||Sisters in Cinema presents Sister Outsider Juneteenth Celebration
--From a press release
This article shared 769 times since Wed Jun 16, 2021
CHICAGO, IL- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago-based 501(c)3 recently in the news for breaking ground on their new Media Arts Center, Is inviting all to participate in their inaugural Sister Outsider: Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June 19, 2021, at 10:00 AM CST.
This family-friendly celebration will begin by leading its participants on a conversational walk through the once vibrant commercial thoroughfare of South Shore's 75th Street. Along the walk, participants will visit historical and cultural landmarks that played a significant role within the African American community on the Southside. Further, into the walk, Juneteenth participants will also have the privilege of being the first outside the Sisters in Cinema team to tour the inside of the new Media Arts Center scheduled to open in Fall 2021.
Following the walk, the celebration will continue at Rosenblum Park (7547 S. Euclid Chicago, IL 60649), where attendees can enjoy Afro-Beats inspired Zumba tunes, a double dutch competition, and much more. There will also be a kiddie corner for the youth and tasty treats to help keep you cool in the summer heat.
While this month's walk is heavily dedicated to celebrating Juneteenth and paying homage to the journey and achievements of African Americans — from a horrific period of sanctioned enslavement to the pinnacle of human endeavors; Sister Outsider is a walking program with a mission to promote the usage of outdoor space to young black girls, women, and gender nonconforming individuals. It also promotes wellness, safety, and peace.
"As a longtime resident of South Shore, it has always been my aim to be of service to my community and to tap into the neighborhood's potential. The Sister Outsider Program addresses South Shore's potential by creating a program for the community and providing employment opportunities, engagement, and education. In addition, the program promotes increased socio-emotional health and physical health," said Dr. Yvonne Welbon, Founder & CEO of Sisters in Cinema.
The program is made possible through partnerships with Let's Link Chi, a new grant-making initiative, created by the Partnership for Safe and Peaceful Communities (PSPC), in collaboration with Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and community partners South Shore Works: Arts & Culture Committee, fitness & health creative Seobia Rivers, and The Quarry.
Those interested in participating in the Juneteenth celebration can RSVP at https://forms.gle/yBJRjtW5eQ4EAEc68. Temperature checks will be conducted, and full PPE will be provided.
To learn more about Sister Outsider, Sisters in Cinema, and its Media Arts Center, check out the attached FAQ and/or visit the website: www.sistersincinema.com .
About Sisters in Cinema
Sisters in Cinema was founded in 1997 as an online resource for and about African American women media makers. Today we are a Chicago based 501(c)3 non-profit with an inclusive mission to center and celebrate Black girls, women, and gender non-conforming media makers, providing programs designed to educate, raise visibility, and support and serve our communities.
We envision a world where all Black girls, women and gender non-conforming media makers and storytellers have equal opportunities to create and thrive.
This article shared 769 times since Wed Jun 16, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Ruby Rose, Matt Ryan, Beyonce, The Dinah, Simone Biles 2021-08-01|
- Ruby Rose (Batwoman; Orange Is the New Black) tearfully revealed that it took her hours to get accepted into an emergency room due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, EW.com revealed. Rose took to her Instagram Story ...
|Reeling 39th Chicago LGBTQ+ Internat'l Film Fest in-person, virtual in September 2021-07-28|
--From a press release - (July 28, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers, Gilead and AARP present The 39th annual Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival. Founded in 1981, the festival is the second longest-running film festival of its kind, ...
|'Filmmaking on the South Side' on Aug. 21 2021-07-28|
- On Aug. 21, 7-9:30 p.m., Chicago Humanities Festival and local partners from Sisters in Cinema, South Side Home Movie Project and the Chicago South Side Film Festival will host a conversation about the development of community-based ...
|SHOWBIZ Script contest, LGBTQ film, Lady Gaga, Showtime, out sprinter 2021-07-25|
- GLAAD and The Black List—the writer-centric entity whose work includes its annual list, screenplay marketplace, writer labs, and film and television productions—announced plans for The 2021 GLAAD List, the third ...
|Chicago Filmmakers awards $100,000 to local social injustice digital media projects 2021-07-20|
--From a press release - (July 20, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce that the Chicago Digital Media Production Fund (CDMPF) has awarded a total of $100,000 in grants to eight Chicago artists for the production of ...
|Billy Masters 2021-07-19|
- "No excusesI messed up. I'm a big sports fan. I'm like the guy at the end of the game who misses a free throw or a kick."Spike Lee explains why he prematurely announced the winner of ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Whishaw, non-binary actor, Cardi B, Obama, 'Grease' prequel 2021-07-18|
- Out actor Ben Whishaw stars in the film Surge, which will debut Sept. 24 and On Demand, a press release announced. Whishaw portrays Joseph, who is trapped in a soulless job, living a life devoid of ...
|GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index shows more LGBTQ character screen time, not so for trans 2021-07-15|
--From a press release - Los Angeles, CA - Thursday, July 15, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, today released its ninth annual Studio Responsibility Index (SRI), a study that maps the quantity, quality, and diversity of ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|Local film about Latinx community and COVID to screen July 22 2021-07-12|
- On Thursday, July 22, at 6 p.m., the Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., will host a screening of the film Seguimos Aqui. This documentary tells four unique stories of the impact of COVID on ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|AIDS ballet movie coming to Chicago on July 16 2021-07-07|
- The movie Can You Bring It: Bill T. Jones and D-Man in the Waters will open Friday, July 16, in virtual cinemas in Chicago at Gene Siskel Film Center and Music Box Theatre. "Can You Bring It"co-directed by Rosalynde LeBlanc and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hedwig,' Oscars, Demi Lovato, GLAAD, Stevie Nicks 2021-07-04|
- Following 2019's sold-out, three-night engagement at The Town Hall in New York City (and several postponements in 2020), Hedwig and the Angry Inch co-creators John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask are returning with a rock spectacle ...
|MOVIES 'Truman & Tennessee' opening July 2 at Music Box
- The film Truman & Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation will open Friday, July 2, in physical and virtual theater in Chicago at Music Box Theatre. Actors Zachary Quinto and Jim Parsons make voiceover contributions in the film ...
|MUSIC 'Miley Cyrus Presents Stand by You' airing June 25
- Peacock announced that the concert event Miley Cyrus Presents Stand by You will stream Friday, June 25 in celebration of Pride Month. The hour-long concert event, filmed in Nashville, will feature multi-platinum recording artist, songwriter and ...