||SPIRITUALITY Purrfectly Speaking
by Anita Charlot
This article shared 3229 times since Thu Apr 1, 2004
Hi! I am so full right now I don't know what to do. This last quarter of school has drained me, mentally, emotionally and spiritually ... but I've loved every minute of it. I had two classes, both of a spiritual nature: Research Seminar1 and Individual and Organizational Transformation2. The first one I will share with you in this issue. My topic for my research proposal: Was Christianity Influenced by the 7 Major Religions or Philosophies That Came Before It? I wanted to research what religion did Jesus 'subscribe' to during his life since it wasn't until 40 years after his crucifixion that the first Gospels were written. He couldn't have been a Christian ... then what was he? So much has been confirmed for me and my spirit is happy as a result of my findings.
As you probably already know, I ask a lot of questions. I remember teachers threatening to kick me out of Sunday school because they felt that I was a troublesome student. I wouldn't say that I was troublesome ... more like challenging and inquisitive. I just didn't buy what they told me without having any proof to show or any other document other than the bible and my Sunday school book for me to refer to.
I couldn't imagine a God who exhibited all of the negative traits as a human; one that would rule out the majority of the world from salvation because they didn't believe in the Trinity. It made no sense to me that God was a man, that the minister was a man, that the deacon was a man, and that all of God's disciples were men. I never bought the story of Eve being such a bad person ... hell, as far as I was concerned if Adam was so smart, he should have told Eve to sit her tail down somewhere and put that apple back where she found it. Oooooh, I'm not allowed enough space to talk about this in length; in case you haven't noticed ... I like leaving you with things to ponder.
Well, I would say that my thought process has evolved during my research and now I thirst like you wouldn't believe for the truth. The truth as it relates to me and MY spirit. I have and will continue to research different angles of the different philosophies and religions and I keep what feels right and I discard the rest. Question, do you know YOUR God personally? Or are you a lazy individual that prefers for people to dictate to you what to believe, who to love and how to behave? Are you hungry enough to search for the truth or would you rather be spoon-fed? HA! In that case ... May I take your order? Until next month ... Know Thyself. Acharlot69@hotmail.com
This article shared 3229 times since Thu Apr 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Hungry Souls Collective founders talk genesis of company, other work endeavors 2021-12-22|
- Licensed clinical social workers Victoria Aron and Mikki Guerra have joined forces to create Hungry Souls Collectivea woman-, LGBTQIA- and minority-owned business that specializes in trauma, addiction and spirituality. According ...
|Chef Sheldrick Holmes embraces spirituality, authenticity at The Grail Cafe 2021-11-08|
- Officially, The Grail Cafe is a restaurant in the South Loop. But for owner and chef Sheldrick Holmes, one of the few openly gay Black restaurant owners in the area, the cafe is both home and ...
|AFC conference focuses on bisexual health 2017-11-08|
- Dr. H. Sharif Williams, otherwise known as Dr. Herukhuti, (Center for Culture Sexuality and Spirituality founder, Goddard College professor of interdisciplinary studies and CUNY School of Professional Studies adjunct associate ...
|Tangible Things immerses visitors in African culture 2017-02-06|
- To stop at the unassuming storefront and walk through the doors of Tangible Things is to immediately allow all the senses to become immersed in a wealth of African culture, a beautiful myriad of spirituality and ...
|Youth center supporting LGBT young adults, changing workspaces 2016-07-27|
- Tucked away in the basement of the Wellington Avenue United Church is a refuge. It's not a place to find comfort in spirituality, as one may guess, but a place for LGBTQ youth to find support ...
|Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality Holds Fundraiser in Pilsen May 14
From a press release - Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality (QYES) will be hosting its first fundraising event 5-7 p.m. at Lincoln United Methodist Church located at 2242 S. Damen May 14. The event will be emceed by the QYES Youth Leader ...
|Latin@ issues focus
strategy session 2015-03-31|
- Wesley United Methodist Church of Cicero's Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality (Q-YES) group hosted a community strategy session, "Latin@ LGBTQA United For Action" March 28 at Wesley United Methodist Church in Cicero. This was the third Latin@ ...
|Q-YES to host panel
on Latin@ issues 2015-03-25|
- Wesley United Methodist Church of Cicero's Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality (Q-YES) group will be hosting a community strategy session, "Latin@ LGBTQA United For Action," Saturday, March 28, 12-3 p.m., at ...
|LGBTQA youth retreat
examines spirituality 2014-06-24|
by Robert Castillo - Pre-Retreat: Organizers ironed out last-minute details On a recent Monday evening at Wesley United Methodist Church in Cicero, Alicia Vega, Cesar Robles and Katya Mazon were finalizing details for a unique event taking place, a three-day ...
|Affinity hosts Spirituality, Faith, Non-Belief in LGBTQ Communities 2013-09-19|
- Affinity with the Charles Shelby Rooks Society will host a panel discussion Spirituality, Faith, Non-Belief in LGBTQ Communities on Sept. 21. The panelists will be Consuella Brown, Ann DeShawn, Brenda Lee, and Anthony Stanford, the author ...
|Meshing sexuality, spirituality in video 2013-09-10|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - The month-long "My God Is Not A Bully" campaign was powerful and inspiring to Anna DeShawn, the founder and CEO of E3 Radio and a collaborator in the project with the Church With A Church Movement ...
|Pope Francis: Don't judge gay people
HRC, Catholic LGBT Ministry respond - Pope Francis has said gay people should not be marginalized or judged, the BBC has reported. Speaking to reporters while flying back from Brazil, the pontiff asked, "If a person is gay and seeks God and ...
|Cardinal George urged to sit out 'ex-gay' conference
- Cardinal Francis George is being urged to skip a conference this weekend they say will offer workshops on "reparative" gay therapy. Conference organizers say that's not the purpose of the event, but some participants have close ...
|MCC founder Rev. Troy Perry honors Chuck Renslow
- The Metropolitan Community Church is holding its international General Conference this week in Chicago. At a July 1 welcoming worship service, Rev. Troy Perry, the founder of the MCC, gave Chuck Renslow the annual Founder's Award. ...
|'My God is Not a Bully!' launch May 29
- It began in 2011 at a meeting in Tucson, where the national Coordinating Team of the Church Within A Church Movement looked for a way to share the message that "God is Love, not hate". A year later, a video legacy ...