WINDY CITY TIMES
||Pro-trans press conference abruptly ends after another group joins event
by Tim Carroll
This article shared 2031 times since Tue Mar 29, 2022
In a show of support for the trans+ community, Equality Illinois and a coalition of other local/state organizations held a press conference March 28 at Chicago Federal Plazabut it was abruptly shortened because of the presence of a previously invited group.
During the event, Equality Illinois Deputy Director Mony Ruiz-Velasco said, "We are here to say we support LGBTQ communities, that we will be visible and present and seen. We want [all communities], especially young people, to know that they are seen and supported and loved."
Ruiz-Velasco then talked about what Equality Illinois is doing, especially on the legislative front: "We have three different actions we are calling for today. We have two bills currently pending at the [Illinois] State House that will remove barriers for trans community membersone will remove barriers for folks who want to change their name (HB 2542) and the other removes barriers for changing gender markers on birth certificates (HB 9).
"And we also have our National Trans Day of Visibility at the end of this week on Thursday [March 31]. "
Stephanie Skoraof the South Side, trans-led organization Brave Space Alliance, which is hosting the March 31 eventprovided details: "We're having a rally/press conference of our own and a community healing space and vigil for Tee Tee Labelle, Elise Malary and all the trans people who have been lost to trans-antagonistic violence this year, on [March 31] at Daley Plaza."
Then, while Life Is Work founder Zahara Bassett spoke to the crowd, a group from Ex-Cons For Community & Social Change interrupted the press conference and drowned out the press conference speakers by using a bullhorn. After about 15 minutes of disruption, about 30 Chicago police officers arrived and separated the two groups. For the safety of the community, Ruiz-Velasco canceled the rest of the press conference.
This article shared 2031 times since Tue Mar 29, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Bill would prohibit discrimination in the military, protect trans service members 2023-04-01|
--From a press release, American Veterans for Equal Rights - Washington, D.C. — Congresswoman Sara Jacobs (CA-51) introduced legislation today that would prohibit discrimination in the military and protect transgender service members. The Ensuring Military Readiness Not Discrimination Act, commonly ...
|WORLD Grindr in Egypt, police report, queer tango, Human Rights Watch, Gay Games 2023-03-31|
- Dating app Grindr is warning its users in Egypt that police are allegedly using fake accounts to entrap those seeking dates on the platform, after a spike in recent arrests of LGBTQ+ people, MSN noted via ...
|NATIONAL Trans Health Equity Act, financial report, male model dies, book news 2023-03-31|
- In Maryland, both chambers of the Maryland General Assembly passed The Trans Health Equity Act, which would require state Medicaid to cover gender-affirming care and procedures for transgender patients, The Baltimore Banner reported. The bill is ...
|Biden declares March 31 as the Transgender Day of Visibility 2023-03-31|
- President Joe Biden issued a statement proclaiming Friday, March 31, as the Transgender Day of Visibility. He said, "Transgender Day of Visibility celebrates the joy, strength, and absolute courage of some of the bravest people I ...
|GLAD statement: Order by federal judge in Texas stands to increase HIV transmission 2023-03-30|
--From a press release - Today a federal judge in Texas issued an order in Braidwood v. Becerra blocking a requirement under the Affordable Care Act that all preventive healthcare services given an A or B rating by United States Preventive ...
|Trans boxer wins first match in four years 2023-03-30|
- Trans boxer Patricio Manuel beat super featherweight Hien Hyunh in The Pyramid at Long Beach State University on March 18 in his first match since December 2018, per Outsports. By the fourth round, Manuel had boosted ...
|Kentucky legislators override governor's veto to push anti-trans youth bill 2023-03-30|
- On March 29, Republican lawmakers in Kentucky overturned Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear's veto of a bill to ban transgender youths from gender-affirming healthcare and restrict which toilets they use in public schools, media outlets reported. Both ...
|Biden appoints Laura Ricketts to Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition 2023-03-27|
- President Joe Biden has appointed Laura Rickettsthe lesbian co-owner of the Chicago Cubs, board chair of Chicago Cubs Charities and board chair of LPAC, which works to elect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer women and ...
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner 2023-03-26|
- On March 25, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) hosted its Los Angeles dinner at the JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVEand honored Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated trans actress Michaela Jae Rodriguez, per a press release. Human ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis 2023-03-25|
- Venezuela's Supreme Court annulled a controversial part of the military justice code that had criminalized same-sex relations within the armed forces, the outlet Punch noted. The court annulled the provision, which had provided for a penalty ...
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor 2023-03-25|
- In Indiana, approximately 100 students from the Center For Inquiry School 27 held a walk-out to protest the state's "Don't Say Gay" bill, which would restrict how teachers are able to discuss sexual orientation or gender ...
|Iowa, Georgia ban medical treatment for trans minors 2023-03-24|
- Two more states have enacted laws that prohibit medical treatment for transgender minors. On March 22, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed two bills into law that affect transgender minors in the state, NBC News reported. Senate ...
|World Athletics Council: Trans women banned from track-and-field competition 2023-03-24|
- The World Athletics Council has barred transgender women from competing in elite female competitions if they have gone through male puberty, ESPN reported. Organization president Sebastian Coe said at a press conference that the decision was ...
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|US Bishops' statement limits trans health care in Catholic health care facilities, DignityUSA responds 2023-03-22|
--From a DignityUSA press release - On March 20, 2023, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on Doctrine released a policy statement on how Catholic medical institutions should treat transgender and nonbinary people. Entitled "Doctrinal Note on the Moral Limits to ...