WINDY CITY TIMES
by Kate Sosin, Windy City Times
This article shared 2570 times since Wed Feb 22, 2012
"Bullying is unacceptable, and specifically with gay teens, it's just wrong. Everyone needs to realize that this is a major issue, and we need to do anything we can to help. I've heard so many of our gay fans speak about how one of my songs, 'Who I Am,' has inspired them. It's a song that I wrote in a moment of coming into my own as a man, discovering how my whole world was setting up as an adult. It was great to see people connect to that song in their own way, specifically bullied gay teens who were encouraged to be exactly who they are."Tween pop sensation Nick Jonas to the Advocate, Feb. issue.
"When I gave a girl a card, it was the worst, because I knew I had to do it in the most blank way possible, as if I was giving the card under doctors orders or under the gun or at least throw it at her as if to say, 'this is out of my hands.' Kids know when there's something about you that is different. They smell it and sense it and it sickens them because they recognize it in themselves and if they don't attack someone will soon do it to them. Bullying starts, as it is a form of self-hatred expressed outward, and since the cruelty towards ourselves we are capable of knows no bounds, it can be bad. Insanely so."Comedian Margaret Cho, to Huffington Post, Feb. 14
"And while Virginia Democrats work to provide a fair shot to young people across Virginia, Republicans in Richmond would rather spend their time defining which families should be allowed to adopt foster children. Let me tell you this: As the first Virginia governor to ban discrimination in state government based on sexual orientationand as a senator who stood up and voted to repeal the military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policythat is mean-spirited, and that is wrong. It is wrong to deny a foster child the opportunity to belong to a supportive, modern family simply because it is led by a same-sex couple in a loving and committed relationship."Virginia Sen. Mark Warner to The Washington Blade, Feb. 15.
"Where is the tolerance of someone having a belief structure that is based in nature, that is based in reason, that is based in faith…The intolerance of the left, the intolerance of the secular ideology, it is a religion on to itself, it is just not a biblical based religion. And it is the most intolerantjust like we say from the days of the atheists in the Soviet Union."Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum in Think Progress, Feb. 8.
This article shared 2570 times since Wed Feb 22, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Cleve Jones, founder of AIDS Memorial Quilt, honored with Lifetime of Commitment Award on World AIDS Day 2022-12-03|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA (Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2022) — The National AIDS Memorial marked World AIDS Day with a national observance at the 10-acre National AIDS Memorial Grove in San Francisco, honoring AIDS activist and ...
|Baton Show Lounge unveils new male burlesque 2022-11-23|
- On the evening of Nov. 17, Baton Show Lounge, 4713 N. Broadway, presented Burlesque Royale, a new male review featuring local and national talent. Produced by noted photographer Ramsey Prince, the sold-out show featured vocalists Danika ...
|Reports: Senate to vote on marriage equality law Nov. 16 2022-11-15|
- The U.S. Senate will vote on a measure enshrining marriage equality into law Wednesday, according to reports. Supporters of the measure, known as the Respect for Marriage Act, which aims to protect against an eventual repeal ...
|Gay man to head Chicago Latino Theater Alliance 2022-11-15|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced the appointment of Jorge Valdivia as its new executive director, according to the Lawndale News. Valdivia's previous position was director of performing arts at the National Museum of Mexic ...
|National AIDS Memorial names 2022-2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship recipients 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, California, Nov. 09, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The National AIDS Memorial has announced its 2022/2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders scholars, its largest and most diverse class ever, providing ...
|Three Red Stars called up to national teams 2022-10-31|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, Ill. (October 31, 2022) - Three Chicago Red Stars will join their national teams for international friendlies in November. Goalkeeper, Alyssa Naeher, and forward, Mallory Pugh, will join the ...
|'Out on the Trail' report shows LGBTQ+ candidates running in all 50 states 2022-10-26|
-- From a press release - Washington, DC — LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, released its 2022 Out on the Trail report, the only annual report on the number and diversity of ...
|16th Street Theater to close at the end of the year 2022-10-26|
- The board of Berwyn's 16th Street Theater announced that the award-winning, nationally acclaimed Equity theater company will close at the end of 2022. A statement read, "For 15 inspiring seasons, plus two years of the pandemic, ...
|Tatumn Milazzo, Mallory Pugh named to 2022 NWSL Best XI Teams 2022-10-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (October 25, 2022) - The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) released the list of NWSL players named to the 2022 NWSL Best XI First and Second Teams. Chicago Red Stars forward Mallory Pugh was named ...
|Fire FC goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina called to U.S. men's national team fitness workouts 2022-10-26|
- CHICAGO (Oct. 25, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC today announced that Homegrown goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina was called to the U.S. men's national team for a series of fitness workouts on Oct. 25-Nov. 5 in Dallas. Slonina ...
|GOP introduces bill some view as national version of Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' law 2022-10-21|
- Congressional Republicans introduced what some are calling a national version of Florida's Parental Rights in Education billalso called the "Don't Say Gay" measure, according to NBC News. On Oct. 18, U.S. Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana ...
|VIEWPOINT The cults of Jesus, Putin and Trump 2022-10-21|
- Originalist Christian nationalism. They say politics makes strange bedfellows. There is none stranger than the curious linking of Jesus to the cults of Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump in the faith and politics of an alarming ...
|LGBTQ+ groups go on ad blitz ahead of midterms 2022-10-20|
- National- and state-based LGBTQ groups the National LGBTQ Task Force, Equality Texas and Equality Florida are joining forces to make national as well as Texas- and Florida-based ad buys that highlight extremist attacks against the LGBTQ+ ...
|Chicago Red Stars' playoff run ends with 2-1 loss to San Diego 2022-10-17|
- In California, the Chicago Red Stars' seventh consecutive playoff campaign came to an early end after a 2-1 overtime loss to San Diego Wave FC in the quarterfinal round of the National Women's Soccer League playoffs ...
|Bears, Blackhawks both lose 2022-10-14|
- On Oct. 13 in front of a national audience that could watch the game on Prime Video, the Chicago Bears (2-4) fell at home to the Washington Commanders (2-4) by the low score of 12-7. After ...