||Quality of Life Bill Sails Through General Assembly
This article shared 2850 times since Sun Jul 1, 2007
Senate Bill 774, known as the 'Quality of Life' bill, has passed both houses. On May 31, it passed through the state House by a 69-44 vote after passing through the Senate on May 9 by a vote of 37-13.
The measure will create a scratch-off lottery game that will ultimately benefit HIV/AIDS prevention and education efforts. All the revenue from the game will be put into the Quality of Life Endowment Fund. The Illinois Department of Public Health will use the funds for HIV/AIDS prevention education; in addition, monies will be allocated to organizations throughout the state that serve communities that are disproportionately affected by the disease.
Benny Montgomery, Jr., and Michael O' Connor, members of the organization known as The Coalition for the Quality of Life, initially brought the idea for the bill to State Rep. Karen Yarbrough, D-7th District.
This article shared 2850 times since Sun Jul 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Canada's House of Commons unanimously votes to ban conversion therapy 2021-12-02|
- Canada's House of Commons voted unanimously to ban so-called LGBT conversion therapy, the BBC reported. The legislation would make it illegal to have a child undergo the practice or have anyone unwillingly undergo it. Conversion therapywhich ...
|AIDS Garden Chicago supporters, CDPH official commemorate World AIDS Day with event 2021-12-01|
- AIDS Garden Chicago supporters and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) commemorated the 34th annual World AIDS Day on Dec. 1 at the Belmont Yacht Club with a sneak preview of the garden. The 2.5-acre ...
|Lambda Legal to Justice Kavanaugh: Not in our name 2021-12-01|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — This morning, the United States Supreme Court heard oral arguments in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, a case that has the potential to directly or effectively overturn landmark precedent protecting the right ...
|CDC: Tougher restrictions set in response to new COVID variant 2021-12-01|
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that the United States is moving to require that all air travelers entering the country show a negative COVID-19 test performed within one day of departure in ...
|COVID Two states and territory come off Chicago's travel advisory 2021-11-30|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) removed two states and Guam from its weekly COVID-19 Travel Advisory on Nov. 30. No new states were added to the advisory, which now stands at 38 states. California, ...
|HRC encourages LGBTQ+ people to sign up for health insurance plans 2021-11-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is encouraging LGBTQ+ people to sign up for health insurance as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid's Services (CMS) kicks off its LGBTQ+ Theme Week (Nov. 28 - ...
|Five Worth Finding: World AIDS Day, 'Benedetta,' books, wine in a can 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day event at Belmont Harbor: The Chicago Parks Foundation will hold a World AIDS Day event on Dec. 1, 9-10:30 a.m., at the Belmont Harbor Yacht Club. Antonio King, LGBTQ health and outreach liaison ...
|New COVID variant discovered in South Africa 2021-11-26|
- Global authorities reacted with alarm to a new coronavirus variant detected in South Africa, with the European Union and Britain among those tightening border controls as scientists tried to find out if the mutation was vaccine-resistant, ...
|BIPOC LGBTQ+-led orgs and spaces adapt to continued effects of COVID-19 2021-11-25|
- s the world continues to grapple with the lasting effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, some BIPOC LGBTQ+-led bars and community-building organizations have adapted by implementing increased safety protocols and strengthening ...
|COVID Chicago's travel advisory back up to 40 states and one territory 2021-11-24|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) added two states to its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory on Nov. 23. The advisory stands at 40 states and one territory. Connecticut, whose daily COVID Case rate per 100,000 ...
|WORLD HIV case, Ireland items, Kim Petras, actress' illness 2021-11-21|
- A woman in Argentina has become only the second documented person whose own immune system may have cured her of HIV, NBC News noted. Researchers have dubbed the 30-year-old mother, who was first diagnosed with HIV ...
|COVID U.S. opens boosters for all adults 2021-11-20|
- On Nov. 19, the United States, through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), allowed COVID-19 booster shots for all adults and took the extra step of urging people 50 and older to seek one, ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...
|LGBTQ+ equality in nine Illinois municipalities detailed in Human Rights Campaign Index 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, in partnership with The ...
|COVID Chicago's travel advisory down to 38 states, one territory 2021-11-17|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) removed three states and returned one to its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory on Nov. 16. The advisory stands at 38 states and one territory. Alabama, Mississippi and Tennesseeall of ...