||Schaffer and Dixon wedding
This article shared 16223 times since Wed Jul 9, 2008
It was the wedding of the season last Saturday, July 5, as Nancy ( Nan ) Schaffer and Karen Dixon were joined together at a glorious ceremony at the Drake Hotel, 140 E. Walton.
More photos at: www.windycitymediagroup.com/photos/Schaffer-Dixon-Wedding-Photos .
Hundreds of family members and friends attended the event, coming from all over the country to celebrate the occasion. Schaffer is co-founder of Outlines newspaper and co-owner of Windy City Media Group. She is a longtime supporter of community causes, and is a Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame inductee. Dixon is an attorney and political activist. The couple supports a wide range of community causes, including Center on Halsted and Equality Illinois. Schaffer is in the high-collared white outfit, while Dixon is in the sleeveless dress. Best men for the event were David Schaefer and Eric Jorgenson, while the best women were Robbin Burr and Lisa Loudin. George and Betty Dixon gave away their daughter Karen, while Elizabeth Reid and Richard and Maxine Schaffer gave away their daughter Nan. The celebrant was Rev. Vernice Thorn of Broadway United Methodist Church. Windy City Gay Chorus performed several numbers, including "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Photos by Coman Poon.
This article shared 16223 times since Wed Jul 9, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate passage of Illinois marriage certificate name change legislation 2021-05-28|
--From a press release - LGBTQ advocates are celebrating passage of state legislation that will provide certainty for individuals requesting that their Illinois marriage certificates reflect a legal name change. HB 2590 is an initiative of Equality Illinois and Chicago House ...
|LGBT-inclusive marriage-certificate act passes state General Assembly 2021-05-21|
--From a press release - May 21. 2021 - In an effort to modernize marriage certificates in Illinois, state Sen. Sara Feigenholtz and state Rep. Ann Williams helped pass The Marriage Certificate Modernization Act through the Illinois General Assembly. The legislation ...
|Starting May 3, ceremonies in Cook County's downtown Marriage Court can be performed by Zoom 2021-04-30|
- CHICAGO (April 30) — Marriage and civil union ceremonies at Cook County's downtown Marriage and Civil Union Court (Marriage Court) may be performed via Zoom videoconference, as well as in person, starting next week, according to ...
|Illinois Senate passes proposal removing gendered language from marriage certificates
--From a press release - On April 21, on its third reading, the Illinois Senate passed (by a bipartisan vote of 44-13) a proposal that amends the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act to allow the removal of gendered language ...
|Russian leader Putin officially bans same-sex marriage
- On April 5, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a series of constitutional amendments that, among other things, formally defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the country, The Washington Blade reported. ...
|Global momentum for marriage equality surges,"Freedom to Marry Global" website created 2021-03-31|
--From a freedomtomarry.org press release - April 1st marks twenty years since the Netherlands ended the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, becoming the first of so far 30 countries worldwide to affirm the freedom to marry for same-sex couples. Now, two ...
|WORLD Landmark ruling, Montreal's Gay Village, acid attack, anti-LGBTQ laws 2021-03-21|
- In a landmark ruling, a Japanese court ruled that the government's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, NPR noted. Article 24 of Japan's constitution defines marriage as based on the "mutual consent of both sexes," which ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|Pope Francis documentary 'Francesco' to debut March 26
- Pope Francisin the news lately because of the Catholic Church's stance that it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriageis the subject of ...
|DignityUSA: Vatican denying same-sex blessings "Exacerbates pain and anger" 2021-03-16|
--From a press release - March 15, 2021. DignityUSA, the organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQI people in the church and society, is deeply disappointed by the Vatican's statement unequivocally denying blessings to same-sex coupl ...
|Vatican won't bless same-sex unions
- The Catholic Church said it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriage, according to an NBC News item. The Congregation for the Doctrine ...
|Commission: Jamaica should repeal same-sex ban
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), the top rights body of the Americas, said in a symbolic landmark ruling on Feb. 17 that Jamaica should repeal its colonial-era gay sex ban, Reuters reported. Two Jamaicans ...
|Leading groups submit amicus briefs against discrimination against LGBT surviving spouses 2021-02-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON D.C.—AARP, AARP Foundation, SAGE and the American Society on Aging (ASA) filed amicus briefs today in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit arguing that the ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...