WINDY CITY TIMES
||Signature Move to have world premiere at 2017 SXSW Film Festival
From a press release
This article shared 520 times since Thu Feb 9, 2017
SIGNATURE MOVE is a hilarious and heartfelt look at modern families and the complexities of love in its many forms. Zaynab ( Fawzia Mirza ) is a thirty-something Pakistani, Muslim, lesbian lawyer living in Chicago who begins a new romance with Alma ( Sari Sanchez ), a confident and vivacious Mexican-American woman. Zaynab's recently widowed mother Parveen ( Shabana Azmi ) has moved in and spends her days watching Pakistani TV dramas while searching for a potential husband for her only daughter. Alma's mother, Rosa ( Charin Alvarez ), is a former professional Luchadora which Zaynab finds fascinating as she has recently taken up lucha-style wrestling training with a former pro wrestler, Jayde. Zaynab tries to keep both her love life and her wrestling a secret from her Muslim mother, who knows more than she lets on.
With wonderful performances by the entire cast, especially Fawzia Mirza as the sexy and quirky Zaynab, Signature Move is a comedy that celebrates the many faces of this country at a time when stories of diversity and acceptance are needed more than ever. It's a wild, vibrant, and very American mix of cultures, generations - and wrestling.
SIGNATURE MOVE is directed by Jennifer Reeder and written by Fawzia Mirza and Lisa Donato. Produced by Brian Hieggelke, Fawzia Mirza, and Eugene Sun Park. Cinematography by Christopher Rejano and edited by Felix Piñeiro. Original score by Carlos Villalobos, Jr., with music supervision by Groove Garden.
Directed by: Jennifer Reeder
Starring: Fawzia Mirza, Shabana Azmi, Sari Sanchez, Audrey Francis,
Charin Alvarez, Molly Brennan, and Mark Hood
Run time 82 min. Not yet rated
SXSW: schedule.sxsw.com/2017/events/FS21120 .
WEBSITE: www.signaturemovemovie.com/ .
TWITTER: twitter.com/signaturemov .
This article shared 520 times since Thu Feb 9, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brittney Griner strikes deal with ESPN, Disney 2023-12-07|
- Two-time Olympic gold medalist and nine-time WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner will partner exclusively with ESPN and Disney Entertainment Television to share her story through various projects on their platforms, according to a press release. A documentary ...
|Trans actress, gay actors, 'Kokomo City' receive Spirit Award nominations 2023-12-06|
- The nominations for the 39th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards have been announcedand LGBTQ+ actors, directors and productions definitely made their mark. Trans actress Trace Lysette was announced as one of the nominees for Best Lead ...
|MOVIES Rick Cosnett chats about 'Shoulder Dance,' Molly and Jason Momoa 2023-12-05|
- In the new movie Shoulder Dance, which is out on streaming, friends Ira (played by out actor Matt Dallas, looking and sounding quite different than from his days on TV's Kyle XY) and Roger (played by ...
|New doc brings home that 'We Live Here' and everywhere 2023-12-05|
- The new Hulu documentary We Live Here: The Midwest highlights the challenges faced in recent times by LGBTQ+ residents of the Midwest, giving voice to a wide representation of people struggling to simply live their lives ...
|MOVIES Director Daniel Peddle on the sequel to the classic doc 'The Aggressives' 2023-12-05|
- In 2005, Daniel Peddle released The Aggressives—a groundbreaking documentary filmed during the late '90s and early '00s in New York City that profiled several masculine-presenting/transmasculine people of color. Fast-forward to ...
|May December film blossoms on Netflix 2023-12-01|
- The Netflix feature film May December, directed by Todd Haynes, takes the craft of character study to a whole new level. The plot is inspired by the true story of Mary Kay Letourneau, an elementary school ...
|GLAAD marks World AIDS Day with launch of global resource hub, new HIV report 2023-12-01|
--From a press release - New York, New York — Friday, Dec. 1 — GLAAD marked World AIDS Day this year by sharing the results of its fourth annual State of HIV Stigma Report, a national survey among U.S. adults measuring ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bodyshop,' Beyonce, Ani DiFranco, Billie Jean King 2023-12-01|
- The Breaking Glass Pictures film Bodyshop will be out on digital on Dec. 5, per a press release. The plot is described thusly: "The ghost of a young soldier sexually assaulted by his lieutenant says goodbye ...
|BOOKS Lucas Hilderbrand reflects on gay history in 'The Bars Are Ours' 2023-11-29|
- In The Bars Are Ours (via Duke University Press), Lucas Hilderbrand, a professor of film and media studies at the University of California-Irvine, takes readers on a historical journey of gay bars, showing how the venues ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, queer novel, 'Tammy Faye,' queer DJ, Bella Ramsey 2023-11-24|
- Billy Porter released his long-awaited new album, Black Mona Lisa, via Island Records UK/Republic Records, and it's executive-produced by Justin Tranter, a press release noted. Porter said, "So many of the songs on my album have ...
|Disney exhibition chronicles a century of entertainment history 2023-11-21|
- Disney100, a large-scale traveling exhibition marking the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company, has opened at the Exhibition Hub Art Center, 2367 W. Logan Blvd., in Bucktown. Hundreds of props and artifacts from the company's ...
|SHOWBIZ Music awards, military film, Tom of Finland, Yo-Yo Ma, 'Harley Quinn' 2023-11-17|
Video below - Brothers Osborne—a duo that includes gay brother TJ Osborne—won Vocal Duo of the Year for the sixth time at the recent CMA Awards, per a media release. Backstage, TJ told reporters, "I did not expect us ...
|Rustin film puts a gay pioneer into the spotlight 2023-11-16|
- The story of activist Bayard Rustin is one that should be told in classrooms everywhere. Instead, because Rustin was an openly same-gender-loving man, his legacy has gone relatively unnoticed outside of LGBTQ+-focused history books. Netflix hopes ...
|GLAAD to receive Television Academy's Governors Award 2023-11-15|
- The Television Academy announced LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD as the 2023 Governors Award recipient. Founded in 1985 by Vito Russo, author of The Celluloid Closet, and other LGBTQ advocates, GLAAD works with leaders in television, film, ...
|Billy Masters: The times Streisand failed to make a splash 2023-11-13|
- "Fame is a hollow trophy. No matter who you are, you can only eat one pastrami sandwich at a time."—Wise words from Barbra Streisand. You all know that Barbra Streisand's book is out. And I ...