WINDY CITY TIMES
||Social security protest in Springfield
This article shared 4791 times since Mon Nov 4, 2013
Organizing for Action-Springfield hosted a marriage equality event at the local Social Security office Nov. 4, 2013, in advance of a potential vote on Illinois marriage equality this week.
Speakers were Scott Cross of OFA; couple Buff Carmichael and Jerry Bowman, together 21 years; Lee Korty and Bert Morton, together 31 years; Linda Ryherd-Schroeder, a 10-year military veteran; Peggy Patty of the Abraham Lincoln Unitarian Universalist Congregation; and Ryan Croke, Gov. Pat Quinn's chief of staff.
Video, OFA Springfield marriage equality event at Social Security office 11-4-2013, to come at www.youtube.com/user/WindyCityTimes .
This article shared 4791 times since Mon Nov 4, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Landmark step toward equality: Senate passes bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act 2022-11-29|
-- From press releases - WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — today celebrated the bipartisan passage of the Respect ...
|NATIONAL Respect for Marriage Act, lesbian judge, gay official resigns 2022-11-20|
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-New York) said that debate on the Respect for Marriage Act (RFMA) is suspended and will continue on Nov. 28, when the Senate reconvenes after Thanksgiving, LGBTQ Nation reported. The RFMA ...
|Senate marriage equality bill advances with 62-37 bipartisan vote 2022-11-16|
- A bipartisan group of U.S. Senators voted 62-37 for cloture—the end of debate—for the Respect for Marriage Act (RMA), signaling passage in the near future for the measure that enshrines marriage equality into federal law. The ...
|Rights advocates: Nov. 16 Senate vote a 'backstop' against SCOTUS overreach 2022-11-16|
- Representatives from HRC and GLAD met with media virtually the morning of Nov. 16 to discuss the implications of the Respect of Marriage Act. That legislation, scheduled for a Senate vote the same day, codifies marriage ...
|Reports: Senate to vote on marriage equality law Nov. 16 2022-11-15|
- The U.S. Senate will vote on a measure enshrining marriage equality into law Wednesday, according to reports. Supporters of the measure, known as the Respect for Marriage Act, which aims to protect against an eventual repeal ...
|WORLD Indian judge, marriage items, LGBTQ+-friendly countries 2022-11-13|
- A judge who could pave the way to legalizing marriage equality in India took charge as chief justice, Bloomberg reported. As a judge on the top court, Justice D.Y. Chandrachud was a member of the five-member ...
|Actress Rebel Wilson gets engaged, announces birth of first child [UPDATE] 2022-11-05|
- Actress Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) is engaged to girlfriend Ramona Agruma after dating for seven months, according to Page Six. ...
|Last Mexican state approves marriage equality 2022-10-27|
- On Oct. 27, Mexico's northeastern border state of Tamaulipas voted to recognize same-sex marriage, making it legal in every district in the country, Reuters reported. In its official Twitter account, the congress of Tamaulipas approved the ...
|Calif. judge rules for anti-LGBTQ+ baker in wedding-cake case 2022-10-24|
- In California, a judge has ruled in favor of a bakery owner who refused to make wedding cakes for a same-sex couple because it violated her Christian beliefs, according to a U.S. News & World Report ...
|Singapore moves to legalize male same-sex relations, protect definition of marriage 2022-10-21|
- On Oct. 20, Singapore's government filed bills in parliament seeking to decriminalize sex between men, and to amend the constitution to prevent court challenges to laws and policies concerning marriage, Reuters reported. The proposed legislation in ...
|Slovenia legalizes marriage equality, adoption 2022-10-05|
- Slovenia has become the first Eastern European country to legalize same-sex marriage and adoption. The historic moment has come about after a six-to-three Constitutional Court decision in July said that same-sex marriage and adoption are constitutional ...
|Cuba legalizes same-sex marriage 2022-09-26|
- Cuba has legalized marriage equality after Cubans voted in favor of a family code that increased protections for minorities on the island, CNN reported. With 94% of the votes counted as of 8 a.m. CT on ...
|NATIONAL Marriage bill, drag queen dies, Dutch queen visits, university sued 2022-09-18|
- A bipartisan group of senators trying to pass same-sex marriage protection legislation pushed a vote until after the November electiona move the officials say increases their chances of success but avoids forcing the GOP on record ...
|NATIONAL Protests, Respect for Marriage Act, photographer, Fla. Democrat 2022-09-11|
- The Inland Empire Pride festival in Riverside, California, was disrupted when far-right extremists demonstrated outside the event venue, The Advocate reported. Violent clashes erupted between protesters and those attending the ...
|Singapore to decriminalize same-sex relations, but will ban marriage equality 2022-08-22|
- Singapore will decriminalize sex between men by repealing a colonial-era statute but will amend the constitution to ensure same-sex marriage is not allowed, ABC News reported. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said he believed repealing the ...