WINDY CITY TIMES
||Ravenswood gallery plans exhibit on sexual assault, opens call for art
From a press release
This article shared 7129 times since Sat Dec 26, 2015
The Awakenings Foundation, the home of the only known collection of rape survivor artwork, is announcing its first curated exhibit, Graphic Relief, which will feature international comic book, graphic novel, and zine media artists who deal with the topic of street harassment. There is an open call for art until January 2016 and all artists are welcome to submit, regardless of survivor identity, as long as works speak to the topic.
The Awakenings Foundation exists to help survivors of sexual assault heal through the creative arts. This exhibit will open up our mission to a wider community of artists and patrons by tackling the epidemic of street harassment and cat-calling, which has been thrust into a well deserved spotlight in recent digital and social media. Street harassment is a form of verbal abuse and sexual assault, and it is part of Awakenings' mission to educate our community about the impact of its disrespect. Since this exhibit will be highly educational by nature, each visitor's time at Awakenings will provide them with a set of emotional and verbal tools to fight against street harassment and rape culture.
So far the show will feature artists from Germany, Poland, New Orleans, and Chicago. We are still accepting submissions and look forward to expanding our geographic reach.
The Awakenings Foundation is a private operating foundation created to support and showcase the artistic expression of survivors of rape and/or sexual abuse. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
This article shared 7129 times since Sat Dec 26, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|StoryStudio Chicago's LGBTQ+ nonfiction writing class starting Aug. 17 2022-08-11|
- StoryStudio Chicago is offering a unique writing class titled "June Is Not Enough: An LGBTQ+ Nonfiction Writing Class." The idea behind the class is to promote and foster the work of LGBTQ+ people. Writers who register ...
|Haven Chicago presenting first-ever Festival Au Cinema on Aug. 26-28 2022-08-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (August 8, 2022) — Haven Chicago is pleased to present its first annual Festival au Cinéma, the company's new platform for visionary and innovative filmmakers and media artists staking their claim in the future of ...
|Kinsey Institute exhibiting iconic Tom Fox HIV/AIDS photo series 2022-08-05|
- An exhibition of 60 iconic photographs documenting Indiana University alumnus Tom Fox's battle with AIDS in the late 1980s will hang in the Grand Hall of Maxwell Hall on the Indiana University-Bloomington campus. "Wild Horse Running: ...
|ART Wrightwood 659 to show 'The First Homosexuals,' 'Michiko Itatani' 2022-08-04|
- The Lincoln Park space Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave., will show two exhibits"The First Homosexuals: Global Depictions of a New Identity, 1869-1930" and "Michiko Itatani: Celestial Stage"on Fridays and ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Chalk Howard Street outdoors for the first time since 2019 on Aug. 27 2022-08-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (Aug. 1, 2022)—Chicago's only chalk art festival, Chalk Howard Street, announced its entertainment programming and vendors list, as it makes a full return outdoor and in person for the first time since 2019. National ...
|LGBTQ+-inclusive 'All that Glows' running through Oct. 1 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - Weinberg/Newton Gallery, a non-commercial gallery dedicated to promoting social- justice causes, is partnering with the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois to present All that Glows in the Dark of Democracy, July 29 — Oct. 1 ...
|21st annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest taking place Aug. 19-21 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 26, 2022)The popular Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (GAAF) announces complete music lineup for the three-day festival, headlined by Chicago rapper Psalm One, Rock n Roll band from New ...
|Trans artist to showcase woodworking on Aug. 13 2022-07-27|
- Trans artist J. Emmett (he/they), of J. Emmett Studios, will open his private studio for the first time to show his custom woodworking, along with works from local ceramicist Krista Tyner (she/her), of TynerWorks. The "A ...
|MCA Chicago announces Chicago Performs, which focuses on contemporary, POC and queer artists 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO— The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago, with the support of Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and Choose Chicago, announced the ...
|Queer teen artist/activist talks Girl Scout Gold Award, LGBTQ+ inclusion, future plans 2022-07-23|
- When Molly Kasch became a Brownie at age 8, she never dreamed she would earn the prestigious Girl Scout Gold Award 10 years later for her "Scouting the Rainbow" project. The award "is the highest achievement ...
|Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra performing historic concert on Aug. 6 2022-07-20|
- The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture announced a once-in-a-lifetime concert event featuring the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra to be held Saturday, Aug. 6, at Chicago's Symphony Center, 220 S. Michigan Ave. The performance, ...
|DePaul Art Museum fall exhibitions to showcase Latinx, BIPOC surrealist women artists 2022-07-18|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO —— This fall DePaul Art Museum will present exhibitions featuring surrealist artists who explore themes of finding freedom in oppressive contexts. "A Natural Turn: María Berrío, Joiri Minaya, Rosana ...
|'A Midsummer Night's Dream' in Chicago parks through Aug. 21 2022-07-16|
- For Midsommer Flight's annual summer production of Shakespeare in Chicago parks, the company will celebrate its 10th anniversary by revisiting the play that in 2012 began the company's 10-year run as an arts partner with Chicago ...
|Fan Expo Chicago 2022 celebrates 50 years of comic conventions 2022-07-11|
- Throwing a successful comic-book conference comes with great responsibility. Just ask any Spider-Man you might run into at the Fan Expos located around the country. The newly titled Fan Expo Chicago swung into Donald E. Stephens ...