WINDY CITY TIMES
||Pride in the Pews panel event covers the Black church and LGBTQ+ people
This article shared 1331 times since Wed Jul 13, 2022
The Pride in the Pews event "'Don't Ask, Don't Tell': The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community" took place July 7 at First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, 6400 S. Kimbark Ave.
Among other topics, the panel discussed the challenges and opportunities regarding bridge-building between the Black Church and the LGBTQ+ community.
According to Pride in the Pews founder Don Abram, M.Div., theologians, pastors and activists explored the ways in which Black churches can advance LGBTQ+ inclusion in the Black Church and in the public square through activism.
Guest panelists included Pastor Stephen Thurston (executive pastor of Salem Baptist Church of Chicago), Bishop Keith Howell McQueen (global pastor of Powerhouse Church), Channyn Parker (director of strategic partnerships at Howard Brown Health) and Abram.
This article shared 1331 times since Wed Jul 13, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pope says being gay no crime, cites anti-LGBTQ laws in 70 countries. LGBTQ leaders respond 2023-01-25|
--From press releases - (January 25, 2023) — Pope Francis called laws that criminalize same-sex relationships "unjust," stating that "being homosexual is not a crime" in an interview with the Associated Press today. The Pope also called for the Roman ...
|Letter to the Editor: Pope Benedict XVI passes away 2023-01-02|
- The Rainbow Sash Movement mourns the passing of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI on Dec. 31 in the Vatican. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, known most recently as the pontiff who renounced the papacy—but who was situated squarely ...
|Dignity USA: LGBTQ+ Catholics recall Pope Benedict XVI's reign as causing LGBTQ+s tremendous damage 2022-12-31|
-- From a press release - Dec. 31, 2022. The passing of former Pope Benedict XVI "marks what is, hopefully, the end of a long, painful era for LGBTQIA+ Catholics, our families, and the entire church," said Marianne Duddy-Burke, Executive Director of ...
|Billy Masters: Redford won't follow Babs back to the well, and all the dish you need 2022-12-19|
- "These gays — they're trying to murder me!" — Jennifer Coolidge's character, Tanya, on The White Lotus finale. Here's a headline that grabbed me: "Florida man busted for public sex with dog, wrecking church nativity scene". ...
|Pfleger reinstated at St. Sabina after abuse investigation ends 2022-12-11|
- On Dec. 10, the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago reinstated activist/St. Sabina leader Father Michael Pfleger following an investigation into abuse allegations against the priest, The Chicago Tribune reported. Pfleger was forced away from the church in ...
|Respect for Marriage Act passage important step but not equity says LGBTQIA+/ally Catholic group 2022-12-09|
-- From a press release - Dec. 8, 2022. DignityUSA, the nation's foremost organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQIA+ people in our church and society, is pleased that both houses of Congress have now passed the ...
|WORLD Church of England, World Cup news, court rulings, Justin Trudeau 2022-11-27|
- The Church of England is defending the scrutinized guidance for its 4,700 primary schools on LGBTQ+ issues, claiming that it doesn't allow students as young as 5 to self-identify as the opposite sex, The Christian Post ...
|NATIONAL $1M donation, church departures, Harvey Milk, abortions, Grindr 2022-11-27|
- In Ohio, Dayton-based insurance company CareSource is donating $1 million to United Church Homes to support the development of a senior living facility at the site of the former Longfellow School that will also aim at ...
|VIEWPOINT The cults of Jesus, Putin and Trump 2022-10-21|
- Originalist Christian nationalism. They say politics makes strange bedfellows. There is none stranger than the curious linking of Jesus to the cults of Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump in the faith and politics of an alarming ...
|Father Michael Pfleger faces another sexual-abuse claim, steps away from duties 2022-10-16|
- For the second time in less than two years, minister/activist the Rev. Michael Pfleger, 73, is stepping away from his ministry while under investigation for a decades-old sexual abuse allegation, The Chicago Tribune reported. In the ...
|'Gays and Gospel' on Oct. 11 at Northwestern University 2022-10-05|
- "Gays and Gospel"—a tribute to the LGBTQ+ community and all the contributions it has made to gospel music from its genesis in the 1920s until today—will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 11 (National Coming Out Day), ...
|Suburban priest once again faces sexual-assault allegations 2022-09-18|
- A priest in the Chicago suburbs is on leave once again after sexual-assault allegations have been leveled against him, according to ABC 7 Chicago. Father David Ryan, the pastor at Lake Zurich's Saint Francis de Sales ...
|Texas judge: Mandated PrEP coverage violates religious freedom 2022-09-08|
- On Sept. 7, a federal judge in Texas (U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor) ruled that the government cannot force a Christian-owned company to cover HIV preventative medication (HIV PrEP) because it violates their religious freedom under ...
|Indiana Supreme Court upholds firing of gay Catholic-school teacher 2022-09-01|
- The Indiana Supreme Court ruled on Aug. 31 that the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indiana was within its rights to direct the termination of a Catholic-school teacher who was married to a person of the same ...
|Lake View church vandalized over pro-abortion stance 2022-08-26|
- A Lakeview church was vandalized Aug. 24 by two women who appeared to be upset by its sign backing reproductive rights, Block Club Chicago reported. Second Unitarian Church of Chicago, 656 W. Barry Ave., put up ...