WINDY CITY TIMES
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Sally Ride to be among women on U.S. coins next year 2021-10-09|
- The United States Mint announced the official designs for the first five coins in the American Women Quarters Program. The 2022 coins will recognize the achievements of author/social activist Maya Angelou; physicist/astronaut Dr. Sally Ride, a ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...
|ARCHITECTURE Thompson Center Idea Competition winners named 2021-09-14|
- The Chicago Architecture Center and the Chicago Architectural Club announced the jury's selection of three winning designs for the Thompson Center Design Ideas Competition that represent three distinct, creative visions for the State of Illinois Thomp ...
|Helmut Jahn architecture exhibit has opened 2021-07-24|
- The Chicago Architecture Center (CAC), 111 E. Wacker Dr., has opened its first, major limited-run exhibit, "Helmut Jahn: Life + Architecture," the career retrospective of Helmut Jahn's innovative architectural designs. ...
|LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois announces 'Shop Pride' program, showcasing LGBTQ+ business 2021-07-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — The LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois (LGBTCC), today announced the official launch of the Shop Pride program designed to encourage Illinois residents to support ...
|NATIONAL Pulse, Philly Pride, Mormons, Victory Fund, anti-trans bills 2021-06-27|
- President Joe Biden (D) signed H.R. 49, the bill designating the site of the 2016 Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida as a national monument, into law, according to LGBTQ Nation. Afterward, Biden commemorated Pride Month ...
|U.S. Bank opens branch in Lake View with LGBTQ+ design
- U.S. Bank has brought what it calls "an enhanced banking experience" to customers of the Lake View East branch at 3214 N. Broadway. The branch is one of four LGBTQ+ flagship branches, with others at West ...
|Biden, Harris make Juneteenth a national holiday
- On June 17, President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris signed a bill designating June 19 as officially Juneteenth National Independence Daya U.S. federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in this country. With the ...
|Congress makes Pulse Nightclub a national memorial 2021-06-12|
- The U.S. Senate unanimously passed legislation designating the site of the Pulse Nightclub a national memorial, NBC News reported. The House passed its version of the bill May 12. The measure now goes to President Joe ...
|ATTRACTIONS Chicago Architecture Center reopens with new exhibits 2021-06-08|
- On May 22, the Chicago Architecture Center (CAC), 111 E. Wacker Dr., opened all-new and updated exhibits in its 10,000 square feet of galleries full of scale models of new building designs from Chicago and around ...
|Home of LGBTQ pioneers Phyllis Lyon, Del Martin first San Francisco lesbian history landmark 2021-05-04|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO — On Tuesday, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors unanimously passed an ordinance authored by District 8 Supervisor Rafael Mandelman to designate the former home of pioneering LGBTQ and civil rights activists Phyllis Lyon ...
|Netflix to debut limited series 'Halston' on May 14 2021-04-23|
- On what would have been legendary fashion designer Roy Halston Frowick's 89th birthday (on April 23), Netflix stated it was honoring the visionary icon by announcing the Friday, May 14, global premiere date for the five-episode ...
|National Trust advocates to protect legacy of LGBTQ+ pioneers
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — The National Trust for Historic Preservation will testify tomorrow before the San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission in an attempt to secure a local landmark designation for the San Francisco home of pioneering LGBTQ+ ...
|Chicago Southland Restaurant Week on Feb. 21-27
- The Chicago Southland Convention & Visitors Bureau announced the launch of the inaugural Chicago Southland Restaurant Week. Designed to promote Chicago Southland restaurants while encouraging residents and visitors to support ...
|Ravinia Women's Board unveils winner of poster competition
- The Ravinia Women's Board unveiled the winner of its annual Ravinia season poster competition. Minneapolis graphic designer Sean Quinn, 28, is the recipient of the competition's top prize for a second time; his entry in the ...
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard|
|Chicago Sky win their first WNBA championship|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula'|
|BOOKS Twelfth (and final) 'Boystown' cover revealed|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV|