WINDY CITY TIMES
||Quigley announces State Sen. Sara Feigenholtz as State of the Union Guest
--From a press release
This article shared 2024 times since Tue Feb 7, 2023
Washington, D.C. — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05) announced State Senator Sara Feigenholtz as his guest to President Joe Biden's State of the Union on Tuesday, February 7, 2023. Feigenholtz has represented the 6th district in the Illinois Senate since 2020 and previously served in the Illinois House of Representatives.
"Sara Feigenholtz has been a friend and colleague for decades. She is a fighter who has spent her time in public service committed to protecting women's reproductive freedom across Illinois," said Quigley. "It's imperative that leaders in Washington, D.C. are aligned with local leaders so the policies we pursue at both levels work together to meet the needs of our constituents. I've been proud to work alongside Sara during our time in elected office and, as we navigate a post-Roe America, I look forward to working closely with her to ensure Illinois continues to be a safe haven for access to abortion and contraception."
Throughout her career, Feigenholtz has been a tireless advocate for health care affordability and access. In 2017, she sponsored House Bill 40 in the 100th General Assembly to protect abortion access in Illinois, ensuring that choice remains the law of the land in the state despite the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade. Feigenholtz also passed the affordable care act in Illinois, enabling thousands of uninsured and underinsured people to have access to healthcare in the state.
This article shared 2024 times since Tue Feb 7, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Google Doodle, drag laureate, Nebraska bill, NYC AIDS Walk 2023-05-26|
- D.C. poet/activist/journalist Ivy Young passed away at age 75, per a press release. Among other things, Young worked at Chicago's VISTA; the Center for Black Education and Drum and Spear Book Store in D.C.; the ...
|State Rep. Kelly Cassidy denounces violent acts stemming from political speech 2023-05-26|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — State Rep. Kelly Cassidy, D-Chicago, along with members of the House Dobbs Working Group responded to increasing acts of violence and threats stemming from political attacks on reproductive rights and the LGBTQ community ...
|Illinois Healthcare Cultural Competency Coalition applauds passage of HB 2450 2023-05-25|
--From a press release - The Illinois Healthcare Cultural Competency Coalition applauds passage by the Illinois General Assembly of legislation that will ensure cultural competency is part of continuing medical education for a range of healthcare providers in Illinois. "We are ...
|Board of Commissioners unanimously passes Bodily Autonomy Ordinance Amendment with support of Equality Illinois, ACLU Illinois 2023-05-25|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — May 25th 2023 — Today, the Cook County Board of Commissioners unanimously passed an amendment to the Human Rights Ordinance ensuring the protection of all individual's right to their own bodily autonomy. The ...
|Louisiana Senate committee kills anti-trans bill aimed at minors 2023-05-24|
- The Louisiana Senate Health & Welfare Committee has stopped an anti-trans bill aimed at minors, WBRZ News 2 in Baton Rouge has reported. Republican committee chairman Fred Mills joined Democrats on May 24 to kill Louisiana House Bill 648—a bill tha ...
|HRC condemns Ohio state senate for passing education censorship bill 2023-05-24|
--From a press release - Columbus, Ohio — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — condemned the Ohio State Senate for passing ...
|Target removes some Pride merchandise after receiving threats 2023-05-24|
- Ahead of Pride Month (June), Target is pulling some of its LGBTQ+ merchandise after facing "threats" and backlash from customers, Politico reported. Target's website features hundreds of items as part of its Pride Collection but will ...
|GLAAD, Equality Florida release resource of DeSantis' record of anti-LGBTQ+ info, actions 2023-05-23|
--From a press release - (Tuesday, May 23, 2023) GLAAD and Equality Florida released the LGBTQ record of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, an ongoing documentation of DeSantis' policies and rhetoric targeting LGBTQ people and issues. Read the DeSantis LGBTQ record on ...
|Advocates applaud Illinois General Assembly passage of House Bill 1286 for gender-neutral multiple-occupancy restrooms 2023-05-19|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Advocates celebrated passage by the Illinois General Assembly of House Bill 1286, legislation that will reduce barriers for businesses serving their communities and customers by allowing for the ...
|Gay lawyer appointed as Cook County judge 2023-05-19|
- On May 18, Justice Joy V. Cunningham and the Illinois Supreme Court announced the appointment of Edward J. Underhill as an at-large Cook County Circuit judge, according to a press release. Underhill was appointed to fill ...
|HB 1286 would allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms, Chicago groups respond 2023-05-19|
--From a press release - Statement from AIDS Foundation Chicago, Equality Illinois, and Pride Action Tank regarding HB 1286 to allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms: We applaud the Illinois Senate for passing HB 1286 and urge the Illinois House to act expeditiously ...
|NATIONAL DHS violence report, queer Democratic club, trans influencer dies, vigil, GLSEN Awards 2023-05-19|
- The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said that threats of violence against the LGBTQ+ community are increasing—and intensifying, according to ABC News. "These issues include actions linked to drag-themed events ...
|General Assembly moves closer to passing optional all-gender bathroom bill 2023-05-19|
- On May 18, the Illinois Senate passed an amended version of a bill that would allow businesses and public institutions to provide multi-occupant all-gender bathrooms if they so choose, The Daily Herald reported. House Bill 1286 ...
|White House releases statement by President Biden on International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, and Transphobia 2023-05-18|
--From a press release - From the White House, May 17, 2023/B> Everyone is entitled to be treated with dignity and equalityno matter whom they love, or how they identify. On the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, and Transphobia, we reaffirm ...
|Abortion news: North Carolina, Montana, Nancy Pelosi 2023-05-17|
- On May 16, North Carolina's GOP-led General Assembly moved to ban most abortions after 12 weeks, overriding a veto from Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper. The state House voted 72-48, along party lines, hours after the state ...