WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 2542 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
Noel Coward saved his best stuff for himself and a few friends. Private Lives, written for himself and Gertrude Lawrence, is among his very best, a stylish comedy of manners about Elyot and Amanda, once married and now wed to others but still in love with each other. The current production is part of the second indoor season of First Folio Shakespeare Festival, usually found al fresco in the summer months at Mayslake Forest Preserve, Oak Brook. For Private Lives, First Folio occupies the formal library of the Peabody Mansion, a perfect setting for Coward and his sophisticated but silly lovers. Through March 19; 1717 W. 31st Street, Oak Brook; ( 630 ) 986-8067; $25.
This article shared 2542 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Rustin film puts a gay pioneer into the spotlight 2023-11-16|
- The story of activist Bayard Rustin is one that should be told in classrooms everywhere. Instead, because Rustin was an openly same-gender-loving man, his legacy has gone relatively unnoticed outside of LGBTQ+-focused history books. Netflix hopes ...
|Eye-opening LGBTQ+ women's survey shatters myths and spotlights challenges 2023-11-15|
- The realities, ambitions and hardships of queer women aren't often given deep analysis by researchers. Mainstream socio-political conversations, research data and legislative choices frequently center individuals whose lives are marked ...
|Mexican Museum presents Queer Fiesta 2023-09-27|
- In celebration of National Latino Month and Mexican Independence Day, the National Museum of Mexican Art presented Noche De Musas II and Queer Fiestas Patrias on Sept. 23. The event, which spotlighted female, queer and non-binary ...
|SAVOR Upcoming events, including a wine dinner and a paella fest 2023-09-10|
- The upscale Mexican restaurant Tzuco, 720 N. State St., will mark its fourth anniversary and celebrate Mexican Independence Day on Friday, Sept. 15. The event, "4 Anos, 4 Manos," will spotlight dishes by Tzuco Chef Carlos ...
|SAVOR The Lunchroom, Signature Room, Martha Stewart and more 2023-08-07|
- This week's SAVOR spotlight shines on The Lunchroom at SPACE 519. The Lunchroom is a bustling 40-seat restaurant/cafe within SPACE 519, a concept store in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood at 200 E. Chestnut St., adjacent to Water ...
|SAVOR Provo's Bakery, exclusive dinners and more 2023-08-01|
- This week's SAVOR with Andrew spotlight shines on Provo's Bakery. I discovered this bakery at the Division Street farmer's market (on Division Street between State and Clark streets every Saturday at 7 a.m.-noon). Master baker/founder ...
|VIEWPOINT U.S. higher education under siege; freedom of inquiry and speech at risk 2023-07-03|
- The Covid pandemic threw a harsh spotlight on higher education in America, exposing forces eating away at the foundations of college and university learning, calling into question the traditional purposes of such education in our post-modern, ...
|SAVOR Movie cookbook, 'A Night of Hope,' restaurant closings and more 2023-06-26|
- This week, SAVOR with Andrew's spotlight is actually on a book—Scrounging: A Cookbook. This unique cookbook contains late-night, last-ditch recipes and ingenious back-of-the-pantry meals straight from movies. Scrounging includes an ...
|DJ Psycho-Bitch talks Frankie Knuckles, career and house music 2023-06-21|
- The Chicago House Music Festival and Conference will take place June 23-24, with the first day spotlighting the conference at the Chicago Cultural Center and the following day being all about enjoying tunes at the Humboldt ...
|The Jeff Awards announces 2023 Non-Equity theater award nominations 2023-02-05|
--From a press release - ChicagoThe Joseph Jefferson Awards announces its nominations for theater excellence among Non-Equity theater. The Non-Equity awards presented in 2023 spotlight 167 theater artists across 28 categories of excellence in theater ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|HRC Chicago to bestow annual Community Visibility Award, spotlight local partners 2022-11-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL, November 3, 2022 — E. Patrick Johnson, Dean of the School of Communication and Annenberg University Professor of Performance Studies and African American Studies at Northwestern University is to be recognized for distinguished service ...
|GLAAD releases third annual 20 Under 20 list 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - New York, NYGLAAD revealed its third annual 20 Under 20 list, spotlighting 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. GLAAD's ...
|World Music Festival Chicago Sept. 30-Oct. 9 2022-09-29|
- World Music Festival Chicago will return Friday, Sept. 30-Sunday, Oct. 9 in venues across the city. The festival returns with 34 bands (including three DJs) representing 22 countries and spotlighting 10 local music groups. Now in ...
|The Jeff Awards marks 54th anniversary with Equity Wing Award nominations 2022-08-23|
-- From a press release - August 23, 2022 — Chicago — Recognizing a strong return to the spotlight over the 2021-2022 Equity theater season, the Joseph Jefferson Awards announces its nominations for theater excellence. This year's nominees include 201 theater art ...