WINDY CITY TIMES
||STARRLIGHT Lynda Carter at the Apollo
by Steve Starr
This article shared 7216 times since Wed Oct 10, 2007
Lynda Carter, as part of her national tour after a 20-year hiatus, adorned Chicago's Apollo Theatre with six special performances, where she beautifully sang many of the most popular and beloved ballads and jazz classics of the 20th century, including Always, Summertime, As Time Goes By and Blues In The Night. She also joyfully flashed her tastefully enormous diamonds as she sang My Heart Belongs To Daddy. Her rendition of Put The Blame On Mame, a song made famous in the 1946 film Gilda, starring the gorgeous Rita Hayworth, was a particular favorite with the closing night audience. Carter was backed by a fantastic six-piece band led by pianist Michael Orland—who is currently the arranger, pianist and associate musical director for the Fox TV show American Idol, and who has worked with dozens of the most famous stars in the music industry.
Linda Jean Cordova Carter was born July 24, 1951, in Phoenix, Ariz., and studied music and drama throughout her childhood and teen years. Carter left Arizona State University to tour with a rock band, and returned home in 1972 to begin a modeling career. In 1973, Carter was crowned Miss World-USA and, in 1975, won the coveted role of television's Wonder Woman, for which she will always be fondly remembered. Carter went on to produce, host, sing and dance in five Network television variety shows and movies, and has also performed in numerous venues that include London's Palladium, and the MGM Grand and Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.
Carter has received numerous honors. In 1978, The International Academy of Beauty voted Carter 'The Most Beautiful Woman In The World.' In 1980, Carter, who is of Mexican and Irish parentage, was given the Ariel Award, Mexico's highest honor, for International Entertainer of the Year presented by the Mexican Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and in 1983 the Hispanic Women's Council of Los Angeles awarded her the distinction of 'Hispanic Woman of the Year.' Carter is married to Washington lawyer Robert Altman, and they have two children.
Carter was extremely personable and fun when we met after her show, posing and signing autographs for fans, including several entertainers and the exuberant owners and staff of Chicago's Kit Kat Supper Club.
Check out Windy City Queercast's Aug. 11 interview with Carter at WindyCityQueercast.com .
Photo of Lynda Carter at the Apollo Theatre taken Sept. 16 by Steve Starr
This article shared 7216 times since Wed Oct 10, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|STARRLIGHT Lana Turner 2008-12-03|
Special to the Online Edition of Windy City Times - The golden girl of the movies was having another violent argument with her mobster boyfriend. Before he could beat her up again, her young daughter stabbed him in the stomach with a kitchen knife, leaving the ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-06-18|
- Venus enters Cancer and infuses our hearts with mushy thoughts of love. But don't lie back and wait for a delivery. Our ardor has new zing. So let's set our sights on the highest brass ring as we ride this crazy ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-06-11|
- Mercury retrogrades and makes our well chosen words a little less so. If you think your opinion should count, wait a couple of weeks before you share your thoughts. In the meantime, stew and slowly boil. ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-06-04|
- June bursts on the scene with a rush of retrograding 'Outer' planets. They cajole us to upend the landscape and (hopefully) bring about meaningful change. Will you plant as you go or just toss around some ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-05-28|
- Just when you thought things were fairly under control, Neptune retrogrades and causes untold confusion and crazy dreams. Ah, but like all else, though, this too shall pass... in a couple of months! ARIES (MARCH 21 ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-05-21|
- The Sun enters Gemini and gives us a rush of positive thoughts. Will you keep them to yourself or spray them around town? Light up the night with some sparkling ideas. ARIES (MARCH 21 - APRIL ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-05-14|
- Get on your game when Mars enters Leo. Not only do you have reserves of energy just waiting to be squandered, you find others are green with envy at all you can accomplish. ARIES (MARCH 21 ...
|STARRLIGHT Debra Messing at Rumba 2008-05-14|
Special to the Online Edition - Debra Messing was born Aug. 15, 1968, in Brooklyn, N.Y. Her parents wished a quieter life for their daughter and her older brother, and moved the family to a small community just outside Providence, R.I. Messing ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-05-07|
- Jolly Jupiter enters Aqueerius. Do you feel your world lighten and luck change? Check your rearview mirror, readjust your personal goals and step on the accelerator. You may just find a shortcut instead of the usual ...
|STARRLIGHT Jay Hernandez profile 2008-05-01|
- Handsome actor Jay Hernandez was born Javier Manuel Hernandez, Jr., Feb. 20, 1978, in Montebello, Calif. One day, while riding with his parents, Isis and Javier, Sr., in a Los Angeles high-rise elevator, he was approached ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-04-30|
- Plant a bevy of May flowers and expect some budding surprises over the next four weeks. Mercury retrogrades and sparks an imaginative jaunt with Neptune. Don't ask 'May I?'. Just forge ahead and bloom. ARIES (MARCH ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-04-23|
- The Sun moves into sexy Taurus as Venus enters randy Aries. The floodgates open and unleash a rush of love. Be bold, be beautiful, be ready, but don't behave. ARIES (MARCH 21 - APRIL 20) Proud ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-04-16|
- Mars trines Uranus this week. Not only are we on the mark, we are ready and set to go, go, go. Aim your arrow high and see how close to the target you get. ARIES (MARCH 21 - APRIL 20) Sweep ...
|STARRLIGHT Jay Hernandez at Rumba 2008-04-09|
Online Special - Handsome actor Jay Hernandez was born Javier Manuel Hernandez, Jr., Feb. 20, 1978, in Montebello, Calif. One day, while riding with his parents, Isis and Javier, Sr., in a Los Angeles high-rise elevator, he was approached ...
|Out in the Stars 2008-04-09|
- Venus and Mercury in Aries conjunct and unleash a blast that makes us feel more confident and invincible. Let's try to contain the energy and have it glow inside of us rather than wastefully splash it ...