WINDY CITY TIMES
||Sally Ride to be among women on U.S. coins next year
This article shared 1190 times since Sat Oct 9, 2021
The United States Mint announced the official designs for the first five coins in the American Women Quarters Program.
The 2022 coins will recognize the achievements of author/social activist Maya Angelou; physicist/astronaut Dr. Sally Ride, a member of the LGBTQ+ community; Wilma Mankiller, the first woman elected principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and an activist for Native American and women's rights; New Mexico activist Nina Otero-Warren, who was the first female superintendent of Santa Fe public schools; and Anna May Wong, the first Chinese American film star in Hollywood.
Ride and Angelou were chosen earlier this year, CNN.com noted. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen chose the rest of the honorees with input from the public, according to the US Mint.
Ride's design depicts her next to a window on the space shuttle, inspired by her quote, "But when I wasn't working, I was usually at a window looking down at Earth."
Authorized by Public Law 116-330, the American Women Quarters Program features coins with reverse (tails) designs emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of trailblazing U.S. women. Beginning in 2022 and continuing through 2025, the Mint will issue five quarters in each of these years.
This article shared 1190 times since Sat Oct 9, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Jodie Foster to star in fourth season of 'True Detective' 2022-05-26|
- The Silence of the Lambs star Jodie Foster is to lead the fourth iteration of HBO's True Detective franchise, True Detective: Night Country, Deadline reported. Foster, who will also executive-produce, will play Detective Liz Danvers in ...
|THEATER Lesbian-cruise drama 'Seven Days at Sea' running thru June 5 2022-05-25|
- Light and Sound Productions is running the world premiere of Seven Days at Sea, written by Martha Hansen and directed by Margaret Knapp, through Sunday, June 5, at The Edge Theater, 5451 N. Broadway. The performance ...
|Gayla Turner talks new book uncovering her grandmother's secret queer identity 2022-05-23|
- In Gayla Turner's debut book, Don't You Dare: Uncovering Lost Love (BookBaby, May 24), she reveals her Grandmother Ruby's (1896-1977) century-old secret queer identity that she hid from the wider world. This revelation became c ...
|TELEVISION Kate McKinnon, Pete Davidson and others to exit 'SNL' 2022-05-20|
- In a major shake-up on the long-running hit Saturday Night Live (or SNL), several of the main stars are leavingincluding out cast member Kate McKinnon, Deadline reported. McKinnon, Aidy Bryant, Kyle Mooney and Pete Davidson (who's ...
|For International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia HRC highlights grants 2022-05-17|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, is commemorating International Day Against ...
|Five Worth Finding: Chocolate festival, lesbian sci-fi film, 'Smahtguy' 2022-05-16|
- —The Long Grove Chocolate Festival: The beloved Chocolate Festival will return to the historic streets and parkways of downtown Long Grove for the first time in three years, May 20-22. Chocolate lovers can experience so much—including ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|Griner's detention in Russia extended by a month 2022-05-13|
- The lawyer for Brittney Griner said May 13 that the WNBA star's pretrial detention in Russia has been extended by one month, ESPN reported. Alexander Boykov told The Associated Press he believed the relatively short extension ...
|HRC calls for passage of the Women's Health Protection Act 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, joined a growing number of organizations calling for the ...
|All WNBA courts to honor Brittney Griner 2022-05-06|
- The WNBA announced plans to acknowledge the importance of Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner to the league, according to a press release. During the 2022 season that tips off Friday, May 6, Griner's initials and jersey ...
|VIEWS Dignity/Chicago celebrates 50 years of ministry 2022-05-06|
- It was 1972 and it was dangerous to be gay or lesbian. One could be arrested, publicly humiliated or fired from one's job. Even finding safety in the emerging bar scene was hazardous. Added to that ...
|LGBTQ+ woman appointed as White House press secretary; GLAAD comments 2022-05-05|
- On May 5, President Biden announced Karine Jean-Pierre has been promoted to be assistant to the president and White House press secretary, according to a White House media release. Jean-Pierre will step into the press secretary ...
|Brittney Griner gets new designation; Black LGBTQ+ group responds 2022-05-03|
- The United States is now saying lesbian WNBA player Brittney Griner is wrongfully detained in Russia, NPR reported. The shift in language indicates the United States will work more aggressively to secure her release. The State ...
|DeGeneres shares message after taping final talk-show episode 2022-04-30|
- An era has ended as The Ellen Show has officially wrapped its last episode. According to Variety, Ellen DeGeneres announced on an April 29 Twitter thread that her daytime talk show concluded filming its final episode. ...