WINDY CITY TIMES
||Portrait series 'Still Searching' highlights missing Black women, children
--From a press release, video below
This article shared 1716 times since Tue Oct 19, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. On Friday, Oct. 22, 2021 from 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Damon Lamar Reed, Nicole So Random, and 345 Art Gallery will collaborate to present Still Searching Art Exhibition at 345 Art Gallery in Chicago, IL (345 N Kedzie Avenue). This night of vivid, artistic display of visual and performing will highlight the faces of Chicagoland women who have disappeared. This show is to bring beauty, honor, and awareness to their stories, and serve as a call to action for all who encounter this timely creative experience. Some of the families in attendance will be members of Kierra Coles, Yasmine Acree, Sandra Rouse, and more. Also, several detectives that have worked on the cases of the 18 portraits that were painted will be in attendance. We are currently filming for the full-length Still Searching Documentary which was funded by Hulu, Kartemquin Films, and Still I Rise Films. There will be a raffle and a Silent Auction of 18 portraits of notable women and children that are still missing for purchase by Damon Lamar Reeed. All proceeds will be donated to the Still Searching Project, Linda's House, and a TBA non-profit organization that is determined to help find and/or shelter missing women and children.
The dialogue of the Still Searching Art Exhibition is "Do missing Black women and girls matter?" will be heavily addressed. The Chicago Crusader reports, "Many argue the stories of young Black girls and women who are missing don't get the same degree of local, national, and global attention as that of Elizabeth Smart or Natalee Holloway." While the proportion of those who have gone missing is steadily growing, additional details provided by law enforcement can be vague, lack valuable information, or fail to offer any resolution. Whether cases have gone inactive, been suspended, or remain unsolved with little to no progress, victims' families are left discouraged, angry, hurt, and in disbelief at the absence of essential local, national, global, and social media coverage.
Damon Reed combats this disparity by using his creative ability to paint these missing women and girls and keep their memories alive.
We are fighting to make sure no woman or young girl is left missing or behind! We are still searching.
Raised voice. Raised hand. In creative expression, we beckon her home. Our Mother, Daughter, Sister, Friend.
Tickets free, donations welcome: www.eventbrite.com .../still-searching-art.
Still Searching Documentary and Paintings: stillsearchingdocumentary.com .
This article shared 1716 times since Tue Oct 19, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chef Art Smith talks upcoming dinner and activism 2023-05-26|
- More than 6 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, including more than 230,000 Illinoisans. Additionally, more than 11 million family members and friends serve as dementia caregivers, with more than 383,000 caregivers in Illinois. Unti ...
|Joy heals: Artist Hannah Sellers's works explore gender, trauma and clothing 2023-05-25|
- Note: This article mentions sexual assault and trauma. Color Club Gallery, 4146 N. Elston Ave., was well-lit by the early evening sun May 18 as the audience gathered for Q & A event that was part ...
|ATTRACTIONS Lose (and find) yourself in The Exhibit House 2023-05-12|
- Walking into Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave.) was an experience, for sure. After all, it's not what it used to be. Marshall Field's and its successor, Macy's, are goneas well as scores of other ...
|Warhol exhibition to open June 3 at College of DuPage 2023-05-12|
- Following the success of 2021's "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," the Cleve Carney Museum of Art and the McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage will open an exhibition of the works of legendary artist/photographer Andy Warhol ...
|Chicago Opera Theater announces new General Director Lawrence Edelson 2023-05-12|
--From a press release - May 12, 2023 (Chicago) — After a three-month nationwide search, the Chicago Opera Theater (COT) Board of Directors is pleased to announce that veteran artistic leader and stage director Lawrence Edelson has been named the next ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago introduces first-ever Artist-in-Residence program with soprano Whitney Morrison 2023-05-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (5/11/23) Anthony Freud, General Director, President & CEO of Lyric Opera of Chicago, announced the launch of a new Artist-in-Residence program. Developed by Lyric Unlimited, the company's learning ...
|LAMMY Awards announce host, presenters, special guests for June 9 event 2023-05-04|
--From a press release - New York, NY, May 4, 2023 — Lambda Literary, the nation's premier LGBTQ literary arts organization, announced updates and additions, including host, special guests and more at the upcoming 35th Annual Lambda Literary Awards — aka ...
|LGBTQ+ Intergenerational Dialogue Project hosts first art exhibit at Center on Addison 2023-04-30|
- On April 28, the LGBTQ+ Intergenerational Dialogue Project hosted on opening reception to kick off its first ever art exhibit, Iridescent Footprints: Stories and Glories of Our Lives, at Center on Addison. The exhibition features collaborative ...
|City of Chicago names inaugural Chicago Poet Laureate avery r. young 2023-04-24|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, in partnership with the Chicago Public Library (CPL), the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and the Poetry Foundation, proudly named avery r. young as the inaugural ...
|LA LGBT Center's gala raises $1M+; Leslie Jordan among those honored 2023-04-23|
- On April 22, the Los Angeles LGBT Center raised more than $1 million to support its lifeline services and advocacy benefiting the LGBTQ+ community ...
|Joseph Kraft: Gay Chicago artist talks activism, stereotypes, love of art 2023-04-20|
- Joseph Kraft has been an artist practically all his life. The Illinois native and Ukrainian Village resident's love of art has taken him to many places. His latest big move was more professional than geographical, as ...
|EXPO Chicago wraps up 10th-anniversary edition 2023-04-20|
- EXPO Chicago: The International Exposition of Contemporary and Modern Art concluded its 10th anniversary edition on April 16. Approximately 32,000 visitors viewed and/or purchased works by more than 80 curators ...
|Queer Art's Illuminations Grant to recognize Black trans visual artists 2023-04-18|
--From www.queer-art.org - The Queer|Art Illuminations Grant for Black Trans Women Visual Artists sheds light on the under-recognized contributions of Black trans women visual artists and provides critical support to their continuing work. The application period is open for ...
|Arts Alliance Illinois encourages creatives to apply for $50M in grants for pandemic losses 2023-04-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Arts Alliance Illinois is encouraging creatives across the state to apply for the B2B Arts (Illinois Creative Recovery) Grant, a historic $50 million in grant money being distributed by the Illinois Department of Commerce ...
|City of Chicago, DCASE announce 2023 Millennium Park Summer Season 2023-04-17|
--From a press release - City of Chicago and DCASE Announce 2023 Millennium Park Summer Season April 13, 2023 Free Concerts, Films, Workouts and More at the Midwest's #1 Attraction DCASE Communications email@example.com Download Photos ...
|Artemis Singers' summer performance urges listeners to be 'defiantly optimistic' |
|NATIONAL North Carolina, 'Pride Heroes,' school news, gay publication folds, Iowa|
|WORLD Global survey, Turkey, Russians in Argentina, trans-rights activist|
|SHOWBIZ Romance films, Megan Thee Stallion, Keith Haring, Cher, George Maharis|
|THEATER 'Star Wars' burlesque parody at Logan Auditorium|