WINDY CITY TIMES
||SAVOR River Roast
by Andrew Davis, Windy City Times
This article shared 2700 times since Wed Dec 11, 2019
At River Roast ( 315 N. LaSalle St.; RiverRoastChicago.com ), the centerpiece menu item is its Beef Tomahawkan almost three-pound, wet-aged steak attached to a bone that's reminiscent of the Brontosaurus ribs seen on the opening credits of old Flintstones cartoon. It comes with shoestring fries and herb butter. ( It also costs $105, so it's definitely more of a "special occasion" item. )
That's the type of item guests can expect at this River North restaurant that's situated on the Chicago River ( hence its name ). In the summer, people can sit outside and enjoy incredible views while eating.
But going from the view back to the menu items, let's continue with beverages. While I went with hot tea, my friend/dining companion had Old Fashioneds ( yes, plural )meaning he definitely enjoyed this spot's version of the cocktail. However, River Roast also has cocktails such as Whiskey Smash and mulled wine in addition to a variety of cocktails and mocktails ( the latter listed under "Temperance" ).
Appetizers and sides provided a delightful culinary start ( although the sourdough bread, accompanied by spreadable Gruyere, was tasty as well ). The Golden Gobbits ( seasoned fried chicken nuggets, with honey ) were practically addictive, the macaroni and cheese were solidly done and the Carrots & Dirt ( carrots with pumpernickel crumbs, goat cheese and balsamic ) were great. ( Despite the spot's name, River Roast has a variety of wonderful vegetarian/vegan dishes, including quinoa salad and roasted acorn squash. ) Other apps sound scrumptious, including shrimp-and-crab toast, blistered shishito peppers and burrata.
So, let's go back to the Tomahawk. It's presented tableside, with the server carefully removing the bone from the meat, and then slicing the steak. It's certainly one of the best steaks I've had recently ( although Tao Chicago's Wagyu is up there as well )and, if only two people are eating, you're almost certain to have delicious leftovers. However, if steak isn't your thing, River Roast offers its famous roast chicken ( half of whole ), pork shank and whole fish as well.
And don't go without sampling dessert. The slices of chocolate ( silky ) and carrot cake ( hearty and not too sweet ) we ordered are seemingly each almost as big as your headand they taste as great as you'd expect.
Note: Profiles/events are based on invitations arranged from restaurants and/or firms.
This article shared 2700 times since Wed Dec 11, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|FDA funding blood-donation study about gay, bisexual men
- On the heels of news that England has mostly relaxed regulations regarding blood donations from gay and bisexual men, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is funding a study around blood donations by men in those ...
|Report: Take Off Your Mask So I Know How Much to Tip You 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - Today, One Fair Wage, a national nonprofit organization representing subminimum wage and other tipped workers, in partnership with #TimesUp, the UC Berkeley Food Labor Research Center, Professor Catharine MacKinnon, Professor Louise Fitzgerald and ...
|Five Worth Finding: Restaurants, OUT100, children's book, face mask 2020-11-19|
- —Perry's Steakhouse & Grille (PerrysSteakhouse.com): This suburban spot (with two restaurants in Oak Brook and Schaumburg) is well-known for its delicious cuts of meat, sumptuous sides and hand-crafted cocktails. It's ...
|57th Street Art Fair to return next June 2020-11-10|
- The 74th annual 57th Street Art Fair is slated to return June 5-6, 2021. The free event is the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, featuring nearly 200 artists, live music, kids' activities and a food court. ...
|SAVOR Untitled Supper Club, dinner and a show 2020-11-08|
DISH Dining Guide - The night before COVID-19 restrictions recently tightened on restaurants and bars (again), a friend and I checked out Untitled Supper Club (111 W. Kinzie St.; UntitledSupperClub.com)—which offered not just a ...
|SAVOR Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea 2020-10-26|
- With so many coffeehouses in Chicago, some of them have come up with compelling and/or unique ways to keep or lure patrons. Count Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea (multiple locations; Fairgrounds.cafe) as one of those coffeehouses. Sure, ...
|Andersonville Farmers Market extended through November
- The Andersonville Farmers Market (AFM) will remain open four additional weeks—at a new day and time. The extension will take place Nov. 1, 8, 15 and 22, 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the shared street space on Catalpa ...
|SAVOR Fulton Market Kitchen 2020-10-21|
- Over the years, Fulton Market Kitchen (311 N. Sangamon St.; FultonMarketKitchen.com)which is, naturally, in the Fulton Market Districthas intrigued and even dazzled patrons, thanks to the combination of inviting food ...
|SAVOR The Outpost Mexican Eatery; Mercadito 2020-09-29|
DISH Dining Guide - For the last print issue of Windy City Times, there are two restaurants in the spotlightand they both happen to be Mexican eateries. The Outpost Mexican Eatery The Outpost Mexican Eatery (520 W. Harrison St.; TheOutpostMexicanEatery.com) ...
|Artist-led "Retreat" to provide platform for creatives in food, music, art 2020-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Rebuild Foundation, the arts, education and cultural development organization founded by artist Theaster Gates, and Dorchester Industries today announced the opening of "RETREAT," an artist-led activation aimed at ...
|Five Worth Finding: Tom of Finland, help for renters, 'Batwoman' 2020-09-22|
- —Rentervention (https://lcbh.org/get-legal-help/rentervention): This webpage begins with a daunting statistic: Each year, more than 20,000 people are evicted from their homes in Chicago. Rentervention—a part of the ...
|Chicago releases outdoor dining guidelines for fall, winter
- Keeping the COVID-19 pandemic in mind, the City of Chicago released guidelines for safe outdoor dining this fall and winter. All outdoor spaces must have a sidewalk cafe permit, outdoor patio license or an expanded outdoor ...
|SAVOR Froth: A coffee lover's delight 2020-09-21|
DISH Dining Guide - It might take something special to lure people to Froth (1515 W. Monroe St.; Froth.cafe). Fortunately, Froth has more than one attractionespecially for those who indulge in coffee (which seems ...
|Care for Real names new executive director 2020-09-10|
- Care for Realone of the largest food pantries in the Chicago areahas named Gregory D. Gross as its new executive director. Gross is moving to Care for Real from The Night Ministry, where he most recently ...
|SAVOR: PB&J 2020-09-09|
DISH Dining Guide - Who didn't love a good peanut butter-and-jelly sandwich while growing up (unless you had a peanut allergy)? Well, the folks at PB&J (205 N. Peoria St.; PBJWestLoop.com) offer this popular item although, of course ...