||Passages: Rep. Julia Carson
This article shared 3840 times since Tue Jan 1, 2008
Rep. Julia Carson, the first Black and first woman to represent Indianapolis in Congress, died Dec. 15 after a battle with lung cancer. She was 69.
Carson recently announced her diagnosis and and that she would abandon plans to run for a seventh term in Indianapolis' 7th District.
Carson was first elected to Congress in 1996. She supported children's issues, women's rights and the eradication of homelessness. She also was a staunch opponent of the war in Iraq.
She began her political career in the 1960s. She ran for the Indiana Legislature in 1972 which turned out to be her first victory. She ran for Congress in 1996 after Jacobs retired.
Among the organizations mourning Carson was the Stonewall Democrats. Executive Director Jon Hoadley said in a statement that "Congresswoman Julia Carson was a true friend to National Stonewall Democrats. ... We remember and honor the life and work of our friend, Congresswoman Carson, while we extend to her family, staff and constituents our thoughts and prayers."
This article shared 3840 times since Tue Jan 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Local trans leader Maritxa Vidal 2022-07-06|
- Maritxa Vidal, a leader in the Chicago trans community, has died at age 64. She passed away June 9. As a child, Vidal immigrated from Cuba with her family hoping to find a better life. Vidal is a longtime advocate for ...
|Dan Wolf, owner of The Bagel, dies at 77 2022-07-04|
- Dan Wolf, the longtime owner of the iconic The Bagel Restaurant & Deli, has died at age 77. According to an obituary at legacy.com, Wolf was of the few child survivors of the infamous Theresienstadt concentration ...
|Clela Rorex, first County Clerk to issue same-sex marriage licences, has died 2022-06-20|
-- From a press release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County and the family of Clela Rorex are saddened to announce the death of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pioneering ally, Clela Rorex. On March 27,1975 Clela issued the first ...
|PASSAGES Onetime Gay Chicago publisher Craig Gernhardt 2022-06-15|
- Craig Gernhardtwho once was the publisher of the now-defunct Gay Chicagohas died at age 61, according to Tribute Archive. His father, Gay Chicago Magazine co-founder and Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame inductee Ralph Paul Gernhardt, passed ...
|PASSAGES Legendary Chicago transgender activist, icon, mentor Mama Gloria Allen 2022-06-14|
- Legendary Chicago Black transgender activist, icon and mentor "Mama" Gloria Allen died June 13 in her residence at Chicago's LGBTQ senior living facility Townhall Apartments in Lake View. The cause of death is unknown at this ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|PASSAGES Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan dies at 76 2022-06-13|
- Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan has passed away "peacefully at home" after several lengthy illnesses at age 76, The Chicago Tribune reported. Ryan was the state's attorney general from 1995 to 2003, and was the ...
|Local trans icon June LaTrobe dies 2022-06-11|
- June M. LaTrobe—a Chicago trans icon known for her activism—has passed away. She turned 81 on June 1. Being an advocate for the trans community, LaTrobe participated in many events (such as protests) and often took ...
|Red Stars tie again; Cubs win, White Sox lose; NU softball; ex-Bear dies 2022-06-02|
- The Chicago Red Stars battled the Washington Spirit to a 1-1 tie on June 1 at SeatGeek Stadium. The Red Stars' previous game, against the Portland Thorns, also resulted in a tie (2-2). An early header ...
|Late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron honored with street sign 2022-05-31|
- On May 30, during Memorial Day/International Mr. Leather (IML) weekend, the leather shop 64TEN honored late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron with a tribute and honorary street-naming ceremony. The events were held at the corner of Clark Street ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist, Steamworks co-founder Rick Stokes dies at 87 2022-05-07|
- Rick Earl Stokes, famously "the other gay candidate" who ran against Harvey Milk for San Francisco supervisor in 1977, died May 3 at age 87, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Stokes died in San Francisco ...
|PASSAGES Playwright/disability-rights activist Susan Nussbaum dies 2022-04-30|
- Susan Nussbauma Chicago playwright, novelist and longtime disability-rights activistdied April 28 at age 68. Nussbaum won the 2012 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Social Engaging Fiction for her novel Good Kings Bad ...