|PROTESTERS CONFRONT MINUTEMEN VIGILANTES NEAR SAN DIEGO
by REX WOCKNER
This article shared 4068 times since Mon Aug 1, 2005
CAMPO, Calif.—About 150 progressive protesters confronted a small group of 'Border Watch' vigilantes July 16 as the 'minutemen' made their first appearance in California.
Like their cohorts in Arizona, the California minutemen believe the U.S. Border Patrol is ineffective in preventing illegal crossings of the Mexico/U.S. border.
They promise to monitor the fence and help the Border Patrol catch more undocumented crossers. Their current campaign runs until Aug. 7.
The progressive demonstrators marched throughout the small town located in the desert 50 miles east of San Diego and stopped at the Veterans of Foreign Wars hall to hurl invectives at the people present there for allegedly supporting the minutemen.
'Racists go home,' the group chanted. 'We're not going to tolerate this kind of racist behavior from these vigilante groups,' said one marcher.
The protesters set up a campsite at the end of a dirt road 50 yards from the border fence and said they planned to remain there until July 19.
'We came here, we rallied, we showed them we're serious, we showed them they can't get away with this kind of bullshit,' said a group spokesmen.
Campo is less than a mile from the border and home to a large Border Patrol headquarters.
This article shared 4068 times since Mon Aug 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Lawsuits filed against USCIS for failing to hear Ukrainian, Russian LGBTQ asylum claims 2023-08-02
--From a press release - NEW YORK, NY — Legal Services NYC and Wilmer Hale announce two new lawsuits against the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of two LGBTQ asylum seekers, one from Russia and another from ...
|Transgender Day of Resilience: Town Hall panelists tackle allyship, discrimination and immigration 2022-11-23
- Brave Space Alliance (BSA), Life Is Work (LIW) and Chicago Therapy Collective (CTC) hosted three free events across the city that they namedTDOR Weekend: A New Era, Together to celebrate ...
|LGBTQ+ rights and immigration activist Edafe Okporo to be honored with American Heritage Award 2022-06-14
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, June 13, 2022—The American Immigration Council will honor global LGBTQ+ rights activist and founder of Refuge America, Edafe Okporo, with its American Heritage Award on Friday, June 17 at the Javits Center in New York. ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11
- Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13
--From a press release - CHICAGO Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6 9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|Quigley again calls for end to detention of trans migrants 2021-07-09
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding Member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, led thirty House Democrats in calling for an end to ...
|OP-ED Foreign drug pricing puts America's most vulnerable patients last 2021-07-03
By Guy Anthony - It's no coincidence that American companies led the charge to develop COVID-19 vaccines. Numerous policies from strong patent protections to a welcoming immigration system help ensure that the world's smartest scientists can ...
|Quigley advocates for trans immigrants during ICE hearing 2021-05-13
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, questioned Acting Director of Immigration ...
|Applications for asylum based on LGBT status top 11,000 between 2012, 2017
--From a press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law estimates that 11,400 applications for asylum on the basis of LGBT status were filed in the U.S. between 2012 and 2017. Three out of ...
|TANIA UNZUETA: Fighting for justice, one cause at a time 2021-03-04
- LGBTQ, immigration and political activist Tania Unzueta has spent the last three years living in Georgia involved in political and electoral organizing. She returned to Chicago in January with her partner. Unzueta came to Chicago from ...
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...
|Cook County Board unanimously approves immigration resolution
- On Jan. 28, the Cook County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved resolution #21-0495, which calls upon the federal government to implement policies to protect the immigrant community and strengthen the immigration system in the United States. ...
|Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
- In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its ...
|Lambda Legal, others challenge Trump administration's asylum rule
- Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality and co-counsel Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP filed a federal lawsuit, Immigration Equality v. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, challenging the Trump administration's recently published ...