WINDY CITY TIMES
||Patti to become first openly gay appellate judge
News update Wed., June 24, 2009
This article shared 3256 times since Wed Jun 24, 2009
The Illinois Appellate Court has named openly gay Cook County Circuit Court Judge Sebastian Patti, 57, to fill a vacancy on the bench, according to ChicagoBusiness.com . He will succeed Leslie South effective Aug. 3.
The Appellate Court is the second-highest court in Illinois, behind the state supreme court. Patti will serve on the 1st District bench.
Openly gay Cook County Court Judge Tom Chiola, who heads the Alliance of Illinois Judges, said, "We are moving up and on as we perform. We are being judged on our merit —just like everyone else."
When talking with Windy City Times last year about having LGBT judges on the bench, Patti said, "...it is important to have a reflection of society, as a whole. ... If the judges are not reflective of society as a whole, I can understand why people call into question if justice will be fair, impartial and speedy."
This article shared 3256 times since Wed Jun 24, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Eswatini ruling, Toronto deaths, Greece, blood donations 2022-05-15|
- The High Court in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) rejected an appeal for legal recognition by the local LGBTQ+-rights group Eswatini Sexual & Gender Minorities, citing "laws … prevailing in the kingdom" ...
|Judge blocks part of Alabama law criminalizing care for trans youth 2022-05-14|
- On May 13, U.S. District Judge Liles Burke blocked part of an Alabama law that made it a felony to prescribe gender-affirming puberty blockers and hormones to transgender minors, USA Today reported. ...
|Report: Malta is the best European country regarding LGBTQ+ rights 2022-05-14|
- An annual report courtesy of ILGA-Europe stated that Malta remains the best country in Europe for LGBTQ+ rights, Euronews noted. The association said that Malta (which scored 92 out of a possible 100) has maintained the ...
|Pro-choice coalition to rally May 14 in Chicago's Union Park 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - 'Rally for Abortion Justice,' part of a nationwide 'Bans Off Our Bodies' day of action will takes place in Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph St. on Saturday, May 14 at 9:30 a.m. The crowd may be 25,000 strong according to organizers. ...
|Texas court okays child-abuse inquries into families of trans kids 2022-05-13|
- On May 13, the Texas Supreme Court unanimously cleared the way for the state child-welfare agency to resume investigating parents and doctors who provide gender-affirming care for trans youthactions Gov. Greg Abbott has equated to child ...
|Griner's detention in Russia extended by a month 2022-05-13|
- The lawyer for Brittney Griner said May 13 that the WNBA star's pretrial detention in Russia has been extended by one month, ESPN reported. Alexander Boykov told The Associated Press he believed the relatively short extension ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...
|Former White Sox head trainer alleges sexual orientation-based bias 2022-05-11|
- Brian Ball, a former head trainer for the Chicago White Sox, has filed suit against the organization and General Manager Frederick Hahn. In the lawsuit, Ball alleges he was unjustly terminated in October 2020 without explanation, ...
|U.S. Senate Republicans and one Democrat block abortion-protection bill 2022-05-11|
- On May 11, the U.S. Senate failed to advance a Democrat-led bill that would enshrine broad protections for legal abortion nationwidea vote triggered by a leaked Supreme Court draft opinion that indicates Roe v. Wade will ...
|HRC calls for passage of the Women's Health Protection Act 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, joined a growing number of organizations calling for the ...
|Florida schools censoring students even before Don't Say Gay law goes into effect 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - TALLAHASSEE, FL As the school year ends, students across Florida are experiencing the inevitable censorship of Florida's anti-LGBTQ Don't Say Gay law recently signed by Governor DeSantis. The law's harmful impacts are not limited to ...
|LGBTQs 4X more likely than non-LGBTQs to choose a college away from home 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law conducted in collaboration with the Point Foundation, the nation's largest LGBTQ scholarship fund, finds LGBTQ people were four times more likely than non-LGBTQ people ...
|Rally planned during May 11 Biden visit to demand nationwide legalization of abortion 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Organizers and activists from the Party for Socialism and Liberation, Breaking the Chains Magazine, ANSWER Chicago, Code Pink, Make Noize for Change, and others will be rallying on Wed., May 11, at 6 ...
|Lightfoot announces a 'Justice for All Pledge' based on equity and access 2022-05-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot joined reproductive justice leaders to announce the Justice For All Pledge, in response to the leaked draft opinion by the majority of the Supreme Court of the United States ...
|WORLD South Africa, Greek ruling, soccer items, singer attacked 2022-05-08|
- South African President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa praised his country for creating a conducive environment for LGB people to practice same-sex marriages and partnerships, according to Erasing 76 Crimes. Speaking at a Freedom Day celebration in Mpumalanga, ...