WINDY CITY TIMES
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 4110 times since Wed May 11, 2011
Playwright: Qui Nguyen. At: InFusion Theatre Company at Theatre Wit, 1229 W. Belmont. Phone: 773-975-8150; $25. Runs through: June 5
We enter the black-box auditorium to find ourselves surrounded by tagger-art, flow-morphic videos and scratchy hip-hop music, the last courtesy of stageside DJ "Dishwasha." The first words our questing heroine utters are, "Moshi-moshi, motherfuckers." And with the addition of that final epithet, anticipation of Charlie-Chan accents, rec room karate or other chop-socky giggles ceases, to be replaced by the existential gloom of your favorite graphic novel.
For starters, playwright Qui Nguyen's locale is not some idyllic pastoral kingdom, but a post-apocalyptic New York City now controlled by feudal lords. Oh, hidden conclaves exist within the boundarieszenmaster Leroy's dojo on the Lower East Side, a Christian-soldier monastery in the Brownsville districtbut the Longtooth thugs who, five years earlier, kidnapped the patrician Sally December were the servants of the evil masked Boss 2K, shogun of Brooklyn (or "brook-NAM" as one character dubs it). Racked with guilt, bookish Dewdrop vowed to avenge her lost lesbian lover. Accompanied by sidekick, Cert (as, he boasts, in "Death CERT-ificate"), our intrepid pilgrim ventures into the stygian realms where even those pure in heart risk falling prey to primitive bloodlust.
Indeed, what does it mean that Nguyen's cruelest archvillains ("Hey, let's go make some war," carols Boss 2K) were privileged idealists or white-collar drones before succumbing to the intoxication of power? Do the deaths of Dewdrop's comrades signify the failure of education, religion and filial loyalty to provide her the answers she seeks? Is her odyssey an allegory of ambivalence over the influence exerted upon her by the arrogantly dogmatic Sally? And do the changes in the latter comprise a case study of altruism gone sour?
An abundance of psychological complexity, then, lies beneath the seemingly endless array of adrenaline-pumping martial-arts spectacleduels by flashlight, the "obligatory training montage" and the most original sword-cane stunt in Chicago stage combat historychoreographed by Geoff Coates for an athletic cast led by Christine Lin as the valiant Dewdrop. The real stars of the show, however, are the technical team of David Ferguson, Liviu Pasare, Charles Cooper, Miles Polaski and Joy Dennis, who together create a dramatic universe steeped in metaphor and mystery, where violence is not a mere enhancement but instead seamlessly integrated into their story's very foundations. Arigato gozaimasu, muh-fuhs!
This article shared 4110 times since Wed May 11, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago theater charges on through the cold months 2023-01-31|
- The ongoing 2022-2023 theater seasonroughly September to Junewill be the first complete production season in Chicago in three years. A few troupes cautiously returned to live performances late last spring, but most companies waited until the ...
|Billy Porter discusses his fashion choices, personal ambitions 2023-01-30|
- Billy Porter—the Tony, Emmy and Grammy winner—needs no introduction—especially to the many fans of his character Pray Tell on Ryan Murphy's hit TV series Pose. Coming up exclusively in theaters Feb. 3, Porter will star as ...
|Des Plaines Theater cancels anti-LGBTQ hate group event after outcry from citizens 2023-01-20|
- DuPage County-based Awake Illinois was set to hold an event called "Out of the Echo Chamber: Coalition for Kids" at the city-owned, but not city-operated, Des Plaines Theatre Wednesday, Feb. 8. This event has now been ...
|Theater Review: tick, tick...BOOM! 2023-01-19|
- One of the wonders of live theater is that old works can be revived and reinterpreted to respond to changes in culture and society. Often a new directorial approach can make tried-and-true material feel fresh and ...
|Theater Review: Princess Ivona is a dark but comic portrait of power 2023-01-19|
- Playwright: Witold Gombrowicz. At: Trap Door Theatre, 1655 W. Cortland St. Tickets: 773-384-0494 or www.trapdoortheatre.com; $25 (two-for-one admission Thursdays) Runs through Feb. 18 Trap Door Theatre is now tackling the ...
|Jordan Vasquez treats Chicago to Fosse's Chicago 2023-01-12|
- Actor and openly gay performer Jordan Vasquez, an Illinois native now living in New York City, is giving Chicago audiences "the old razzle dazzle" in the fabulous musical Chicago. This dynamically talented performer brings with him ...
|SHOWBIZ Diversity report, Dave Bautista, Leslie Jordan, greatest singers 2023-01-08|
- The USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative's latest "Inclusion in the Director's Chair" report analyzes the gender and race/ethnicity of the directors behind last year's 100 highest-grossing movies in the country, while the San Diego State Center ...
|SHOWBIZ Best in theater, TV, film and music; Obama's favorites; 'Glass Onion' 2022-12-31|
- Deadline's Broadway critic revealed his picks for the best of 2022. Leopoldstadt topped his list, but other productions included Kimberly Akimbo, Some Like It Hot, Into the Woods, Hangmen, Ain't No Mo', A Strange Loop, Topdog/Underdog, ...
|PrideArts, Chicago drag artists co-produce story of a drag family's tribulations 2022-12-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — PrideArts will celebrate the arrival of the year 2023 by teaming up with the Chicago drag performers Tirrany Reigns and Ramona Mirage to stage Reigns' original Queer Family Dramedy, set just after New Year's ...
|Oak Park Festival Theatre makes history with new artistic director 2022-12-20|
- The Oak Park Festival Theatre (OPFT)—the oldest professional classical theater in the Midwest—announced that Peter G. Andersen will be joining the company as its new artistic director in January 2023. It is the first time that a person ...
|SHOWBIZ Best and worst films, Broadway, Adam Lambert, 'Proud Family,' women's hockey 2022-12-18|
- IndieWire revealed its list of the best LGBTQ+ films and TV series of 2022. Just some of the selections included Benediction, Bros, Do Revenge, Fire Island, Everything Everywhere All At Once, The Inspection, Los Espookys, P-Valley, ...
|Life is a Cabaret for James Harkness these days 2022-12-14|
- Out performer James Harkness is one of the many performers in Cabaret ZaZou's Luminaire, the latest project from the creative team behind the successful show Teatro ZinZanni. Currently in an open run since Sept. 7, 2022, ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, 'Heartstopper,' Lena Waithe, Gyllenhaal, Cher 2022-12-11|
- Out comedian Jerrod Carmichael will host the 80th Annual Golden Globe Awards, Deadline reported. After a yearlong hiatus, the three-hour telecast will air on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2023 from The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills on NBC and ...
|Theater Review: Mosque4Mosque 2022-12-09|
- Author: Omer Abbas Salem. At: About Face Theatre at The Den Tickets: www.thedentheatre.com; $7.50-$41.25. Runs through: Dec. 17 Sara and her children are Syrian immigrants with a nice suburban house. Sara (Rula Gardenier) is an accountant, ...
|Michael Horvich: A caregiver remembers his talented husband 2022-12-07|
- Michael Horvich has had many roles in his lifetime, among them teacher, photographer and author. However, one of his most important was being caregiver to Gregory Maire—Horvich's husband of 41 years, who died in 2015. Maire ...