||Spotlight: Freddie B
This article shared 2438 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
Freddie B.'s love of fashion and art began at an early age. Born and raised on the north side of Chicago, Freddie's first creative expression outlet was ballet. After graduating high school he began freelance work as a window dresser at many of the most exclusive boutiques on Oak St. and Michigan Ave. He soon became a visual merchandiser for the famed Marshall Field's flagship store on State St. Freddie started designing hats and accessories in 1989. One of his earlier creations can be seen in Madonna's tour documentary "Truth or Dare".
Freddie honed his skills as a DJ in clubs such as Foxy's Crobar, Spin, and Red Dog's legendary Monday night "Boom Boom Room." Freddie was also an integral part of Babble (Gab) Magazine, the wickedly funny, underground zine for gay boys and girls. Although Freddie's still a part of the DJing scene, he has returned to his first love of fashion design. Freddie's hats and accessories can now be found locally at Una Mae‚s Freak Boutique, Softcore and The Pleasure Chest, with plans for product placement in stores in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Los Angeles right around the corner.
This article shared 2438 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Photography giant Annie Leibovitz talks 'Wonderland' at Chicago Humanities Festival 2021-12-13|
- In its classic style of spotlighting creative humans, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) hosted "Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Annie Leibovitz: Wonderland" on Dec. 7 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance. ...
|GLAAD launches video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners 2021-10-04|
- GLAAD has launched "Changemakers," a four-part video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners and their impact within their local communities before and throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The series, presented by ...
|New Supreme Court session: Religion dominates 2021-10-04|
- First in the spotlight as the U.S. Supreme Court begins its new session Monday (October 4) is the seemingly precarious state of the right to abortion, an issue LGBT groups have long considered to be of ...
|Joffrey Ballet's "Home: a Celebration" opens inaugural season at Lyric Opera House 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - August 18, 2021 (Chicago) The Joffrey Ballet opens its inaugural season at the Lyric Opera House and marks its return to live performances with Home: a Celebration, a triumphant mixed repertory program that spotlights original ...
|National Women's Music Festival to stream June 30-July 4 2021-06-13|
- The beauty, power and wisdom of women will be celebrated at the 45th Annual National Women's Music Festival, which will be streamed on Mandolin.com on June 30-July 4. There will be a SheRocks Stage, Spotlight Stage, ...
|New report examines bans on medical care for trans youth 2021-04-29|
- The Movement Advancement Project (MAP) released a new policy spotlight report, "Efforts to Ban Health Care for Transgender Youth." In 2021 alone, legislatures in 22 states have introduced bills to ban best practice medical care for ...
|Webinar to spotlight secret gay life of culinary giant James Beard May 5 2021-03-12|
--From a press release - James Beard, who changed how Americans eat, is spotlighted on May 5 with an entertaining live webinar by Food Network star Ted Allen, and author John Birdsall. In the Kitchen Closet takes place May 5 at ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Indoor Voices series spotlights Duke It Out Nutcracker Dec. 18 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - The Music Institute of Chicago's "Indoor Voices," a free series of virtual visits with arts luminaries featuring conversation and occasional performances, returns with a new episode spotlighting the Music Institute's ...
|PASSAGES Ravinia producer Stephen R. Smoot, 57 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - Stephen R. Smoot, who produced hundreds of concerts for Ravinia Festival since 2005, died suddenly on Friday, Nov. 27. He was 57. Known for his quick wit and generous impulse to shine the spotlight on others, ...
|MUSIC (Colton) Ford tough: Singer is back and 'Stronger' than ever 2020-11-28|
- Colton Ford has been an actor (in mainstream, off-Broadway and adult features) as well as singer, but he had see out of the spotlight for a few years—until now. Ford (who's openly gay) is back with ...
|SAVOR The Outpost Mexican Eatery; Mercadito 2020-09-29|
DISH Dining Guide - For the last print issue of Windy City Times, there are two restaurants in the spotlightand they both happen to be Mexican eateries. The Outpost Mexican Eatery The Outpost Mexican Eatery (520 W. Harrison St.; TheOutpostMexicanEatery.com) ...
|'The Best of Cher' on DVD Sept. 15
- Time Life will release The Best of Cher on DVD on Tuesday, Sept. 15. The SRP is $99.95. The Best of Cher brings together Cher's life in the spotlight across two loaded volumes and nine DVDs, as well as a collectible ...
|Annual event spotlights trans lives lost 2020-08-30|
- On Aug. 30, Valerie Griffin celebrated the life of her daughter—Dejanay Stanton, a trans woman of color—with an annual summer get-together billed as "The Main Event Part 2." The event, in its second year, was also ...
|Day 3 of RNC: Gay official mum on LGBTQ+ issues 2020-08-27|
- There was no mention of LGBTQ+ people during night three of the 2020 Republican National Convention (RNC) on Aug. 26, not even by implication. Although an openly gay speaker was given time in the spotlight, he ...