WINDY CITY TIMES
||SpongeBob's Open Arms
This article shared 4240 times since Wed Jan 26, 2005
In response to attacks directed at SpongeBob Squarepants by Focus on the Family and other conservative organizations, because of SpongeBob's supposed sexual orientation, the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Chief Executive Officer, Lorri L. Jean, issued the following statement:
'If SpongeBob is gay, we want him to know he's not alone. The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's youth center and transitional living program can offer him support and a home if he's ever kicked out of his pineapple under the sea or attacked because of his sexual orientation.
'The anti-gay rhetoric from supposedly 'pro-family' organizations has some serious consequences. It sends a dangerous message to parents that something is wrong with their gay or lesbian children and contributes to feelings of shame and humiliation among youth. All too often, the result is that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender ( GLBT ) youth are forced out by their parents or flee a home that feels unsafe. Many come to Los Angeles where the Center's 24-bed residence for homeless youth is always full and thousands of other GLBT young people live on the streets.'
In the tradition of attacks on Tinky Winky, Focus on the Family's Dr. James C. Dobson said SpongeBob's creators had created a 'pro-homosexual video,' in which he appeared alongside Barney, Jimmy Neutron and others in a video for youth created as a 'tolerance pledge' that includes tolerance for differences of 'sexual identity.' Video creator Nile Rodgers, who wrote 'We Are Family,' said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to create a music video to teach children about multiculturalism. The video has appeared on TV networks, but nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity, he said.
Rodgers said James and his co-horts may have confused foundations, as there is a similarly named group backing gay youth.
This article shared 4240 times since Wed Jan 26, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|OPINION For LGBTQ+ children, the holidays are often the most challenging time of the year 2023-11-21|
- Holiday time for most of us is a time to spend more time with family and loved ones, but for many children, it is a harsh reminder of their non-acceptance and thus, is all the more difficult as well. ...
|Club Q shooting survivors to speak at Chicago's Beer Culture Summit 2023-10-15|
- Last November, Jessica Fierro traveled back to Colorado after speaking at the annual Chicago Beer Culture Summit. Just one week later, her family changed forever at Club Q, a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs. Her daughter's ...
|Reeling Film Festival chooses Family first for opening night 2023-09-24|
- Reeling: The 41st Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival kicked off a night of festivities with its first feature The Mattachine Family at Music Box Theatre on Sept. 9. One of the longest-running film festivals in the ...
|Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo killed in Avondale stabbing 2023-09-20|
- Chicago's LGBTQ+ nightlife community and allies have rallied around the family and close friends of local longtime musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, in the wake of his death by stabbing last ...
|Queer parenthood explored: A transparent dive into surrogacy and hope 2023-08-29|
By Matthew Schueller. Guest commentary for News is Out - I feel extraordinarily lucky. As a kid, I never imagined my life could look like this. Growing up in the closet in the mid-Willamette Valley of Oregon, an area many consider to be the conservative Bible ...
|Billy Masters: Billy marks his 'orchid' (28th) anniversary 2023-08-16|
- "I am disappointed, but keeping with my mission of supporting the LGBTQ+ family, any potential or future money made from this sale will be donated to LGBTQ+ organizations." —Jodie Sweetin's response when she found out her ...
|PASSAGES Beauman "Beau" Kent Breeden 2023-08-16|
- Beauman "Beau" Kent Breeden, 41, passed away Friday, Aug. 11, 2023. Beau is survived by his partner, Eddie Gamboa, and their rabbits Cap and Debbie, as well as queer family that went above and beyond to ...
|Cirque du Soleil holiday show to run in NYC and Chicago 2023-08-07|
- Madison Square Garden Entertainment Corp. (MSG Entertainment) announced that the family holiday event "'Twas the Night Before… by Cirque du Soleil" is returning to both The Theater at Madison Square Garden and The Chicago Theatre this ...
|"The Mattachine Family" to open Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Fest Sept. 21 2023-08-02|
--From a press release - Chicago, Illinois (August 2, 2023) — Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival today announced the dates and opening night presentation for its 41st edition, running Sept. 21 - Oct. 8, 2023. This year, the second-longest ...
|Springfield YMCA targeted by anti-trans activists and Illinois House Freedom Caucus members 2023-07-20|
- The Kerasotes branch of the Springfield, Illinois YMCA was the target of an anti-trans rally on July 13, after a family complained about a transgender woman using the women's locker room. The rally was held at ...
|PASSAGES Radical poet, theorist, educator, activist Minnie Bruce Pratt 2023-07-07|
- Radical poet, essayist, educator, theorist and feminist, LGBTQ+, anti-racist and anti-imperialist activist Minnie Bruce Pratt died June 2 in Syracuse, New York surrounded by friends and family members, after a brief and sudden illness. She was ...
|Chicago's DFSS launches emergency financial assistance for gender-based violence, human trafficking survivors 2023-06-20|
--From a press release - CHICAGO The Chicago Department of Family and Support Services (DFSS) today announced the official launch of the Emergency Financial Assistance (EFA) for Gender-based Violence and Human Trafficking (GBV/HT) Survivors ...
|Baseball bill highlights ties between some Ricketts family members and DeSantis, GOP 2023-06-19|
- The name of the Ricketts familywhich owns the Chicago Cubshas been brought up in connection with Republican, anti-LGBTQ+ presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. According to Newsweek, DeSantis has signed a measure into law that ...
|Turner's book details a life-journey beginning 'When the World Didn't End' 2023-06-02|
- Screenwriter-actor Guinevere Turner has published a new memoir, When the World Didn't End. The book describes both her childhood spent within the Lyman Family cult, and the emotionally-wrought adjustments her family made when Turner's mother left ...
|Organization holds surrogacy information event at Center June 2-3 2023-05-31|
- A national surrogacy organization will host a conference and expo—aimed at gay couples and individuals wishing to learn about surrogacy and gay parents that have already used surrogacy strategies—at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., ...