WINDY CITY TIMES
by Rex Wockner
This article shared 2757 times since Wed Jun 13, 2007
'I've been hearing from folks: 'Well, the marriage bill will get to the governor's desk, but we know he's going to veto it. He has already told us that.' No. He doesn't get a pass. [ W ] e must let him know he doesn't get off easy. If he's going to veto this bill a second time, he's going to feel some pain.' — Openly gay California Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, as quoted by San Diego's Gay & Lesbian Times, May 3. The California Legislature is the only U.S. legislature ever to have passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage, in 2005, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed it.
'The nation's commitment to human rights requires that lawmakers revisit 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' the current policy that prevents lesbians, gays and bisexuals from serving openly in our armed forces. ... 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' is the only law in America today that regulates a group of citizens then prohibits them from identifying themselves and speaking up on their own behalf. Gay soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines are unable to tell their Member of Congress or their commander that the policy is an abject failure and they are living proof because they will face discharge. Those who defend our liberties and freedoms deserve better.' — Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter in a May 15 public statement.
'Older people get laid a lot more than younger people think—we're a lot more randy than younger people think we should be. If younger people think about us at all, they'll at best begrudgingly admit that we can have lovers—long-term lovers, mind you, not five-times-a-week trade—but only on condition that they should be other old people. Well, have I got news for them.' — Gay author Edmund White to Britain's Gay Times magazine, May issue.
'We could sit here with any number of policemen and doctors and they would all tell you if everybody who had a dependence on alcohol changed their mind and had a dependence on weed, the world would be a much easier place to live in. Nobody ever came home stoned and beat up their wife.' — Gay singer George Michael in an appearance on Michael Parkinson's talk show on the British network ITV, May 19.
'Tempests of pique blew up from chi-chi gay circles in California for my daring [ 10 years ago ] to question the way Anne Heche had gotten her claws into Ellen DeGeneres. But I was right as rain, wasn't I? Ellen seems much better matched these days with Portia de Rossi, who commendably hasn't tried to upstage her.' — Author and academic Camille Paglia writing at Salon.com, May 9.
'I appreciate the concern expressed by many about why my arm is in a sling. In order to avoid having to repeat the same conversation, I am sending out this Dear Colleague. I ruptured a tendon in my left arm using a curling machine in a gym, and I had it surgically repaired yesterday at Bethesda Naval Hospital. I'll be using the sling for a week or two, but I feel fine. Thanks for not asking.' — Gay U.S. Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., in a May 15 letter to fellow members of Congress.
—Assistance: Bill Kelley
This article shared 2757 times since Wed Jun 13, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
- "The problem is that today, as I write this, young men and women whose behaviors, choices or attitudes are not deemed 'man enough' or 'normal' are being subjected to all kinds of abuse from verbal to ...
- "Chalk it up to progress that some celebrities are now embarrassed to be thought of as having been in the closet, which increasingly seems like a relic from the last century (even as it still endures ...
- "[L]et us not forget about what it meant when my husband appointed those two magnificent Supreme Court justices. And for the first time in history, our daughters and our sons watched three women take their seat ...
- "The heart has reasons that reason does not know. When Cupid's arrow strikes [ whether it's opposite-sex couples, racially mixed couples, or same-sex couples ] , it's a feeling that can't be denied. Love in all ...
- "But now, the remarkable new reality for Obama in this election is that supporting marriage equality is smart politics. A majority of independents and young voters already favor equal marriage rights. These are important voting blocks, ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "[N]ot one of the 26 new [TV] series scheduled by Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC has even one black lead or major supporting player. ... But when you count both new and returning series, there will ...
|The grapevine 2001-05-09|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "IT'S DIFFICULT to be a friend or family member if I don't know the man." ... Gay author Gore Vidal, on being asked by Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh to be one of his "friend" witnesses ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "I DON'T live my life to be a role model. I realize that being open about my relationship has put me in that position, but I'm not going to not break up because I'm a role model." — Singer Melissa Etheridge ...
|The grapevine 2001-04-04|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "If I weren't the most famous lesbian in the world, no one would notice. But everyone was watching us like we were the only lesbians on the planet. That alone made being together difficult. ... We ...
|The Grapevine 2001-03-07|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "The question must be asked: after two decades of sunken faces on the evening news, political protests during rush-hour traffic, AIDS quilts, recriminations, free condoms and Marisol and Julio's drama played out in a [New York ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "Almodovar, who is one of my best friends, is a recognized homosexual, and I never had a problem. To discuss this kind of thing at the end of the millennium is kind of absurd. I've been saying this for five years: ...
|The Grapevine 2000-10-11|
- "In 1968 the Vietnam War was the main target of [ Democratic convention ] protesters. This year's demonstrations showcased a dazzling myriad of issues, including reproductive rights, child support, corporate ...
|The Grapevine 2000-09-27|
- "John Paulk was a poster boy for the ex-gay movement. ... In 1998 he and his wife, an 'ex-lesbian,' appeared on Newsweek's cover to illustrate a story about the controversial movement, which is disavowed by psychiatric ...
- "Everyone says to me, 'Your mother being who she is, it must have been easy [ coming out to her ] .' But she had more difficulty with it than my dad." — Christopher Rice, 22, son of novelist Anne Rice, ...
- "WILL ONE of you old queens please bring this old queen a large gin and tonic." — What England's Queen Mother reportedly says sometimes at midmorning to "a lot of elderly screamers on her staff at ...