WINDY CITY TIMES
||Pride parade gets new name in city listings
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 255 times since Mon Feb 27, 2017
Chicago's 2017 Pride Parade has a new official name. The event will be listed with the city as the "LGBTQ Pride Parade," according to permit applications obtained by the Crime in Wrigleyville + Boystown blog, which broke the story on Feb. 26.
But parade organizer Richard Pfeiffer told Windy City Times that the parade will still be referred to by organizers and in most publicity materials as the "Chicago Pride Parade," as in previous years. The permit-application name is the same name used for official city event listings; in previous years the event has been listed as the "Gay and Lesbian Pride Parade" so it can be more easily differentiated from other, unrelated events with "pride" in their name.
The switch this year to "LGBTQ" came to better reflect current terminology, Pfeiffer said, adding, "Like many cities, we call our parade 'the pride parade' and it's up to our entries to determine in their signage who they are. The only change, really, is on the permit, which had 'gay and lesbian' on it, and we just decided to update it there."
Parade entries will again be capped at 150 entries. "Entry forms have been going out, and we're asking people to get them in ASAP," Pfeiffer noted. "We have a long, long waiting list."
Crime in Wrigleyville + Boystown's article is at bit.ly/2l62Zu4 .
This article shared 255 times since Mon Feb 27, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SPORTS Chicago Red Stars power past Orlando 1-0 2021-10-14|
- The Chicago Red Stars, behind an early Kealia Watt goal and a clean sheet from Cassie Miller, defeated the Orlando Pride at home (Bridgeview's SeatGeek Stadium) Oct. 13 by a score of 1-0. During the game's ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Coming Out for LGBTQ+ History 2021-10-11|
- October 11th is National Coming Out Day, a day established in 1988 by members of the LGBTQ+ community to encourage people to stop hiding and be open about their identity. Coming out increases visibility of the ...
|Pride Fest sees rainbows over rain 2021-10-05|
- After last year's COVID-related cancellation, the LGBTQ+-focused outdoor affair Pride Fest returned to Lake View after a delay of a few months, as it usually takes place in June. An additional full day was added to ...
|Urban Village Church hosting drag worship service, Pride prom Oct. 10 2021-10-04|
- On Sunday, Oct. 10, Urban Village Church (UVC) will host a drag worship service at its Wicker Park site, 1012 N. Noble St. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. (CST) with performances from local drag artists, including ...
|SPORTS Chicago White Sox hold Pride Night 2021-10-04|
- On Sept. 29, the Chicago White Sox held Pride Night. LGBTQ+ activist Gary Chichester threw the first pitch of the gamewhich featured the White Sox taking on the Cincinnati Redsat Guaranteed Rate field. BMO Harris invited ...
|WORLD Marches, world leaders, Swiss marriage, soccer match 2021-09-26|
- Thousands of people including soldiers and diplomats marched peacefully through the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in an annual Pride parade despite some opposition to an event called off last year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Reuters ...
|Naper Pride hosts inaugural Pride fest 2021-09-16|
- Naper Pride held its inaugural pride fest event, "Coming Together, One Community—One Naperville," on Sept. 11-12 in Naperville. Incidentally, "Coming Together, One Community—One Naperville" was also Naper Pride's organizational philosoph ...
|OneWheaton to mark 10th Homecoming Weekend on Oct. 8-9 2021-09-15|
- OneWheaton—a group of LGBTQA alumni and students of Wheaton College—will mark its 10th annual Homecoming Weekend with virtual activities on Oct. 8-9. On Oct. 8, at 6 p.m., there will be an LGBTQIA Storytelling Hour. Attendees ...
|Pride Fest will extend to Oct. 3; headliners include Kristine W and Mya 2021-09-12|
- Mya, Shangela, VINCINT, Crystal Waters, Kristine W, Brooke Eden and St. Panther are among the headliners for Chicago Pride Fest now taking place over three days, Oct. 1-3, in Chicago's LGBTQ+ landmark Northalsted/Lake View district. The ...
|SPORTS Blackhawks tickets available Sept. 14; Pride Night on April 12 2021-09-09|
- The Chicago Blackhawks announced that single-game tickets for the team's 2021-22 regular season at the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St., will go on sale to the general public on Tuesday, Sept. 14 at 12 p.m. ...
|Naper Pride set to host inaugural Pride fest 2021-09-04|
- Naper Pride will hold its inaugural pride fest event, "Coming Together, One CommunityOne Naperville," on Sept. 11-12. Incidentally, "Coming Together, One CommunityOne Naperville" is also Naper Pride's organizational philosophy of ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Opinion: The parade must go on 2021-09-02|
- I am responding to the letter from Tim Frye, the current 2021 coordinator of Chicago's Pride Parade, about the cancellation of the event that was scheduled for Oct. 3. I agree that this decision takes in ...
|Chicago Pride Parade cancelled 2021-09-01|
--From a press release - The following statement was sent from Pride Chicago on the cancellation of this year's Chicago Pride Parade: We did not want to be sending this letter. Earlier this year, we decided that the parade might have ...
|NATIONAL Marsha P. Johnson, Utah, five-year study, Pride fests cancelled 2021-08-29|
- In New York City, visitors to Christopher Park have been greeted by the bust of the late trans activist Marsha P. Johnson, ActionNewsNow.com reported. The bust was erected on what would have been Jonhson's 76th birthdayand ...