||Sisters In Cinema Campaigns to Build Media Arts Center In South Shore
This article shared 674 times since Fri Oct 12, 2018
Chicago - October 9, 2018 - The Chicago-based non-profit Sisters in Cinema has launched a crowdfunding campaign for the rehab and buildout of the Sisters In Cinema Media Arts Center.
Founded by award-winning filmmaker Yvonne Welbon, the Center will be located on the south side of Chicago in the South Shore, the neighborhood where she grew up.
Sisters in Cinema launched in 1997 as an online resource for and about African American women filmmakers. Today, it is a non-profit with a mission to entertain, educate, develop and celebrate African American sister filmmakers and their audiences.
The Center will be open to the community and offer workshops, courses, screenings, scholar resources and opportunities to network with industry professionals. Sisters in Cinema wants as much of this as possible to be free.
"Representation matters. Who is telling the story matters. And while we are seeing more representations created by African American women media makers, it's still not enough to begin to represent us in our diversity and complexity," Welbon explains.
"Supporting the creation of more media and scholarship by and about African American girls and women will begin to change the narrative," she said.
Sisters in Cinema was recently awarded a Mayor Rahm Emanuel's Neighborhood Opportunity Fund grant. In order receive the funds, they have to match the grant and raise $100,000. Sisters In Cinema seeks support from those aligned with their mission to bring this vision into existence. While the project will primarily support African American woman and girls, it will also provide opportunities for the larger public. Sisters in Cinema's tagline is BlackInclusiveMedia.
In addition to support from the City of Chicago, Sisters in Cinema is supported by the Community Programs Accelerator at the University of Chicago and the Field Foundation.
To donate to the Sisters in Cinema's crowdfunding page, visit https://goo.gl/rhwTVK
For more information about Sisters in Cinema visit, www.sistersincinema.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 674 times since Fri Oct 12, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Seb throws Carlos a quinceanero on 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' 2021-06-10|
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a streaming television show on Disney+ inspired byyou guessed it!the High School Musical film series. It is set in East High School and has a unique storyline with ...
|Jay Españo named Artistic Director of PrideArts, planning 2021-22 season 2021-06-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Jay Espano, a Chicago actor, director, and filmmaker whose theater training includes education in The Philippines as well as an MFA from Chicago's Columbia College, has been named Artistic Director of PrideArts. Cheri Tatar, ...
|New queer comedy series revisits the women's bathroom 2021-06-02|
- Gal Pal Presents recently premiered a new comedy web series, titled Stalled, which aims to capture the gay nightclub women's restroom scene that you may have experienced, but may have flushed out of memory. The five-episode ...
|Becoming Johanna to air on WTTW 2021-05-31|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL: Becoming Johanna, a compelling story that follows the struggles transgender teens face every day, airs Friday, June 25th at 8:30pm on WTTW (11.1 channel). The film follows Johanna, a 16-year-old transgender Latina, as she ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Love, Victor,' R.E.M., Cher, HIV film, Jane Lynch 2021-05-23|
- The Holy teen dramedy series Love, Victor returns June 11, as season two finds a newly out of the closet Victor entering his junior year at Creekwood High, a press release noted. This season, Victor faces ...
|Doc10 Film Festival returns and includes LGBTQ+ features 2021-05-21|
- Chicago Media Project (CMP) announced the full slate of films being showcased at the annual Doc10 Documentary Film Festival, returning June 17-20. The festival will feature socially distanced, COVID-responsible in-person ...
|FILM Lesbian Bar Project, Jagermeister collaborate on documentary 2021-05-20|
- Following the success of The Lesbian Bar Project PSA and fundraising campaign in 2020, The Lesbian Bar Project and Jagermeister's #savethenight initiative will premiere a documentary short that aims to bring greater awareness to the remaining ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Platt, Cynthia Erivo, Miley Cyrus, 'Halston' series, Pink 2021-05-16|
- Tony winners Ben Platt (Aug. 13) and Cynthia Erivo (Aug. 20) are among the musicians slated to perform during the 2021 Citi Music Series on the Today show, Playbill noted. The series will include in-person concerts ...
|Black Lives, Black Words Int'l Project, Writers Theatre to premier Ride Share 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - Glencoe, IL— Black Lives, Black Words co-founders Reginald Edmund and Simeilia Hodge-Dallaway and Writers Theatre Artistic Director Michael Halberstam and Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma announce Ride Share, a new ...
|FILM NewFest announces summer film series NewFest Pride 2021-05-13|
- NewFest, New York's leading LGBTQ+ film and media organization, announced programming for NewFest Pride, a new summer film series taking place this year from June 4-7. All film screenings and events will be available virtually to ...
|FILM Tello Films founder starts new production entity 2021-05-13|
- Veteran filmmaker Christin Baker, who launched the successful LGBTQ+, SVOD platform, Tello Films, in 2009the first network dedicated to telling stories featuring and about lesbian/queer womenannounced the launch of a ...
|Accidental Shakespeare Company presents virtual Romeo and Juliet 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - Accidental Shakespeare Company presents a virtual film production of Romeo and Juliet, to air in five weekly installments on their YouTube channel, free of charge, beginning on May 15, 2021. Links to each episode will be ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|DANCE Hubbard Street's 'Half of Us' debuting May 20 2021-05-03|
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago's (HSDC) 43rd season will be completed with the virtual world premiere of new work by choreographer/director Robyn Mineko Williams entitled "Half of Us," on Thursday, May 20, at 7:30 p.m. The 16-minute ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Master of None,' children's book, Kristen Stewart, expectant couple 2021-05-02|
- Master of None is coming backbut this time, the series will focus on Lena Waithe's character, Denise, out.com noted. Master of None, created by Aziz Ansari and Alan Yang for Netflix, starred Ansari for the first ...