||Spotlight: Freddie B
This article shared 2535 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
Freddie B.'s love of fashion and art began at an early age. Born and raised on the north side of Chicago, Freddie's first creative expression outlet was ballet. After graduating high school he began freelance work as a window dresser at many of the most exclusive boutiques on Oak St. and Michigan Ave. He soon became a visual merchandiser for the famed Marshall Field's flagship store on State St. Freddie started designing hats and accessories in 1989. One of his earlier creations can be seen in Madonna's tour documentary "Truth or Dare".
Freddie honed his skills as a DJ in clubs such as Foxy's Crobar, Spin, and Red Dog's legendary Monday night "Boom Boom Room." Freddie was also an integral part of Babble (Gab) Magazine, the wickedly funny, underground zine for gay boys and girls. Although Freddie's still a part of the DJing scene, he has returned to his first love of fashion design. Freddie's hats and accessories can now be found locally at Una Mae‚s Freak Boutique, Softcore and The Pleasure Chest, with plans for product placement in stores in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Los Angeles right around the corner.
This article shared 2535 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|HRC Chicago to bestow annual Community Visibility Award, spotlight local partners 2022-11-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL, November 3, 2022 — E. Patrick Johnson, Dean of the School of Communication and Annenberg University Professor of Performance Studies and African American Studies at Northwestern University is to be recognized for distinguished service ...
|GLAAD releases third annual 20 Under 20 list 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - New York, NYGLAAD revealed its third annual 20 Under 20 list, spotlighting 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. GLAAD's ...
|World Music Festival Chicago Sept. 30-Oct. 9 2022-09-29|
- World Music Festival Chicago will return Friday, Sept. 30-Sunday, Oct. 9 in venues across the city. The festival returns with 34 bands (including three DJs) representing 22 countries and spotlighting 10 local music groups. Now in ...
|The Jeff Awards marks 54th anniversary with Equity Wing Award nominations 2022-08-23|
-- From a press release - August 23, 2022 — Chicago — Recognizing a strong return to the spotlight over the 2021-2022 Equity theater season, the Joseph Jefferson Awards announces its nominations for theater excellence. This year's nominees include 201 theater art ...
|NIH LGBTQ+ webinar to be presented June 9 2022-05-23|
- On Thursday, June 9, 1-2:30 p.m. CT, the NIH Sexual & Gender Minority Research Office will host a special Pride edition of the Scientific Webinar Series to spotlight the recently released National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, ...
|VIEWS The closing of civil society: Russia and the U.S., or fear the queer! 2022-04-23|
- Putin's invasion of Ukraine has made manifest the fragility of civil society in Russia and the strength of civil society in Ukraine. It has also once again focused an intense spotlight on our own civil society. ...
|Out British singer Calum Scott takes a page from The Script 2022-04-02|
- Calum Scott came into the public spotlight during the ninth season of Britain's Got Talent, where he performed a cover of Robyn's classic "Dancing on My Own." The reality show was a rollercoaster of a ride ...
|ART Virgil Catherine Gallery presenting 'C/Overt Observations' in Hinsdale 2022-03-15|
- Virgil Catherine Galleryat 45 S. Washington St., in Hinsdalewill host an artist reception for its latest exhibition, "C/Overt Observations," on Saturday, March 19, 5-8 p.m., spotlighting renowned art, fashion and ...
|New journal will spotlight queer and trans religious studies scholarship 2022-01-31|
-- From a press release - UC Riverside will be the host of an unprecedented conference to launch the first academic journal devoted to queer and transgender scholarship in religious studies. The journal, "QTR: A Journal of Queer and Transgender Studies in ...
|Photography giant Annie Leibovitz talks 'Wonderland' at Chicago Humanities Festival 2021-12-13|
- In its classic style of spotlighting creative humans, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) hosted "Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Annie Leibovitz: Wonderland" on Dec. 7 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance. ...
|GLAAD launches video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners 2021-10-04|
- GLAAD has launched "Changemakers," a four-part video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners and their impact within their local communities before and throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The series, presented by ...
|New Supreme Court session: Religion dominates 2021-10-04|
- First in the spotlight as the U.S. Supreme Court begins its new session Monday (October 4) is the seemingly precarious state of the right to abortion, an issue LGBT groups have long considered to be of ...
|Joffrey Ballet's "Home: a Celebration" opens inaugural season at Lyric Opera House 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - August 18, 2021 (Chicago) The Joffrey Ballet opens its inaugural season at the Lyric Opera House and marks its return to live performances with Home: a Celebration, a triumphant mixed repertory program that spotlights original ...
|National Women's Music Festival to stream June 30-July 4 2021-06-13|
- The beauty, power and wisdom of women will be celebrated at the 45th Annual National Women's Music Festival, which will be streamed on Mandolin.com on June 30-July 4. There will be a SheRocks Stage, Spotlight Stage, ...