||Spirituality: Purrfectly Speaking
by Anita Charlot
This article shared 3251 times since Tue Jun 1, 2004
Remember the episode of the Cosby Show where Theo invited Cockroach to appear with him on Dance Mania? Once there, they announced that there was only one spot left on the actual dance floor where they would be taping for television. Theo insisted that Cockroach take that spot. Cockroach declined and told Theo he should go since it was he who had the tickets originally. Theo insisted that it was okay and that Cockroach should go, and so he did. Afterwards, Theo became very angry and felt that Cockroach should have continued to decline, since if it wasn't for him, Cockroach would not have been there to begin with.
Well, Claire in her most logical and practical sense explained to Theo that it wasn't Cockroach that he should be mad at but he should be angry with himself. Theo felt betrayed. He couldn't figure out how his own friend could not figure out that he really wanted to go himself. Claire's advice to him was in the future, be honest. Recognize that he should have spoken up for himself and told the truth.
I use this example a lot.
Can you remember a situation similar to this one, where you said one thing and really meant or felt something else? Do you often find yourself getting angry with other people for not acting/reacting the way that you wanted them to? Do you expect people to read your minds? Do you actually say what you mean and mean what you say? How devastating do you think it is to your spirit and to the connection with the other people for you not to stand for what you really want? I'm not encouraging you to be demanding with everyone in ALL situations, but I am pointing you back to the cause of the discontent ... you not being true to yourself.
Bottom line is you really need to get to know yourself; what feeds your spirit and what doesn't. When you are not honest with yourself first, it is hard for you to accept honesty from other people. Your spirit then is at unrest and the second guessing and the inner judge starts to tell you that if it is that easy for you to tell that little lie in order to hide your true feelings, everyone else can do it, too.
Therefore you walk around not trusting anyone, including yourself. Take a chance, be true to yourself, tell YOUR truth, and trust that the universe will handle everything else. You are worth it and your spirit will reward you for it. Mine sure has! Until next month…love yourself enough to stand up for you.
This article shared 3251 times since Tue Jun 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|VIEWPOINT The FBI, Loaves of Bread, Corruption, and Reform 2023-01-25|
- When I was 13 years old I used to ride shot gun with my uncle A. on his Italian bread truck deliveries. My job was to enter the store with him and remove the old, stale loaves of bread while he ...
|NATIONAL Democrats and trans issues, political wins, gay bars, HIV drug 2023-01-08|
- Republicans and Democrats differ widely in their views on gender identity and transgender issuesbut there are notable differences among Democrats, too, especially by race and ethnicity, according to Pew Research. Overall, 60% of U.S. adults say ...
|Letter to the Editor: Pope Benedict XVI passes away 2023-01-02|
- The Rainbow Sash Movement mourns the passing of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI on Dec. 31 in the Vatican. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, known most recently as the pontiff who renounced the papacy—but who was situated squarely ...
|VIEWPOINT It's The End...again and again and again ... 2023-01-01|
- Jesus thought the end of the world would occur during his lifetime.* As Jesus hanged dying on the cross, he had to deal with the fact that the world had not ended. Paul thought he understood ...
|Dignity USA: LGBTQ+ Catholics recall Pope Benedict XVI's reign as causing LGBTQ+s tremendous damage 2022-12-31|
-- From a press release - Dec. 31, 2022. The passing of former Pope Benedict XVI "marks what is, hopefully, the end of a long, painful era for LGBTQIA+ Catholics, our families, and the entire church," said Marianne Duddy-Burke, Executive Director of ...
|OPINION Remember the youngest victims of anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination 2022-12-19|
- On Dec. 13, the Ohio State Board of Education voted 10-7 in favor of a non-binding resolution opposing proposed changes to the federal government's Title IX protecting LGBTQ+ students. It was just one more blow for ...
|Respect for Marriage Act passage important step but not equity says LGBTQIA+/ally Catholic group 2022-12-09|
-- From a press release - Dec. 8, 2022. DignityUSA, the nation's foremost organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQIA+ people in our church and society, is pleased that both houses of Congress have now passed the ...
|VIEWPOINT What are the most banned books: take a guess 2022-11-18|
- The Latin word for book is liber. It is also the Latin word for "free," as in not a slave but a person who enjoys freedom (liberty). The word library means a home for books, a place of liberation, a sacred ...
|VIEWPOINT The geopolitics of being Brittney Griner 2022-11-18|
- WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner was arrested a week before Russia invaded Ukraine. On Feb. 17, the Russian Federal Customs Service detained Griner at Sheremetyevo International Airport for allegedly transporting cannabis-derived ...
|GUEST EDITORIAL The Workers' Rights Amendment is a vote for equality 2022-11-01|
- It is the American Dream: Work hard and you can achieve a middle-class life. This narrative is a broken bargain for too many in today's workforce. A far worse bargain exists for the LGBTQ+ community, especially ...
|VIEWPOINT The cults of Jesus, Putin and Trump 2022-10-21|
- Originalist Christian nationalism. They say politics makes strange bedfellows. There is none stranger than the curious linking of Jesus to the cults of Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump in the faith and politics of an alarming ...
|LETTER A concerning change at the Art Institute 2022-09-28|
- I have a fond, reverent remembrance of the first time I encountered Felix Gonzalez-Torres' "Untitled" (Portrait of Ross in L.A.) at the Art Institute nearly a decade ago. I was encouraged by a nearby guide to ...
|LETTER Vote 'yes' for the environment 2022-09-21|
- Concerned about climate change? Interested in protecting our precious resources of breathable air, drinkable water, and native habitat? Want to create jobs while mitigating local flooding? Here's a way: in the upcoming midterm election, vote YES ...
|VIEWPOINT The art of citizenship 2022, or night sweats of a classical humanist get worse … 2022-09-08|
- Ten years ago this September, I published my first op-ed for Windy City Times: The art of citizenship 2012, or night sweats of a classical humanist. I wrote this op-ed because of the serious damage being ...
|Vallas speaks at event of group known for anti-LGBTQ+ views [UPDATE] 2022-08-01|
- Former Chicago Public Schools CEO and current mayoral candidate Paul Vallas spoke at a fundraiser for Awake Illinois—a group that has been criticized for its transphobic and homophobic rhetoric, The Chicago Reader reported. The group hosted ...