WINDY CITY TIMES
||Portrait series 'Still Searching' highlights missing Black women, children
--From a press release, video below
This article shared 686 times since Tue Oct 19, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. On Friday, Oct. 22, 2021 from 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Damon Lamar Reed, Nicole So Random, and 345 Art Gallery will collaborate to present Still Searching Art Exhibition at 345 Art Gallery in Chicago, IL (345 N Kedzie Avenue). This night of vivid, artistic display of visual and performing will highlight the faces of Chicagoland women who have disappeared. This show is to bring beauty, honor, and awareness to their stories, and serve as a call to action for all who encounter this timely creative experience. Some of the families in attendance will be members of Kierra Coles, Yasmine Acree, Sandra Rouse, and more. Also, several detectives that have worked on the cases of the 18 portraits that were painted will be in attendance. We are currently filming for the full-length Still Searching Documentary which was funded by Hulu, Kartemquin Films, and Still I Rise Films. There will be a raffle and a Silent Auction of 18 portraits of notable women and children that are still missing for purchase by Damon Lamar Reeed. All proceeds will be donated to the Still Searching Project, Linda's House, and a TBA non-profit organization that is determined to help find and/or shelter missing women and children.
The dialogue of the Still Searching Art Exhibition is "Do missing Black women and girls matter?" will be heavily addressed. The Chicago Crusader reports, "Many argue the stories of young Black girls and women who are missing don't get the same degree of local, national, and global attention as that of Elizabeth Smart or Natalee Holloway." While the proportion of those who have gone missing is steadily growing, additional details provided by law enforcement can be vague, lack valuable information, or fail to offer any resolution. Whether cases have gone inactive, been suspended, or remain unsolved with little to no progress, victims' families are left discouraged, angry, hurt, and in disbelief at the absence of essential local, national, global, and social media coverage.
Damon Reed combats this disparity by using his creative ability to paint these missing women and girls and keep their memories alive.
We are fighting to make sure no woman or young girl is left missing or behind! We are still searching.
Raised voice. Raised hand. In creative expression, we beckon her home. Our Mother, Daughter, Sister, Friend.
Tickets free, donations welcome: https://www.eventbrite.com/.../still-searching-art.
Still Searching Documentary and Paintings: stillsearchingdocumentary.com .
This article shared 686 times since Tue Oct 19, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MCA announces new curatorial leadership 2021-11-18|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) announces the appointments of two new leaders to its curatorial teamRene Morales, as the James W. Alsdorf Chief Curator; and Jamillah James, as Manilow Senior Curator. Morales and James ...
|Steppenwolf opens Liz and Eric Lefkofsky Arts and Education Center 2021-11-04|
- On Nov. 2, Steppenwolf Theatre Company opened its new 50,000-square-foot theater building and education facility, the Liz and Eric Lefkofsky Arts and Education Center. Designed by architect Gordon Gill FAIA of Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill ...
|THEATER 'A Michael Martin Tribute' Nov. 11-28 2021-10-27|
- Curious Theatre Branch will host a three-week celebration of the solo performance monologues of the late Michael Martin, curated by Kelly Anchors. A Michael Martin Tribute will take place Nov. 11-28 at Pride Arts Center, 4139 ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE reveal more fall, holiday event details 2021-10-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced more details for DCASE fall and holiday traditions as Chicago's vital arts and culture scene continues to safely and fully ...
|ATTRACTIONS Pizza pop-up, WNDR, Wrightwood 2021-10-22|
- Rewired's pizza pop-up: Rewired Pizza Cafe & Bar, 1102 W. Thorndale Ave., is getting in on the Halloween fun by paying homage to classic restaurant chains and "dressing up" as owner Daniel Barat's favorite pizza chain: ...
|Alphawood chooses LGBTQ+ individual to head foundation 2021-10-20|
- Alphawood Foundation Chicago announced Chirag G. Badlani as its newest executive director, effective Nov. 8. Badlani succeeds Jim McDonough, who retired this month after leading the foundation since 2012 and who will remain Alphawood's legal counsel ...
|3Arts awards nearly $1M to women artists, artists of color, Deaf, disabled artists 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (OCTOBER 18, 2021)—3Arts, the Chicago-based nonprofit grantmaking organization, will award Chicago artists with nearly $1 million in unrestricted cash grants during the 14th annual 3Arts Awards, taking place ...
|LGBT History Month: '40s and '50s instant photography gave LGBT people 'Safe/Haven' 2021-10-15|
- Two men dressed in drag for a tea party, and two women cuddled up at the beach. Today these might be benign photographs but, in the early 1950s, they were memories shuttered away from public view. ...
|ART Contemporary yet timeless exhibition 'Young, Gifted and Black' arrives at Gallery 400 2021-10-13|
- To be a Black art collector is to stand on the shoulders of a proud lineage. Throughout history, Black patrons have supported Black artists when nobody else did. Bernard Lumpkin—a New York City-based art patron, educator ...
|ART Van Gogh balloon celebrates installation's extension to Feb. 6 2021-10-11|
- Following a maiden flight in Toronto to herald the return of the city's "Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit," Lighthouse Immersive's Vincent van Gogh hot-air balloon made its way to Goebbert's Farm, in the Kane County village of ...
|THEATER REVIEW Songs for Nobodies 2021-10-07|
- Title: Songs for Nobodies. Playwright: Joanna Murray-Smith At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. Tickets: $30-$89. Runs through: Sunday, Oct. 31 You won't find their names in the history ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...
|ART Nick Cave, Bob Faust to unveil 'Rapt on the Mile' on Michigan Avenue 2021-10-04|
- The Magnificent Mile has recently installed a monumental, multi-story public art installation entitled "Rapt on The Mile" that renowned artists (and couple) Nick Cave and Bob Faust created. The mural, which now wraps the 679 N. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Queer/Art,' sports items, Kevin Bacon, Indya Moore 2021-10-03|
- Queer|ArtNew York City's home for the creative and professional development of LGBTQ+ artistsannounced the fall season of Queer|Art|Film, returning in person through Dec. 13, a press release noted. The line-up ...
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...