifest the fragility of civil society in Russia and the strength of civil society in Ukraine. It has also once again focused an intense spotlight on our own civil society. ...
|Out British singer Calum Scott takes a page from The Script 2022-04-02|
- Calum Scott came into the public spotlight during the ninth season of Britain's Got Talent, where he performed a cover of Robyn's classic "Dancing on My Own." The reality show was a rollercoaster of a ride ...
|ART Virgil Catherine Gallery presenting 'C/Overt Observations' in Hinsdale 2022-03-15|
- Virgil Catherine Galleryat 45 S. Washington St., in Hinsdalewill host an artist reception for its latest exhibition, "C/Overt Observations," on Saturday, March 19, 5-8 p.m., spotlighting renowned art, fashion and ...
|New journal will spotlight queer and trans religious studies scholarship 2022-01-31|
-- From a press release - UC Riverside will be the host of an unprecedented conference to launch the first academic journal devoted to queer and transgender scholarship in religious studies. The journal, "QTR: A Journal of Queer and Transgender Studies in ...
|Photography giant Annie Leibovitz talks 'Wonderland' at Chicago Humanities Festival 2021-12-13|
- In its classic style of spotlighting creative humans, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) hosted "Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Annie Leibovitz: Wonderland" on Dec. 7 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance. ...
|GLAAD launches video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners 2021-10-04|
- GLAAD has launched "Changemakers," a four-part video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners and their impact within their local communities before and throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The series, presented by ...
|New Supreme Court session: Religion dominates 2021-10-04|
- First in the spotlight as the U.S. Supreme Court begins its new session Monday (October 4) is the seemingly precarious state of the right to abortion, an issue LGBT groups have long considered to be of ...
|Joffrey Ballet's "Home: a Celebration" opens inaugural season at Lyric Opera House 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - August 18, 2021 (Chicago) The Joffrey Ballet opens its inaugural season at the Lyric Opera House and marks its return to live performances with Home: a Celebration, a triumphant mixed repertory program that spotlights original ...