WINDY CITY TIMES
||Positively Aware Magazine special issue on PrEP now available
This article shared 2648 times since Thu Aug 8, 2013
A special issue of Positively Aware magazine focusing on PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) for helping to prevent HIV is now available, both in print and online at positivelyaware.com .
The 24-page issue was supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Gilead Sciences, Inc.
PrEP is when medicines are used before possible exposures to HIV to prevent infection. Truvada, originally approved to treat HIV/AIDS in combination with other antiretrovirals in 2004, is composed of two medications, emtricitabine and tenofovir DF, and was approved for use in PrEP in 2012.
Contributors to the issue include Robert Grant, MD, MPH, senior investigator at the Gladstone Institutes and a Professor of Medicine at University of California, San Francisco, and senior investigator of the iPrEx study, one of the pivotal studies which led to approval of Truvada for PrEP. Grant states in his article that antiretroviral therapy has revolutionized care for people living with HIV/AIDS, and these same medications can be taken by HIV-negative people with the goal of staying free of HIV, which has led to unprecedented optimism about the prospect of ending AIDS.
The Chicago-based HIV/AIDS organization Test Positive Aware Network (TPAN) publishes Positively Aware. To order copies of the magazine, call 773-989-9400 or email email@example.com .
This article shared 2648 times since Thu Aug 8, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...
|PrEP pills to be free for insured people 2021-07-25|
- The U.S. government has stated that nearly all health insurers must cover the entire cost of HIV prevention treatments, according to U.S. News & World Report. That includes the two approved pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) drugs Truvada ...
|Summit looking for BIPOC LGBTQ+ attendees 2021-07-22|
- Pride Action Tank (PAT) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will co-host "Co-Creating Futures: A BIPOC LGBTQ+ Policy & Practices Summit," starting virtually on Saturday, July 31, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. CT. According to the event's webpage, "T ...
|30th Annual 2021 AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to benefit 25 groups, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-07-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Now in its 30th year, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Soldier Field on Saturday, October 2 to support individuals living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses. AIDS Run & ...
|NATIONAL Spa incident, N.J. items, AIDS gala, Tenn. lawsuits 2021-07-11|
- Tensions rose between protesters and counterprotesters in Los Angeles over a spa incident involving a transgender woman, The Hill reported. Recently, a cisgender woman complained to staff at Wi Spa in Koreatown after a transgender woman ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...