WINDY CITY TIMES
||Queer-owned spots Nobody's Darling and Big Jones among James Beard nominees
This article shared 2235 times since Thu Feb 24, 2022
The queer-owned Andersonville spots Nobody's Darling and Big Jones are among the Chicago-area semifinalists for the 2022 James Beard Foundation Awards.
Nobody's Darling is a semifinalist for Outstanding Bar Program. Big Jones' Paul Fehribach is up for Best Chef: Great Lakes.
Some of the other area contenders include Parachute (Outstanding Restaurant); Maya-Camille Broussard, of Justice of the Pies (Outstanding Baker); Noah Sandoval, of Oriole (Best Chef: Great Lakes); Kasama (Best New Restaurant); and Erick Williams, of Virtue Restaurant & Bar (Best Chef: Great Lakes).
According to The Chicago Tribune, past winners from Chicago include some of the city's most acclaimed restaurants and chefs, such as Rick Bayless' Topolobampo, pastry chef Mindy Segal, the late Charlie Trotter, the now-closed Blackbird, Alinea, Next and The Violet Hour.
The James Beard Awards will take place in Chicago through 2027. This year, the ceremony will be June 13 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
This article shared 2235 times since Thu Feb 24, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SAVOR Coco Pazzo: Lunch at a longtime Italian favorite 2022-05-13|
- The River North spot Coco Pazzo, 300 W. Hubbard St., is one of those spots I've always wanted to visit. I had heard some people rave about the restaurant but, for some reason, I never got around to visiting this Tuscan ...
|Queer college salutatorian plans to help community through food 2022-05-10|
- Back in March, Jose Cueva got an unexpected phone call from the president of Kennedy-King College: Cueva's perfect 4.0 GPA meant he would be graduating as salutatorian. "I was in shock; I wasn't expecting that," Cueva ...
|SAVOR Cafe Sophie: Chef Grant talks about his European getaway in the Gold Coast 2022-05-06|
- Chef Danny Grant wants to take Chicagoans (and visitors) to Europe—via his latest spot, Cafe Sophie, which opened April 14. Named after Grant's aunt, Cafe Sophie (a 2,500-square-foot space at 847 N. State St., in the ...
|Two Whole Foods stores to close; Lightfoot, Hunter respond 2022-04-30|
- Whole Foods is closing two Chicago storesincluding one it opened on the South Side six years ago amid promises to end the food desert in that area, Block Club Chicago reported. The Englewood spot and a ...
|Chicago part of Taco Bell Drag Brunch tour 2022-04-29|
- Starting next month, Taco Bell is launching the Taco Bell Drag Bruncha five-stop restaurant tour that aims to celebrate drag culture and the LGBTQ+ community, Food and Wine noted. Taking place at five Taco Bell Cantina ...
|The Andersonville Wine Walk returns for its 16th year on May 15 2022-04-23|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (April 21, 2022) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC), in partnership with In Fine Spirits, is pleased to welcome back its annual Andersonville Wine Walk, an afternoon of ...
|Andersonville Farmers Market returns May 11 - Oct. 19 2022-04-15|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (April 14, 2022) — The Andersonville Farmers Market (AFM) is pleased to return for its 13th season featuring 30 vendors on Wednesdays from 3 — 7 pm from May 11 — October 19, 2022 on ...
|First COVID breath test authorized 2022-04-15|
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized the first COVID-19 test that uses breath samples, according to NBC News. The InspectIR COVID-19 Breathalyzer test has to be done by a trained operator, but the FDA said ...
|Out LondonHouse Executive Chef Liz Sweeney talks industry, personal journey 2022-04-14|
- During a recent conversation with Windy City Times, LondonHouse Executive Chef Liz Sweeney revealed several aspects of herselfall coming together to show a complex and open individual. For example, she was quick to flash a smile ...
|LGBT POCs 3X more likely than white non-LGBTs to have faced food insufficiency during pandemic 2022-04-14|
-- From a press release - During the pandemic, an estimated 13% of LGBT adults in the U.S. reported not having enough to eat in the past week, compared to 8% of non-LGBT adults, according to a new report by the Williams ...
|SAVOR Michelin-starred restaurants; 'Study of Spring' 2022-04-06|
- Four Chicago restaurants were named first-time recipients of Michelin stars, according to The Chicago Tribune. Those spots are the French-inflected Claudia (with items like squid-ink madeleines), artsy restaurant Esme, the ...
|SAVOR The Lunchroom at SPACE 519: A chic cafe in Streeterville 2022-04-05|
- It turns out that some of the city's best dining spots are inside storesseriously. There are long-established places like The Walnut Room at Macy's, but there are many others, such as Eataly and Restoration Hardware's Eat: ...
|SAVOR The Kitchen American Bistro: Brunch by the river 2022-03-25|
- Brunch in Chicago has almost become an institution unto itself. Now that things are slowly returning to "normal," people are emerging from their homesand some are just starting to realize the potentially overwhelming number of brunch ...
|SAVOR Adorn: One of the best restaurants you'll hit this year 2022-03-22|
- In 2021, visiting Adorn Bar & Restaurant (in the Four Seasons, at 120 E. Delaware Pl.) were among the high points in what was a year of turbulence, to say the least. A recent visit, however, ...
|Nobody's Darling named James Beard Award finalist 2022-03-16|
- A month after being named a Chicago-area semifinalist for the 2022 James Beard Foundation Awards, the Black- and queer-owned spot Nobody's Darling has been named a finalist for Outstanding Bar Program. Nobody's Darling will compete against ...