||South African Lesbian Murdered
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 5247 times since Sat Apr 1, 2006
In Capetown, South Africa, six men have been arrested for murdering a teenager, stoning her to death because she was a lesbian, according to news reports. Zoliswa Nkonyana, 19, was reportedly stabbed and stoned to death by a mob of young people in Khayelitsha on Feb. 4, reports 365Gay.com .
The suspects arrested in the case are between the ages of 17 and 19. They are slated to appear in court to hear murder charges read against them.
The New York-based International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission ( IGLHRC ) joined two South African groups—the Forum for the Empowerment of Women and the Triangle Project—in condemning the killing and called for an end to continuing violence against lesbian women in South Africa. 'The international community must be alerted to this pattern of violence against women being abused, beaten and murdered, particularly in the traditional township areas, because they do not conform to prescribed gender norms,' said Paula Ettelbrick, IGLHRC's executive director.
In addition, the gay-rights group Triangle Project has lashed out at South Africa's Sunday Times for publishing a picture of four lesbians, including Nkonyana, News24.com reported. Despite warnings from the organization of hate crimes against gay and lesbian people in the traditional township areas, the newspaper published the picture of Nkonyana along with three members of her lesbian football club.
This article shared 5247 times since Sat Apr 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|IL General Assembly LGBTQ Caucus condemns Proud Boys led censorship in Downers Grove 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - The five openly LGBTQ members of the Illinois General Assembly today call on Downers Grove District 99 to protect LGBTQ youth in their community from hate and censorship by immediately rejecting calls to censor ...
|WORLD Italian senate, Polish bill, LGBTQ+ Afghans, soccer player 2021-10-31|
- Italy's senate killed a bill that would have made violence against LGBTQ+ and disabled people, as well as misogyny, a hate crime, The Guardian reported. The 315-member senate voted 154 to 131 to block the debate ...
|LGBT History Month: Reclaiming 41, journey to heal notorious trauma for LGBT Mexicans 2021-10-11|
- Until recently, Alberto B. Mendoza hated 41. He cringed if his dinner bill or hotel room number had the number in it, and with the countdown to his 41st birthday, he dreaded the year to come. ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Wis. man attacks trans couple but won't be charged with a hate crime 2021-08-04|
- In Wisconsin, a La Crosse official said incomplete state laws prevented them from charging a man with a hate crime after he attacked a transgender couple in a public park, according to Wisconsin Public Radio. La ...
|Analysis of hate crime laws finds limitations, opportunities, rising hate violence 2021-07-28|
--From a Movement Advancement Project, National Center for Lesbian Rights press release - With a rise in hate violence across the country, a new report from the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) and 16 leading civil rights organizations provides a groundbreaking analysis of state and federal hate crime laws. The ...
|WORLD Anti-LGBTQ crimes, conversion therapy, out prime minister, Pakistan school 2021-07-11|
- In England, police are treating the painting of a homophobic slur on an LGBTQ Pride mural as a hate crime, the BBC reported. The wall in St Helens, Merseyside, which was painted by volunteers and artists ...
|THEATER Goodman's 'I Hate It Here' to stream July 15-18 2021-07-02|
- Goodman Theatre's streaming-in-real-time Live series will conclude with I Hate It Here, written by Ike Holter and directed by Lili-Anne Brown. I Hate It Here appears July 15, at 7:30 p.m.; July 16, at 7:30 p.m.; ...
|President Biden signs historic hate crimes bill into law 2021-05-20|
- WASHINGTON — Wade Henderson, interim president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, released the following statement after President Biden signed into law the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, which included the Khalid ...
|BOOKS Lesbian author Amanda Kabak to release hate-crime novel July 20 2021-05-15|
- Lesbian author Amanda Kabaka Chicago native who now resides in Lakeland, Floridais releasing the novel Upended on July 20. In Upended, Maddie, a driven entrepreneur, finds her world thrown into disarray when she survives a hate ...
|WORLD Caribbean group, hate crime, 'Queen of the Pacific,' volcano wedding 2021-05-02|
- A Caribbean advocacy group launched a fund to help LGBTQ people who have been impacted by the eruption of a volcano on the island of St. Vincent, The Washington Blade reported. The Eastern Caribbean Alliance for ...
|Senate passes COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, NMAC responds 2021-04-22|
--From a press release - April 22, 2021 - Following is a statement from NMAC Executive Director Paul Kawata on Senate passage of the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act. "NMAC applauds the Senate passage of the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act in an ...
|Former 'Bachelor' comes out as gay
- In a Good Morning America (GMA) interview that aired April 14, former Bachelor Colton Underwood came out as gay, Entertainment Weekly reported. "I've [run] from myself for a long time, I've hated myself for a long ...
|Bennett, Noriega named to Illinois Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes
- On April 13, Gov. JB Pritzker announced appointments in his administrationincluding noted LGBTQ Chicagoans Jim Bennett and Mona Noriega to the Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes. Bennett currently serves ...
|WORLD Uzbek activist, hate-crimes report, Ghana arrests, Chely Wright 2021-04-04|
- Uzbek activist Miraziz Bazarov was hospitalized after he was attacked by unknown men hours after his public event was disrupted by dozens of aggressive men in Tashkent, RFERL.org reported. Physicians at the Tashkent Traumatology Hospital said ...