WINDY CITY TIMES
||SAID tags +$500M toward creating AIDS-free generation
From a press release
This article shared 2988 times since Sun Jul 27, 2014
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - The U.S. Agency for International Development ( USAID ) announced today three major HIV and AIDS awards, funded by the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief ( PEPFAR ), to support global efforts to help end extreme poverty by creating an AIDS-free generation. The new programs support implementation of the PEPFAR Blueprint: Creating an AIDS-Free Generation to expand evidence-based HIV interventions, reach and serve populations at greatest risk, and strengthen shared responsibility among all of those affected by HIV and AIDS. Announced at the 20th International AIDS Conference ( AIDS 2014 ) in Melbourne, Australia, the investments illustrate how USAID is supporting the next phase of PEPFAR, and the global HIV and AIDS response.
"With this substantial investment, USAID and PEPFAR are better able to sustain a lasting impact in the global fight against HIV and AIDS," said USAID Assistant Administrator for Global Health Ariel Pablos-Méndez.
"By strengthening high impact interventions, engaging key populations, and supporting the capacity of local partners and host country governments, we know that it is possible to accelerate the end of this epidemic and realize the promise of an AIDS-free generation."
The awards include:
USAID's Strengthening High Impact Interventions for an AIDS-Free Generation ( AIDSFree ) is a $250 million award that will be implemented over five years by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. in partnership with Abt Associates, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation ( EGPAF ), EnCompass, IMA World Health ( IMA ), The International HIV/AIDS Alliance ( The Alliance ), Jhpiego, and Program for Appropriate Technology in Health ( PATH ). AIDSFree aims to improve the effectiveness of high-impact, evidence-based HIV interventions ( e.g., prevention of mother-to-child transmission [PMTCT]; voluntary medical male circumcision [VMMC] ), and accelerate the speed with which these interventions are brought to scale at country-level.
USAID's Linkages Across the Continuum of HIV Services for Key Populations Affected by HIV ( LINKAGES ) is a $73 million award that will be implemented over five years by FHI 360 in partnership with IntraHealth International, Pact, and the University of North Carolina ( UNC ), Chapel Hill. LINKAGES aims to strengthen the ability of partner governments, key population ( KP ) civil society organizations, and private sector providers to effectively deliver comprehensive, high-quality HIV prevention, treatment, and care services for KPs and their partners.
USAID/Southern Africa's Capacity Development & Support Project ( CDS ) is a $180 million award that will be implemented over five years by FHI 360 and its South Africa-based consortium partners: Deloitte South Africa, Foundation for Professional Development, and Institute for Health Measurement. Resource partners for the award include: Sonke Gender Justice Network, Hospice Palliative Care Association, Tshikululu Social Investments, and Walter Sisulu University Foundation. The CDS aims to mitigate the impact of HIV and AIDS by increasing local partner capacity and supporting the South African Government.
To learn more about USAID's work in HIV and AIDS, please click: www.usaid.gov/what-we-do/global-health/hiv-and-aids .
This article shared 2988 times since Sun Jul 27, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|31ST annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises more than $9 million 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2023 — The 31st annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Viewing Party hosted by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with special guests Eric McCormack and Michaela Jae Rodriguez, raised more ...
|Returning World of Chocolate event nets $250K 2023-02-22|
- On Feb. 17, AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC) annual fundraiser, World of Chocolate returned after a three-year break due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, the event was held in the main entry way of Union ...
|Gov. Pritzker Proposes $5M cut to state HIV funding 2023-02-17|
--From a press release - Feb. 16, 2023—Speaking before a joint session of the Illinois General Assembly for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor JB Pritzker delivered his annual State of the State and Budget address ...
|NATIONAL Mayor's honor, sexuality oath, Big Freedia, TikTok COO, AIDS Quilt 2023-02-11|
- Openly gay San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria recently became the latest recipient of the Latino Leaders Network's Antonio Villaraigosa Leadership Award during the organization's Tribute to Mayors, the Los Angeles Blade reported. The biannual event, held ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, Alan Cumming, Andre Leon Talley, AIDS drama 2023-02-05|
- Openly gay stand-up comic and recent Golden Globes host Jerrod Carmichael is set to star in a comedy documentary series for HBO, according to Entertainment Weekly. The yet-untitled series will center on Carmichael's personal life, following ...
|AFC's World of Chocolate on Feb. 17 2023-01-02|
- After a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will host the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, Feb. 17, at Union Station, 225 S. Canal St. This event features a menu ...
|Chicago activist Jeff Berry discusses advocacy for aging persons living with HIV 2022-12-08|
- For longtime Chicago activist Jeff Berry, becoming the first executive director of the Reunion Projectâ€”a national alliance centering aging persons living with HIV, which Berry co-founded in 2015â€”was a significant ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|PRCC-VIDA/SIDA event marks World AIDS Day with Vigil and Baton show 2022-12-05|
- On Dec. 1, the Puerto Rican Community Center (PRCC) and Vida/SIDA celebrated World AIDS Day with a candlelight vigil in the afternoon and a commemorative show at The Baton Show Lounge in the evening. The earlier ...
|Chicago's sweetest party and fundraiser, World of Chocolate returns In-person Feb. 17 at Union Station 2022-12-05|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO â€” Glitz, glamour and chocolateâ€¦after a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) proudly announces the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, February 17 at Union Station ...
|Cleve Jones, founder of AIDS Memorial Quilt, honored with Lifetime of Commitment Award on World AIDS Day 2022-12-03|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA (Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2022) â€” The National AIDS Memorial marked World AIDS Day with a national observance at the 10-acre National AIDS Memorial Grove in San Francisco, honoring AIDS activist and founder of the AIDS Memorial Quilt ...
|Pritzker administration announces highly effective HIV treatment coming to Illinois in 2023 2022-12-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO â€” Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced today on World AIDS Day that a new, long-acting HIV treatment called Cabenuva will become available to thousands of ...
|World AIDS Day: GLAAD releases 2022 State of HIV Stigma Study 2022-12-01|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY - December 1, 2022) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is releasing its third annual State of HIV Stigma ...
|Peppermint barks while Broadway bangs, and all the other dish to start the week 2022-11-28|
- "I love Broadway. I love what they doâ€”Broadway Cares, but I also want to say the show is extraordinary!" â€”Nicole Kidman's impromptu speech after bidding $100K to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for Hugh Jackman's hat after ...
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...