WINDY CITY TIMES
||Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality Holds Fundraiser in Pilsen May 14
From a press release
This article shared 1379 times since Wed May 11, 2016
Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality ( QYES ) will be hosting its first fundraising event 5-7 p.m. at Lincoln United Methodist Church located at 2242 S. Damen May 14.
The event will be emceed by the QYES Youth Leader Jasean Purdis who has donated his birthday at the fundraiser. There will be storying telling by youth, dance performance by Healthy Hood Chicago Teen Dance Group and Live Word Art. A light dinner will be served. There is a $10 suggested donation; 100% of the proceeds will go directly to programming.
To purchase tickets or make a tax deductible donation go to www.eventbrite.com/e/jaseans-birthday-party-fundraiser-for-qyes-tickets-25009821048 .
Queer Youth Exploring Spirituality ( QYES ) is a youth program for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning ( LGBTQ ) and ally youths ages 16-21 who want to explore spirituality. Not a religious group but a spiritual group. We exist to show young people that they are beautiful and loved while connecting them to the strength of spirituality. It was founded in 2013 at Wesley United Methodist Church of Cicero, IL. In 2016, it moved to Lincoln United Methodist Church of Chicago, IL in the Pilsen neighborhood. The main program is an annual summer retreat. Last year most of our youth were from a shelter for LGBT youth experiencing homelessness, many were in foster care and most were rejected by their families because of how they identified. Our goal is to help LGBT youth use spirituality to shield themselves against the haters of the world, prevent suicide and help youth to love and celebrate themselves. You can find more information about QYES at www.facebook.com/QYESChicagoland
This article shared 1379 times since Wed May 11, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Texas' anti-trans youth sports law goes into effect 2022-01-18|
- A new Texas law bars transgender student athletes from competing on school sports teams that align with their gender identity, Houston Public Media reported. House Bill 25 is one of several laws that went into effect ...
|Chicago Public Schools to reopen Jan. 12 2022-01-11|
- Following a deadlock that spanned four school days, the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) approved a proposal for Chicago Public Schools (CPS) to resume in-person classes Wed., Jan. 12, The Chicago Tribune reported. The delegates also voted ...
|LGBTQ+ and BIPOC Youth Led Study on Youth and Young Adult COVID-19 Vaccination Finds Surprising Results 2022-01-10|
From a news release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County in partnership with El Centro AMISTAD and Unwoven Ventures with the leadership of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) youth created ...
|Laws targeting TGNC youth already proposed in several states 2022-01-08|
- In the first week of 2022, officials in at least seven states have already proposed laws that would limit the rights of transgender and non-binary youth, The Hill reported. Legislators in Arizona, Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, Oklahoma, ...
|Monks separate from school after it hires coach in same-sex marriage 2022-01-05|
- The group of Benedictine monks governing Lisle's Benet Academy announced it will cut ties with the school after the hiring of a lacrosse coach who is in a same-sex marriage, according to Naperville News 17. Benet ...
|NATIONAL New Jersey, Audre Lorde, LGBTQ book, youth items 2021-12-19|
- In the face of growing anxiety over the Supreme Court's conservative bent, state lawmakers in New Jersey are moving to pass marriage-equality legislation, Gay City News reported. According to Garden State Equality, the New Jersey Assembly's ...
|Pritzker signs bill repealing Parental Notification Act 2021-12-17|
- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker has signed House Bill 370, which repeals the Parental Notification Act (PNA). According to a press release from his office, "Rescinding the PNA ensures that while a pregnant minor can choose to ...
|NBJC, for 18th anniversary, gives micro-grants to Black LGBTQ+/SGL Youth-serving groups 2021-12-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — In celebration of the 18th anniversary since its founding, the National Black Justice Coalition will provide tens of thousands of microgrants to youth-serving organizations supporting Black LGBTQ+ ...
|LGBTQ+ youth advocates call for action after increased bullying reports 2021-11-24|
- Officials from LGBTQ+-advocacy organizations Equality Illinois, Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Rainbow Cafe and Youth Outlook announced a sharp increase in the number of bullying incidents directed against LGBTQ+ students across ...
|CPS staffers fired in wake of Marine Leadership Academy scandal 2021-11-21|
- Chicago Public Schools (CPS) officials announced that 12 employees at Marine Leadership Academy and a school volunteer either committed or covered up sexual misconduct that dates back five years, The Chicago Tribune reported. Ten adults have ...
|IL General Assembly LGBTQ Caucus condemns Proud Boys led censorship in Downers Grove 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - The five openly LGBTQ members of the Illinois General Assembly today call on Downers Grove District 99 to protect LGBTQ youth in their community from hate and censorship by immediately rejecting calls to censor ...
|Chicago Public Schools principal fosters social justice, safe space for LGBTQ+ students 2021-11-18|
- When Jas Thurmond became principal of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Academy of Social Justice in 2016, the K-8 school had only recently been renamed. That was an important change, Thurmond said, but as she stepped ...
|"Safe Schools For All" to help students take action against bullying 2021-11-17|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — As schools and school districts across the country face hostile protests of LGBTQI+ inclusive education, students who are experiencing discrimination, bullying and harassment based on their sexual orientation ...
|Downers Grove parents complain about LGBTQ books 2021-11-16|
- Continuing a battle that's been taking place in several other states, parents in the Chicago suburb of Downers Grove say they want publications they call "pornography" removed from the high schools' libraries, according to WGN-TV. At ...
|Northwestern University researchers present data on COVID-19 impacts on minoritized youth 2021-11-16|
- Two Northwestern University-affiliated researchers presented a webinar Nov.9 about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on youth in minoritized communities in the United States, among them youths in the LGBTQ+ community. The webinar was part of ...