WINDY CITY TIMES
||Smithsonian Channel looks at origins of AIDS Dec. 1
From a press release
This article shared 3135 times since Tue Nov 25, 2014
New York, November 25, 2014 – In the early 1980s a mysterious virus appeared to emerge on the streets of Los Angeles and San Francisco. Its earliest victims were young gay men. What followed were years of fear, confusion and ignorance that only compounded the threat of HIV, which even today remains the biggest viral killer worldwide. Now, in RISE OF THE KILLER VIRUS, premiering on World AIDS Day, Monday, Dec. 1 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Smithsonian Channel, a scientific investigation reveals the true origins of AIDS. Where it came from, how it spread, and how the first true HIV hot zone was not in America, but thousands of miles and an ocean away in central Africa. It's a story that holds powerful lessons for the current Ebola crisis and the emergence of the next deadly virus.
Nearly 36 million people have died of AIDS, and another 35 million live with the virus. Since HIV first made headlines in the U.S. in the 1980s, scientists have followed a forensic trail to discover where it was born and how it spread. After decades of research, a stunning truth has emerged. HIV has been with us far longer than we think. In RISE OF THE KILLER VIRUS Dr. Michael Worobey of the University of Arizona and medical researcher Dirk Teuwen, reveal their discovery of a full-blown outbreak of AIDS in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, in the 1960s, a full two decades before it emerged in America. The earliest variant of HIV appeared around as early as 1908, in the jungles of Cameroon.
Alongside the scientific detective story, RISE OF THE KILLER VIRUS traces the history of the AIDS epidemic as it appeared in the headlines, from its early description as a “gay cancer” and rumor of a “patient zero” flight attendant, to the death of Hollywood icon Rock Hudson and 1992 retirement of basketball legend Magic Johnson. After nearly a decade of fear and denial, Tom Hanks' 1993 Academy Award® for Philadelphia was one sign that mainstream America had finally accepted the reality of HIV.
RISE OF THE KILLER VIRUS looks not only into the past. Today, more than ever, humans reach into remote parts of the planet in their thirst for raw materials. This brings thousands of people into intimate contact with pathogens that were never seen in humans before. The world today is much more inter-connected than it was a century ago. Add a collapsing health infrastructure in the most likely hot zones of viral transmission – as the Ebola crisis has shown – and the threat of a new pandemic is perhaps larger than ever.
RISE OF THE KILLER VIRUS is directed by Carl Gierstorfer and produced by DOCDAYS Productions, YUZU Productions and CONGOO for Smithsonian Networks, ZDF/ARTE, CCTV 10, RTBF, and VRT. Charles Poe and David Royle serve as executive producers for Smithsonian Channel. Antje Boehmert and Jean Boue are executive producers for DOCDAYS Productions.
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. This is the place for awe-inspiring stories, powerful documentaries and amazing entertainment across multiple platforms. Smithsonian Channel combines the storytelling prowess of SHOWTIME® with the unmatched resources and rich traditions of the Smithsonian, to create award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science, nature, and pop culture. Among the network's offerings are series including Aerial America, L.A. Frock Stars, Secrets, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include Civil War 360, 9/11: The Heartland Tapes; MLK: The Assassination Tapes and The Day Kennedy Died. Find out more at www.smithsonianchannel.com .
Show website: www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/3415042/the-rise-of-the-killer-virus .
This article shared 3135 times since Tue Nov 25, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Indian commission, queer royals, MTV, Putin, attack in Jamaica 2021-10-24|
- India's National Medical Commission has ordered publishers and medical schools to edit their textbooks and curricula to exclude discriminatory and unscientific portrayals of LGBTI people, according to Human Rights Watch. ...
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk raises more than $400K 2021-10-06|
- CHICAGO — More than 1,800 advocates, community partners, runners, walkers, volunteers, staff members and more gathered at Soldier Field on Oct. 2 for the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago. The event raised approximately $420,000 ...
|Illinois HIV Care Connect launches HIV Innovation campaign 2021-10-05|
- On Oct. 5, Illinois HIV Care Connect launched its HIV Innovation web and social-media campaign, showcasing several Illinois HIV initiatives that are helping to prevent or treat HIV more effectively. Articles about five initiatives so far ...
|NATIONAL Black AIDS Institute, non-binary person attacked, Rachel Maddow 2021-10-03|
- The board of directors of the Black AIDS Institute (BAI) announced the appointments of Toni Newman as its interim chief executive officer and Dr. Kemal M. Atkins as managing director, a press release noted. In addition, ...
|AIDS Run & Walk celebrates 30 years with annual event 2021-10-03|
- Following a year where AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) held its annual AIDS Run & Walk fundraiser virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event returned to Soldier Field on Oct. 2 with the theme "Forward ...
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO â€” On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO â€” AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...