|Panelists Discuss LGBT Black Sexuality
by Max Smith
This article shared 3821 times since Sat Dec 1, 2007
Sankofa Way Ministries presented the forum 'Black Sexuality in the 21st Century: Change,' Nov. 10 at Center on Halsted. With Chicago Sun-Times columnist Laura Washington moderating, six people on a panel gave an assesment of how oppressive cultural, political and economic forces can be transformed.
Counselor and author Dr. Terri Pease said, 'Trauma happens in the space between aspiration and deflation of the spirit.' She discussed how emotional trauma, sexual assault and domestic violence too often are neither acknowledged nor reported to agencies that could initiate interventions and healing processes.
Rev. Rowland Jide Macaulay, pastor of House of Rainbow Metropolitan Community Church in Lagos, Nigeria, made an impassioned appeal to Americans to be responsive to the severe limitations on basic human rights of the LGBT community in Nigeria and other nations recovering from colonialism.
In addition, Equality Illinois Director of Public Policy and longtime human-rights activist Rick Garcia reviewed how building coalitions led to the passage of Illinois' anti-discrimination law in 2005—a measure that includes transgender persons. All Hispanic and Black state lawmakers voted for the law, except State Sen. and Rev. James Meeks.
Rev. Deborah Lake, director of Sankofa Way, said, 'What gets in the way of our loving, sharing and talking with each other is race, culture and society's laws.' She encouraged all people to move beyond those causes of prejudice and to consider Matthew 11:5—Jesus' language of love, caring and inclusion.
This article shared 3821 times since Sat Dec 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Samuel Savoir-Faire Williams's violin stylings help COH mark Black History Month 2024-02-23
- As part of its celebration of Black History Month, Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., presented a solo jazz performance by violinist Samuel Savoir-Faire Williams on Feb. 21. The two-hour long performance presented a showcase ...
|HIV criminal laws disproportionately impact Black men in Mississippi 2024-02-21
--From a press release - A new report by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that at least 43 people in Mississippi were arrested for HIV-related crimes between 2004 and 2021. Half of all arrests in the state ...
|Human Rights Campaign report releases new data on experiences of Black queer youth 2024-02-14
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC), the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a report in ...
|SAVOR 'The Bear,' new pizza lounge, Chicago Black Restaurant Week 2024-02-11
- "Bear" necessities: The third season of the Chicago-set series The Bear will debut in June, per Variety. FX chairman John Landgraf made the announcement during the network's presentation at the Television Critics Association's winter 2024 press ...
|SHOWBIZ Raven-Symone, women's sports, Wayne Brady, Jinkx Monsoon, British Vogue 2024-02-09
- In celebration of Black History Month, the LA LGBT Center announced that lesbian entertainer Raven-Symone will be presented with the Center's Bayard Rustin Award at its new event, Highly Favored, per a press release. She joins ...
|National Black Justice Coalition commemorates National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2024-02-07
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, Feb. 7, marks National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD). In commemoration, Dr. David J. Johns, CEO of the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC), a leading Black LGBTQ+/same-gender ...
|Comcast NBCUniversal partners with News is Out, Word In Black on fellowship program highlighting Black, LGBTQ+ issues 2024-02-06
--From a press release - Digital Equity Local Voices Lab Fellows to be placed at 16 local publications to receive training and create content Philadelphia (Feb. 6, 2024) — News is Out [ https://newsisout.com ] , a queer media collaborative of ...
|SAVOR Jean Banchet Awards, new Black-owned spots and free pizza 2024-02-04
- Congrats!: The winners of the Jean Banchet Awardswhich honor Chicago cuisinewere recently announced at Venue Six10. Longtime Chicago Tribune critic Phil Vettel was (justifiably) honored with the Culinary Excellence of ...
|ART Champaign display looks at the Midwest Black lesbian experience 2024-02-03
- In Illinois, archival photos are the centerpiece of a new display at the Krannert Art Museum focusing on the Black lesbian experience in the Midwest, IPM reported. The new solo exhibition by St. Louis-based artist Jen ...
|SAVOR Going 'Underground,' change at Skylark and Mango Pickle closing 2024-01-29
- Pop(-up) life: Chef Mariya Moore-Russellwho guided the local spot Kikko to a Michelin star, becoming the first Black woman to helm a kitchen with one of the food world's highest honorsis returning to Chicago to lead ...
|Dr. David Johns named NBJC CEO 2023-12-18
- The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC)—a national Black LGBTQ+/same-gender loving (SGL)-rights organization, announced Dr. David J. Johns as its new chief executive officer, effective Jan. 2, 2024. Johns, who will ...
|'When Black queer people win, everybody wins': Foundation releases report to improve equity at community orgs 2023-11-28
- In November, Lighthouse Foundation released its 2023 update on its research project, the Black Queer Equity Index, providing a guide that non-profit leaders can use to improve the experiences of marginalized employees and clients. Since 2020, ...
|Jerry Mitchell bops into Boop! 2023-11-27
- Director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell is bringing black-and-white Boop! The Betty Boop Musical into a world of color at the CIBC Theatre this winter. It's a pre-Broadway world premiere for the musical starring Jasmine Amy Rogers ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, queer novel, 'Tammy Faye,' queer DJ, Bella Ramsey 2023-11-24
- Billy Porter released his long-awaited new album, Black Mona Lisa, via Island Records UK/Republic Records, and it's executive-produced by Justin Tranter, a press release noted. Porter said, "So many of the songs on my album have ...
|Black Excellence Awards winners named, inaugural Chicago Black Arts Hall of Fame inductees honored 2023-11-08
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov. 7, 2023)—The nonprofit Black Arts & Culture Alliance of Chicago is proud to announce the winners of its 23rd Annual Black Excellence Awards, honored last night in a festive celebration at Black Ensemble Theater. ...