|REFLECTIONS: Golden Problems
by Carlos Mock
This article shared 2715 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
The recent dramatic rise in the gold price caught everyone by surprise. Many had been expecting a short-term decline in the gold price. Instead, they were caught by a sudden wave of buying on the Tokyo futures market. At one point, gold was trading at a 24-year high of $526/ounce.
While the immediate rise in gold has really been a decline in the yen, the rise in the price of gold is a sign of the markets' displeasure with all the major developed world currencies.
In May, it had been the turn of the euro. The failure of the ratification process for the European Union constitution was followed by the year's first move up in the gold price. Then, in August, came the rapid decline in confidence in the Bush administration. With the talk of huge reconstruction spending after Hurricane Katrina, the open-ended, seemingly futile commitment to Iraq, and the dubious appointment of a White House staff member to the Federal Reserve chairmanship ( 'good job Brownie' ) , the traders waved in gold purchases.
The truth is that all the major currency areas are burdened by debt and deficits. Furthermore, the chronic developing world debt crisis has now been turned on its head. The real debt problem is the Third World's ( mostly China ) growing holdings of shaky rich world debt. The developed currencies need to be collectively devalued relative to those of the rising powers.
The Financial Times also reported that U.S. Treasuries rose, sending yields lower, after a disappointing $8bn sale of 10-year paper. The real yield curve, which plots the yield on different maturities of U.S. inflation-protected bonds, or Tips, continued its flattening trend and inverted. The yield on 30-year Tips fell below the five-year yield to its lowest level since July 2000. Most analysts predict that the market is hardening expectations for continued tightening by the U.S. Federal Reserve.
Even though the technology of finance has made enormous progress since the inflation and financial crises of the 1970s, the signs for a future recession—both the rise in the price of gold and the inverting of the yield curves—point toward hard times in the near future.
This article shared 2715 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Brave Space Alliance releases statement on forensic audit of organizational finances 2022-11-21
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - The Board of Directors ("Board") of Brave Space Alliance (BSA) has sent a report to the Illinois Attorney General Office's Charitable Trust Bureau outlining the findings of ...
|Britney Spears' conservatorship ends 2021-11-12
- The conservatorship that has controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, has ended. On Nov. 12, Los Angeles County Superior ...
|Mayor Lightfoot presents State of the City address 2019-08-29
- State of the City August 29, 2019 Good evening. Thank you for tuning in. Tonight, I want to speak to you about the state of our city and its finances. The city's finances impact every aspect of our lives as Chicagoans ...
|Former employee of abuse survivors group files retaliation lawsuit 2017-01-25
- A Chicago woman has filed a lawsuit against an abuse-survivors' advocacy organization, alleging that the group fired her in retaliation for investigating the organization's finances. Gretchen Rachel Hammond, who is a senior ...
|Report looks at LGBT social-justice groups 2016-12-21
- The 2016 National LGBT Movement Report, now out, provides a comprehensive and standardized look at LGBT movement's finances across LGBT social-justice organizations that focus on broad LGBT advocacy, issue-specific advocacy ...
|Financial pros discuss
same-sex marriage 2015-04-28
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - As part of Money Smart Week, lasting from April 18-25, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago hosted a session discussing how marriage equality affects personal finances. "The Financial, Tax and Legal Ramifications of Marriage Equality" took ...
|PASSAGES Barbara "Robbie" Smith, services March 7 2015-03-04
From Affinity - Affinity announces with sadness the services of a beloved community member and mentor to many, Barbara "Robbie" Smith. Robbie was a longtime Affinity board member, managed the organization's finances for 12 years, was a founding member ...
|Think tank releases
report of finances of
LGBT-advocacy groups 2014-12-31
- This December, the Colorado-based independent think tank Movement Advancement Project (MAP) released the 2014 National LGBT Movement Report, a comprehensive overview of the financial health of almost forty leading LGBT ...
|Men Having Babies
hosts parenting expo 2014-09-16
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Men Having Babies, Inc. organized a surrogacy seminar and gay parenting expo on Sept. 13 at the Center on Halsted. More than 50 couples perused the showcased fertility booths, attended the various workshops about finances and ...
|Protect your lover by making your will 2012-01-18
- Q. My lover passed away last month from cancer. We were together for over 30 years, unfortunately, neither of us had a will nor did we have a civil union. What are my legal rights? A. Unfortunately, because you and your ...
|About Face Theatre Shortens Season/Launches Emergency Campaign to Save Theatre 2009-02-25
News Update Wednesday Feb. 25, 2009 - FROM A NEWS RELEASE About Face Theatre Shortens 2008/2009 Season, Postpones Spring Show, Theatre Launches Emergency Campaign to Stabilize Finances During Economic Downturn CHICAGO- Artistic Director Bonnie Metzgar and Managing ...
|Citywide Pride: Speakers lend financial-planning tips 2008-06-25
- Many lesbian and gay people are in the dark when it comes to their finances. At a recent Citywide Pride event hosted by Merrill Lynch and the law offices of McDermott, Will & Emery, 227 W. Monroe, 'Out in the Workplace, ...
|Letter: March 27 budget hearing 2008-03-26
- Dear Editor, As local elected officials, we have an obligation to provide our constituents with constant communication on the actions of our state government, especially when it comes to our state's finances. This year, lawmakers and ...
|Bad Credit 2006-03-01
- People have always made fun of my name. In grade school, kids called me Maxwell House Coffee. Got plenty of good-natured jokes and jabs when the old TV comedy shows Get Smart (with Maxwell Smart) and ...
|Survivor's Hatch Tax Troubles 2005-09-14
- Richard Hatch, who won $1 million on the first season of the reality show Survivor, was indicted for failing to pay taxes on his winnings from the CBS show, Yahoo! News reported. Hatch faces 10 ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO